Coral foods and red-sea ratio

rueric

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I have been struggling to keep nutrients up in my "coral QT" nano tank.
It is a fishless system with the intent of housing inverts and corals only (For ich and other coral pests).

I'm currently feeding benepets benereef 3x a week, with daily dosing of brightwells coralamino (5 drops)
I would occasionally mix in reefroids with the benereef and sometimes switch it up with AB+

I'd like to ask the folks on r2r if there are other foods I should look into that when broadcast or target fed in the system, would raise the nitrates and phosphates similar to the redfield ratio.

Thank you!

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I add ReefEnergy AB+ daily, Reef Roids 2x/week, Nyos Coral Nectar and Instant Plankton 2x/week, Nyos Goldpods daily, Aquaforest Vitality and Energy every 2 days and target feed Nyos LPS Power 2x/week. I'm not sure if all of those would be enough to boost your nutrients, but these are the supplements I use.

I don't know what you run for filtration or how often you change it, but you could look at changing less frequently to see if that will boost your nutrients.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure why you wouldn't just dose what is needed? I hate the idea of feeding more(if your feeding enough to begin with), as the breakdown of foods adds more to your water then just nitrates and phosphates.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's no particular reason to use foods with a redfield ratio of N to P, there's not much data on the N to P ratio in most foods, and and there's no reason to think consumption matches the redfield ratio. There are many reef processes that do not follow that ratio. Some only consume N or only consume P.

In short, ignore the whole misleading discussion of redfield ratios (IMO). It's just not useful, IMO.

OP
OP
R

rueric

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the recommended Nitrate dosing supplement?
My recent epiphany in this hobby, stabilize parameters by regular water changes (weekly, 20-30%).
I've seen both my tanks have rising alk despite no dosing, so in order to just let things stabilize, I want to try being consistent with water changes (In the past, it was once a month).

Since my nano tank is a fishless coral qt 10g system, I'm pretty sure this frequency of water changes will be good for any trace element replenishment, but will make the system too clean (No/low nitrate/phosphate).

I think as a rule of thumb, I want to dose nitrate into bucket just before the water change.
I'll of course need to test first to see consumption rate, but hopefully this logic makes sense?

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DIY is sodium nitrate or calcium nitrate there might be others.

ESV has one that is calcium nitrate. Tropic Marin and Brightwell have one but I do not know anything about them.

I am also struggling with keeping levels up in a coral QT tank

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 50 42.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 21.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 41 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back