Coral ID Help

lrosenberg5

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All - I recently received a few corals from a fellow reefer and have had them in my tank for two days now. I have some idea (based on googling pictures) of what these are but would appreciate if anyone knew exactly what these corals were! Thanks in advance

IMG_1489.JPG
IMG_1490.JPG
IMG_1491.JPG
IMG_1488.JPG

nanonøkk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if the first one looks like a gargonian
the second a birds nest of some kind
the third one reminds me of a kenya tree coral
and the last one i have no clue

F i s h y

2nd In Command. Where is Frank's firebug badge?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if the first one looks like a gargonian
the second a birds nest of some kind
the third one reminds me of a kenya tree coral
and the last one i have no clue
This and the last one looks like some form of plating montipora. It doesn't look happy. Neither do the others :( hopefully with some time they will come around.

OP
OP
L

lrosenberg5

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea hopefully they bounce back within a day or two and that’s what i thought the last one was
Hoping that is the case as well. There were about ~6 pieces of coral all transported in one tupperware container, although only for ~30 min, so not surprised that it might take a bit for them to bounce back. The GSP and Zoas I got both look good.

The parameters are:
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: <5ppm (API test looks zero)
Phosphate: 0ppm
Calcium: ~350ppm
Alkalinity: 7dKH
Salnity: 1.024
PH: 8

Not sure about final placement but for now the zoa, birds nest and montipora are front of the tank near the sand. The kenya tree is top 3rd near the middle. The gargonian is back corner but the top reaches towards the middle. See the picture for scale.

Running a waterbox 20 cube, AI prime light, and red sea salt. Tank has been up and running for 7 weeks. Still figuring all this out so appreciate the help

Attachments

• Tank.jpg
    Tank.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 37

nanonøkk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hoping that is the case as well. There were about ~6 pieces of coral all transported in one tupperware container, although only for ~30 min, so not surprised that it might take a bit for them to bounce back. The GSP and Zoas I got both look good.

The parameters are:
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: <5ppm (API test looks zero)
Phosphate: 0ppm
Calcium: ~350ppm
Alkalinity: 7dKH
Salnity: 1.024
PH: 8

Not sure about final placement but for now the zoa, birds nest and montipora are front of the tank near the sand. The kenya tree is top 3rd near the middle. The gargonian is back corner but the top reaches towards the middle. See the picture for scale.

Running a waterbox 20 cube, AI prime light, and red sea salt. Tank has been up and running for 7 weeks. Still figuring all this out so appreciate the help
ok some gargonians are non photosynthetic so that might be why that’s guys sad but they also like a lot of flow

the birds nest and montiporas like high to medium flow and alot of light sometimes so that could be the problem

and for the kenya tree it might be shedding but my one in my old tank was at the bottom of the tank and it grew like a weed so that one might be a lighting issue

and calcium is also on the low side as well it should be around 380-450ppm and salinity is also low i was having problems with corals at that low i would try and bring it up to 1.026

OP
OP
L

lrosenberg5

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Basically all the pieces that I got are looking much better. Kenya tree is open, birds nest is looking good.

I moved the monti cap to the top middle of the tank and it is the only one that doesn't look like it is doing well. Color doesn't look great and there is a large green spot at the top middle and underneath. Also, there are these small white squiggly things at the bottom. Can't tell if they are living organisms, but given the look of this frag, should I just throw out?

Attachments

• Monti 1.jpg
    Monti 1.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 33
  • Monti 2.jpg
    Monti 2.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 21

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
1- gorgonia
2- Stylopora
3- Kenyii tree
4- Monti foliosa

Glad they bounced back

OP
OP
L

lrosenberg5

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @vetteguy53081. Any thoughts on the state of the monti? I scraped at one of those white round marks underneath and it was pretty hard (vs. organism-like)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thanks @vetteguy53081. Any thoughts on the state of the monti? I scraped at one of those white round marks underneath and it was pretty hard (vs. organism-like)
Montipora require both clean water and consistent high levels of major ions to maintain their growth rate. They are not quite as temperamental as Acropora however suboptimal water chemistry can lead to undesirable changes in color or cause the polyps of the coral to retract for extended periods of time. There are three major chemical parameters that are needed by Montipora to build its stony skeleton. These parameters are Calcium, Alkalinity, and Magnesium.
So, the very first thing you should check is your water chemistry parameters. Honestly, this is probably the first thing you should check, no matter how many corals are dying or not looking right. Poor water parameter levels are the fastest way to kill off your entire reef tank, either in quick succession or through the promotion of the growth of harmful algae or dino In order of importance, check the following:
  • Salinity
  • Temperature
  • Alkalinity
  • Calcium
  • Magnesium
  • Ammonia
  • Nitrate

Back