Coral ID two new frags.

averagesteve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received these in a coral frag order and they weren't labeled, still new to coral so I'm not sure exactly what they are. Would like to find out so I can properly care for them.. Thanks!
20230113_130930.jpg
20230113_130937.jpg

OP
OP
A

averagesteve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cyphastrea and leptoseris respectively

1. Cyphastrea (decadia?)
2. Psammocora

Thanks! The second one was sold me to as an LPS, but both Psammocora and Leptoseris are SPS.. not saying either of you are wrong, I'll have to keep an eye on it.

I actually noticed one more that I' not 100% on, though I think it's a Ricordea?
20230113_153048.jpg

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a slight chance the seller confused it with a chalice, which is an LPS, but it definitely either pssamicora or Lepto (probably pssamicora though).

The third one is Recordia, as to which type - at first it looked like a Florida to me, however because it closed up it and in bad shape it makes it harder to recognize.

I would put the Recordia in low light, low flow and make sure it doesn't get hurt but other live stock you have in the tank.

OP
OP
A

averagesteve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a slight chance the seller confused it with a chalice, which is an LPS, but it definitely either pssamicora or Lepto (probably pssamicora though).

The third one is Recordia, as to which type - at first it looked like a Florida to me, however because it closed up it and in bad shape it makes it harder to recognize.

I would put the Recordia in low light, low flow and make sure it doesn't get hurt but other live stock you have in the tank.

I ordered these online, as the local places have limited selection.. The ricordea was a "freebie" that was in pretty bad shape in the bag, it wasn't even on the plug, just free floating around.. I glued it back down on the plug and in the time since I've taken the picture, it looks a little better then it did, but I'm going to move it to lower flow anyway as it looks like it's about to rip back off the plug in the current that it's currently in. Thanks for this info.

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered these online, as the local places have limited selection.. The ricordea was a "freebie" that was in pretty bad shape in the bag, it wasn't even on the plug, just free floating around.. I glued it back down on the plug and in the time since I've taken the picture, it looks a little better then it did, but I'm going to move it to lower flow anyway as it looks like it's about to rip back off the plug in the current that it's currently in. Thanks for this info.
In the future don't glue down mushroom corals. They have feet that allow them to move like anemones

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
In the future don't glue down mushroom corals. They have feet that allow them to move like anemones
U could place free floating mushrooms in a small basket w rubble in a low flow area and they will attach. Glue not recommended or necessary with them or other leather type corals.

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've grown Recordia Florida for 15 years, this was one of the first coralmorphs I got and I've been collecting them ever since. They are hardy and will survive pretty much anything, through all these years I've lost only a single polyp during propagation, out of hundreds.

Yumas on the other hand have their fair share of issues and are more susceptible to bacterial infections, so if it is in fact a Yuma it is something to watch out for.
There is no harm in doing so, its just doesn't work well.
It is better to use a mushroom box to let it stick by itself to a plug/rubble, but I also used toothstick that goes through the tissue and into a small hole in the rock, both methods work well.

encrustingacro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! The second one was sold me to as an LPS, but both Psammocora and Leptoseris are SPS.. not saying either of you are wrong, I'll have to keep an eye on it.

I actually noticed one more that I' not 100% on, though I think it's a Ricordea?
20230113_153048.jpg
Ricordea florida

OP
OP
A

averagesteve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've grown Recordia Florida for 15 years, this was one of the first coralmorphs I got and I've been collecting them ever since. They are hardy and will survive pretty much anything, through all these years I've lost only a single polyp during propagation, out of hundreds.

Yumas on the other hand have their fair share of issues and are more susceptible to bacterial infections, so if it is in fact a Yuma it is something to watch out for.

There is no harm in doing so, its just doesn't work well.
It is better to use a mushroom box to let it stick by itself to a plug/rubble, but I also used toothstick that goes through the tissue and into a small hole in the rock, both methods work well.

Well, I went to check on it, and it had about freed itself from the plug to the point where as soon as I picked the plug up, it detached. I don't have a mushroom box, so I made a small cube out of eggcrate and covered it in clear mesh that I used for a DIY mesh lid, and put it in there with a rock in a dark low flow area... it's so tiny and I"m not sure how much damage I did to it trying to do all this, but we'll see how it goes.... Thanks for all this info, very helpful. I kinda wish I wasn't given it as a freebie though, as I wasn't planning on owning a mushroom and since i'm new to coral, I didn't do much research on mushrooms specifically...

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't need a special mushroom box, what you built is perfectly good for the task.
Mushrooms are generally a good coral(morph) for beginners, even though it came in a bad shape it does give some experience in dealing with them which will be beneficial with other corals later on.

Good Luck! :)

OP
OP
A

averagesteve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update on the shroom. The DIY mushroom box did not work. I left it for like 2 days and when moved it, the shroom had attached itself to the mesh of the box and not the rubble. I moved the tiny mushroom to my currently empty QT tank and put it with some rubble. It's now attached to a small rock and doing really well in there. Looks like it's gonna make it.

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome, glad to hear!

You can keep it a few more days in the qt if you'd like, or move it back to the display and put it in a low flow area to let it settle and attach itself more firmly. While they do fine in a medium flow as well, they generally prefer a low flow so you can also leave it there as a permanent location.

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 48 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.7%
Back