Coral help. Candy canes not opening

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys. I’ve been feeding these kryptonite canes pellets. I think I’ve been feeding them too much. I was feeding them daily. A few days ago they stopped accepting pellets and since yesterday they aren’t opening as wide as usual. Is this normal? Nothing else in the tank is acting strange. Even some trumpets I had which died and are regenerating are doing ok. Did I tick my candy cane off? Will it be ok? Photos of both coral attached. As well as previous photo of candy canes.

6324985B-813F-4BAA-99CE-5DFB6427E425.jpeg 6869EAB1-A8CE-4407-B99B-C20D3303BB9B.jpeg 2E11EF82-AE65-4E2E-A37B-13C7D928C942.jpeg

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe a little more info about your tank what are your tank parameters when I used to feed I fed 1-2 times a week now I don’t feed ever. Maybe try feeding less

OP
OP
Zoa_Fanatic

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe a little more info about your tank what are your tank parameters when I used to feed I fed 1-2 times a week now I don’t feed ever. Maybe try feeding less
Parameters are:

nitrate - 15 ppm
Ammonia -0
Nitrite - 0
pH - 8.2
Salinity -1.022 (last check)

OP
OP
Zoa_Fanatic

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are they turning brown? If so, they might need more lighting. Move them further up the rocks.
No they had some tissue damage that made them brown. They are actually regrowing green tissue over the brown areas. I’ve tried feeding them but the last few days they’ve been spitting out any pellets they try to eat. Is that normal?

OP
OP
Zoa_Fanatic

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont feed mine. Just let them catch the food you feed your fish. Plus photosynthesis and fish poop should be plenty. they grow fast

20191029_202824.jpg
Hey I put my parameters up and they’ve been spitting out pellets I try to feed them. Is that normal? Do they just not like pellets anymore?

Red Leader

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they just got tired of eating the same thing every day. ;) try feeding them once a week and see if they accept it. Maybe switch up the food too and see if they accept it.

Gernader

Reefing is a never-ending addiction...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Parameters are:

nitrate - 15 ppm
Ammonia -0
Nitrite - 0
pH - 8.2
Salinity -1.022 (last check)
The salinity is very low. You need to increase it slowly to 1.025 to 1.026.

OP
OP
Zoa_Fanatic

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The salinity is very low. You need to increase it slowly to 1.025 to 1.026.
I keep it at 1.025. My hydrometer broke and I’m using my backup which is algea encrusted. I’m not sure the actual reading since it can’t rise as far as it normally would without all the crap built up on it. I’m assuming it’s closer to 1.024-1.025 because I always mix water at 1.025. But I did top off with a gallon of fresh in a 32 gallon tank. Going to get a new hydrometer in the next few days to check for sure. It’s one of the crappy in tank ones.

OP
OP
Zoa_Fanatic

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they just got tired of eating the same thing every day. ;) try feeding them once a week and see if they accept it. Maybe switch up the food too and see if they accept it.
Should I only feed when their mouths are open? If theyre closed are they not hungry?

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should get a good salinity checker As you first step seems you really don’t know where your salt is at

ludnix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I only feed when their mouths are open? If theyre closed are they not hungry?
It's definitely more direct if their feeding tentacles are out, but this is only going to be at night or if you added some sort of food item that they smell in the water.

I would stop feeding them for now and focus on your water chemistry, I doubt they are starving or overfed, they are sensitive to water chemistry though and will not extend to accept food when they are not in ideal conditions. These are a coral that you really don't need to feed directly if the rest of the tank's chemistry is doing well. They will grow very quickly with once a week feedings but only if the water chemistry is there too.

EDIT: If you're not at a stage with this tank where you regularly check alkalinity I would consider just trying to prep a water change to get the chemistry closer to ideal.

OP
OP
Zoa_Fanatic

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's definitely more direct if their feeding tentacles are out, but this is only going to be at night or if you added some sort of food item that they smell in the water.

I would stop feeding them for now and focus on your water chemistry, I doubt they are starving or overfed, they are sensitive to water chemistry though and will not extend to accept food when they are not in ideal conditions. These are a coral that you really don't need to feed directly if the rest of the tank's chemistry is doing well. They will grow very quickly with once a week feedings but only if the water chemistry is there too.
My other trumpets are doing great is the thing. Could it have been the change in flow? It would’ve effected them and not the trumpets due to placement.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 for stop feeding corals all together and concentrated on water quality and peramiters for now all the corals will be great without target feeding

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Moderate light (not bright) and moderate water flow, feed 1X per week as tank will feed them also. Your salt level very low. Increase to 1.024-1.026 range and temp of 77-79
Chart below should help you.

Parameters.png

OP
OP
Zoa_Fanatic

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moderate light (not bright) and moderate water flow, feed 1X per week as tank will feed them also. Your salt level very low. Increase to 1.024-1.026 range and temp of 77-79
Chart below should help you.

Parameters.png
My salt level is likely 1.025. That’s what I mix my water at and my hydrometer broke last week. I measured using a heavily encrusted in tank hydrometer that can’t rise all the way due to coralline buildup. That’s just what it read. Getting a new one today.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back