Coral id and bleaching

  • Thread starter Thread starter Ghostcat
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Ghostcat

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 28, 2017
Messages
26
Reaction score
10
What state or country do you live in
Iowa
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A new freebie coral came and after 2 days I've noticed some bleaching, it is sitting in the substrate with low led lighting any idea what it is and how to stop bleaching?

IMG_0558.JPG
 
A new freebie coral came and after 2 days I've noticed some bleaching, it is sitting in the substrate with low led lighting any idea what it is and how to stop bleaching?

IMG_0558.JPG
I believe that's a goniopora. I don't know much about them but I have heard they will not live past a couple of years regardless of perfect conditions. I had one that was perfect for a year and then just fell apart with no change in water chemistry or light.
 
Yup to Goniopora.

Aquacultured pieces appear to do much better than wild or maricultured specimens, reds are typically hardier.

There appears to be a good deal of cyanobacteria on the sand bed and that will irritate this coral. Perhaps try an area of higher flow and check for excessive nutrients and intervene as needed.
 
The flesh is just falling off are this point do you think Cyano can cause this much damage or is there some parasite possibly behind this, I've dipped in Bayer before placing in tank

image.jpg
 
Many Goniopora specimens are ravenous feeders and signs of malnutrition are loss of tissue, failure to fully expand, etc. Impossible to say if this might be the cause without more details...
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 32.0%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 8 32.0%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 7 28.0%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 36.0%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 4 16.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new