Coral id and bleaching

Ghostcat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A new freebie coral came and after 2 days I've noticed some bleaching, it is sitting in the substrate with low led lighting any idea what it is and how to stop bleaching?

IMG_0558.JPG

Carlo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A new freebie coral came and after 2 days I've noticed some bleaching, it is sitting in the substrate with low led lighting any idea what it is and how to stop bleaching?

IMG_0558.JPG
I believe that's a goniopora. I don't know much about them but I have heard they will not live past a couple of years regardless of perfect conditions. I had one that was perfect for a year and then just fell apart with no change in water chemistry or light.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup to Goniopora.

Aquacultured pieces appear to do much better than wild or maricultured specimens, reds are typically hardier.

There appears to be a good deal of cyanobacteria on the sand bed and that will irritate this coral. Perhaps try an area of higher flow and check for excessive nutrients and intervene as needed.

OP
OP
Ghostcat

Ghostcat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The flesh is just falling off are this point do you think Cyano can cause this much damage or is there some parasite possibly behind this, I've dipped in Bayer before placing in tank

image.jpg

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many Goniopora specimens are ravenous feeders and signs of malnutrition are loss of tissue, failure to fully expand, etc. Impossible to say if this might be the cause without more details...

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 17 10.6%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 43 26.7%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 78 48.4%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 20 12.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back