Coral Growout Challenge

Ethan Zier

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the title says it all, what so you contribute to good grow out?
Personally I think
1) Food is necessary for growth
2) Adequate lighting is required
3) Proper filtration
4) Water condition
Coral Growout Challenge.jpg
1. I feed my corals for the most part every other day, sometimes twice a day if I'm feeling lucky. That being said I am doing target feeding to limit my waste. Also, I feed 3-5 different foods at the same time on average as well as two supplements. The biggest advice I can give is Make your own food, go to the grocery store and buy some little shrimp and blend them up till they are basically all liquid. Freeze them in thin sheets in plastic bags.
2. I build my own LED lighting to create the best growing spectrum and intensity Per $.
3. Right now I have a 20g tank with a hang on the back filter. Yep, that's right. No sump either just a inside refugium that grows chato. Along with the filter I have 2 additional power heads in there creating more current. One of the power heads is on 24/7 and the other is as well, however I'm experimenting with running it only during the day or night / or all day and night.
4. I check for pH two or three times a week and do water changes maybe once a month to rebalance the minerals.

I realize that this isn't the recommended way to run an aquarium, however all my softies, LPS, and most of my SPS been doing really well. When I have a larger living area ill build a huge system with a sump and the works. For now, this is all that beginners to intermediate need.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something is working for those dang chaos, I cant get rid of them fast enough haha. ive never cared for them.
lol that’s a good problem to have, they are still fairly valuable. $40 a head near me

OP
OP
Ethan Zier

Ethan Zier

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's crazy I cant imagine what some of the other corals cost near you (assuming there is a price correlation)
And thank you, I'm always looking for some cool or rare corals.

OP
OP
Ethan Zier

Ethan Zier

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates?
I can always post more pictures but its hard to show good updates because I'm fragging everything. Anything in-particular you want to see / update on?
Also I'm moving next month so ill be setting up another tank soon. Possiably going to do one 40g frag tank and one 20g clownfish tank.. Then cultures of phyto and pods to.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back