Coral ID

ACNaturalHistory

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
May 27, 2025
Messages
36
Reaction score
22
Location
USA
What state or country do you live in
Utah
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love some help IDing this coral:

IMG_5795.jpeg
IMG_5796.jpeg
IMG_5798.jpeg
IMG_5799.jpeg
 
Maybe Blastomussa?
IMG_5800.jpeg
I was thinking that too. I know the picture isn't great—but the stalks of the polyps are fleshy. Is it normal for blastos (as an LPS) to have fleshy stalks like that, but a skeletal base that the entire colony grows out of?
 
No, blastos won’t have a fleshy stalk like that. Goniopora and alveopora do, but what you have pictured doesn’t really look like either of those to me. I’m not sure what you’ve got there.
 
+1 blastomussa merletti. I have seen stems like that on blastomussas. Not merlettis but I ticked these blastos off to confirm. It isn’t the best pic but you can see the polyp extending out and then up on the bottom.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0151.jpeg
    IMG_0151.jpeg
    196.3 KB · Views: 43
Merlettis are what I have and I’ve never seen them extend like that! Makes me think I’m doing something wrong 😂
 
+1 blastomussa merletti. I have seen stems like that on blastomussas. Not merlettis but I ticked these blastos off to confirm. It isn’t the best pic but you can see the polyp extending out and then up on the bottom.
Thank you for the input! I am glad to know someone else's blastos are similar haha
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 10 47.6%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 7 33.3%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 10 47.6%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 33.3%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new