Coral for sexy shrimp?

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow saltiness,

Can anyone recommend a coral for sexy shrimp? I had some fake corals in my tank (soft silicone) that they'd taken up residence in but now that I have added some soft corals they have abandoned the fake coral and taken up residence in my corky finger gorg. I don't know if they're eating it or just irritating it but my corky isn't happy. I would like to get the sexys a coral that will be fine with them (not be irritated). I'm about ready to put the sexys on a skewer and BBQ them. These are my first corals and the corky is taking the brunt of the assault. Chasing them off does nothing. They just return.

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a coral but I would totally recommend A bta or a flower nem. I prefer flower anemones since they are very hardy and they are magnificent.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow saltiness,

Can anyone recommend a coral for sexy shrimp? I had some fake corals in my tank (soft silicone) that they'd taken up residence in but now that I have added some soft corals they have abandoned the fake coral and taken up residence in my corky finger gorg. I don't know if they're eating it or just irritating it but my corky isn't happy. I would like to get the sexys a coral that will be fine with them (not be irritated). I'm about ready to put the sexys on a skewer and BBQ them. These are my first corals and the corky is taking the brunt of the assault. Chasing them off does nothing. They just return.
they don't eat coral, just dance. They like having homes, and love RFA, RFA do not move much usually and could be a great choice for your tank to house those little guys

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a coral but I would totally recommend A bta or a flower nem. I prefer flower anemones since they are very hardy and they are magnificent.
Awesome, thanks for this! I guess an RFA is next on the list. My poor Corky is just a tiny frag and to look at it all you could see were the three sexys all over it. I have four other corals in there but for some reason the Corky was their target. Haha.

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they don't eat coral, just dance. They like having homes, and love RFA, RFA do not move much usually and could be a great choice for your tank to house those little guys
That's good to know. I moved the Corky to an area that the sexys don't seem to want to go so hopefully it recovers. All three sexys converged on this poor gorg and it's just a tiny frag. All the polyps retracted. I'm looking for an RFA now to keep them happy and off my softies. :)

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
as mentioned above, anemone will be best, they will munch on corals. They are so cute the little buggers, I dont get mad at them, but they have finished off my zoa's, and moved onto my pally rock. They do walk along all corals, and they like to taste test sps corals, they dont seem to bother lps corals, but zoa's and pally's will disappear. I dont know what happens when all the zoa's and pally's are gone....

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sexies do like rock flower nems. Natural host. They will also go with almost any soft coral as mine do that. I have never had them eat the corals. Just may take time to adjust to the shrimp being on them. The corky will be fine.

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
as mentioned above, anemone will be best, they will munch on corals. They are so cute the little buggers, I dont get mad at them, but they have finished off my zoa's, and moved onto my pally rock. They do walk along all corals, and they like to taste test sps corals, they dont seem to bother lps corals, but zoa's and pally's will disappear. I dont know what happens when all the zoa's and pally's are gone....
I guess I never thought about them having a host. I got them long before I added corals. I was happy with them on the fake coral and thought they'd stay there. LOL. I think if my Corky frag was bigger it would be fine but the three pronged attack was too much. I might have to banish them to a bucket until I get an RFA. Haha.

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sexies do like rock flower nems. Natural host. They will also go with almost any soft coral as mine do that. I have never had them eat the corals. Just may take time to adjust to the shrimp being on them. The corky will be fine.
Thanks for this! That's a relief about my Corky. It was doing so well before the assault. Haha. I was so surprised to see all three of the sexys latch onto it. I guess it was the fluffiest one in the tank and the closest thing to a nem. LOL I didn't even think they might be a creature that has a host. I got them about two or three months ago, long before I added corals. I thought they were like hermits (not as CUC but nomads that wandered the tank). I assumed they would stay on the fake coral. It only took a few days for them to discover the Corky and move in. LOL

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was also going to say... Once your zoas and pallys are gone you might have to break out the target feeder. LOL I might have to do that with mine until I get an RFA. :)

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 22 84.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 7.7%
Back