Coral ID Help Please

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 10, 2018
Messages
1,547
Reaction score
1,005
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you guys think this is? I got it as just a tiny tiny nub, and have grown it out a bit, but I can’t quite put my finger on what it is.

Thanks!

958915E2-5286-4E04-BF12-DBECDB00A086.jpeg
 
Could be a pocillopora but I am leaning more towards its cousin, the Stylophora. I have a Stylo that looks really similar to yours.
 
Green stylopora
 
Thanks, guys. Aren’t stylophora the kind of corals that can reproduce sexually and end up all over your tank?
 
Aren’t stylophora the kind of corals that can reproduce sexually and end up all over your tank?
You are thinking of Pocci. I'm not good enough to tell the difference between the two with such a small frag.
 
You are thinking of Pocci. I'm not good enough to tell the difference between the two with such a small frag.
Ah, thank you. Still a bit of a mystery which this is, but I guess people are leaning towards stylo.

It just doesn’t have the sort of clear neon tips, and more pinkish/purple body I see in most stylo photos, so I’m still not 100% sure.
 
Thanks, guys. Aren’t stylophora the kind of corals that can reproduce sexually and end up all over your tank?
Ahhh, i think you meant reproduce asexually. What you are referring to is called polyp bailout, where some of the polyps detach from the main frag/colony and settle someplace else. I think many corals do this including stylos but Pocis are notorious for polyp bailout and successfully proliferating throughout the tank. Hence why some people find Pocis to be a bit of a pest.
 
What do you guys think this is? I got it as just a tiny tiny nub, and have grown it out a bit, but I can’t quite put my finger on what it is.

Thanks!

958915E2-5286-4E04-BF12-DBECDB00A086.jpeg
Here’s my green stylo
My poci is in the background. The white parts were due to my Sexy Shrimps making a snack out of it. The stylo was initially in an area with high flow but not high enough to deter the shrimps from snacking.
 

Attachments

  • A03F328C-5155-4C7E-8AF7-BFFB773F1FA5.jpeg
    A03F328C-5155-4C7E-8AF7-BFFB773F1FA5.jpeg
    190.2 KB · Views: 42

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 11 44.0%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 7 28.0%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new