Coral id- LPS

ilikefish69

Kind of a Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know what kind of coral this is and what it requires?

image.jpg

Neuratox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not an expert in these types of LPS, but it looks like an Acanthastrea to me. I don't have any of these in my tank, so I'd look up more info on this class.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s either a Goniastrea, Dipsastrea, or Coelastrea. These are typically sold as ‘Favias’ but there are no true Favias in the hobby, there are only two species left in the genus and they’re both Caribbean species, there is no stony coral collection in the Caribbean. It can be very difficult to narrow down the exact species of these types of brain corals, but if I had to guess, I’d say it’s a Goniastrea. It is most definitely not a Lobophyllia, Acanthestrea, or Blastomussa.

encrustingacro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dipsastraea I think, however, astrea also can have that color morph.

Could possibly be Barabattoia amicorum, too. With so many of these types of LPS looking similar, it's really tough to make a positive ID.

Good news is that care requirements are quite similar for all these.
Barabattoia has been reclassified as dipsastraea.

It’s either a Goniastrea, Dipsastrea, or Coelastrea. These are typically sold as ‘Favias’ but there are no true Favias in the hobby, there are only two species left in the genus and they’re both Caribbean species, there is no stony coral collection in the Caribbean. It can be very difficult to narrow down the exact species of these types of brain corals, but if I had to guess, I’d say it’s a Goniastrea. It is most definitely not a Lobophyllia, Acanthestrea, or Blastomussa.
The only plocoid goniastrea species is g. stelligera, and those have smaller corallites and pale flesh. Most goniastreas also have pronounced paliform lobes.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.8%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 72 42.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%

Back