Coral growing but melting?

phishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have clove polyps and xenia in my 6 gallon tank. The clove polyps have spreaded 4-5 polyps on the rockwork but at the same time the frag on the frag plug has melted/gotten smaller. Same with the xenia, the xenia has grown into the edge of the plug but the middle of it has disappeared. Nitrate at 0ppm Amm 0 Nitrite 0, are the nutrients too low for clove polyps and xenia? Duncan opening and fat, GSP has grown a lot, finger leather and toadstool are open and happyz

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like they're just migrating to me. What are your phosphates? I would worry more about PO4 than nitrate (I never trest for nitrite) corals prefer Nitrogen in the forms of urea, amino acids and ammonia and may have simbiotic diazotrophs that can convert N2 (free Nitrogen) into nitrates if needed.

OP
OP
P

phishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like they're just migrating to me. What are your phosphates? I would worry more about PO4 than nitrate (I never trest for nitrite) corals prefer Nitrogen in the forms of urea, amino acids and ammonia and may have simbiotic diazotrophs that can convert N2 (free Nitrogen) into nitrates if needed.
i don’t have a phosphate test kit ye
t

OP
OP
P

phishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
all my corals are open i’m just worried about my toadstool and finger leather melting those are my favorite, i didn’t know they migrate

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Softies enjoy higher nitrate and phosphate systems.
Zero nitrate starves everyone including those who feed corals. Some believe the imbalance triggers Dino or other pest algaes and bacteria.
I’d bump nitrate to 5-10ppm and ensure phosphate is available and stable at 0.05-.15ppm.

OP
OP
P

phishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zero nitrate starves everyone including those who feed corals. Some believe the imbalance triggers Dino or other pest algaes and bacteria.
I’d bump nitrate to 5-10ppm and ensure phosphate is available and stable at 0.05-.15ppm.
so this is the reason my xenia and clove polyps are melting?

OP
OP
P

phishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My mag is 1100 and alk is 7 is that finev

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back