Coral Identification - Key West, FL

Kipp's Corals

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 15, 2022
Messages
375
Reaction score
1,661
Location
Kinderhook
What state or country do you live in
New York
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1707493047018.png


Sorry about the blurry image, I just took a screenshot from my YouTube video. Can anyone identify this specific coral located in Key West, FL on the WWII Vandenberg Wreck?
 
1707493047018.png


Sorry about the blurry image, I just took a screenshot from my YouTube video. Can anyone identify this specific coral located in Key West, FL on the WWII Vandenberg Wreck?
Dendrophyllia of some sort, likely tubastrea aka sun coral. They're an NPS species so they require daily or every other day feeding to survive.
 
Dendrophyllia of some sort, likely tubastrea aka sun coral
thank you! It was a dive I did in 2022 and now that I'm starting up my tanks I got to wondering lol

Not looking to put them in if they are invasive. Just general curiosity.
 
Dendrophyllia of some sort, likely tubastrea aka sun coral. They're an NPS species so they require daily or every other day feeding to survive.
Dendrophylliid, not Dendrophyllia. But yeah, likely Tubastrea coccinea; they're an invasive species in the West-Atlantic
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 9 28.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 8 25.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 1 3.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new