Coral identification

novajoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi again all, I got this tank from a friend a few months ago. When I got it a few of the corals had actually died completely bleached out because he let the algae problem get so bad. Seems as though now it's ben reduced and it's thriving I can't believe how big some of the coral are getting even from just a few months ago. Just need some help identifying some of them. Ive been able to identify the mushrooms and the hammer head and the bubble corals but a few of them I still can figure out and the giant orange one I have I would really love to know the name of. Even that one has grow a big in the fleshy parts since I got it. Way more than I would have imagined.

The small plate looking on seems to be recovering but looks like it needs help and I don't know how best to take care of it. The first one with the algae growing around it.

If y'all could drop your suggestions on what all of these are it would be great!

IMG_20231009_122244410.jpg IMG_20231009_122228885.jpg IMG_20231009_132857645.jpg IMG_20231009_122217404.jpg IMG_20231009_122222760.jpg

OP
OP
N

novajoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi again all, I got this tank from a friend a few months ago. When I got it a few of the corals had actually died completely bleached out because he let the algae problem get so bad. Seems as though now it's ben reduced and it's thriving I can't believe how big some of the coral are getting even from just a few months ago. Just need some help identifying some of them. Ive been able to identify the mushrooms and the hammer head and the bubble corals but a few of them I still can figure out and the giant orange one I have I would really love to know the name of. Even that one has grow a big in the fleshy parts since I got it. Way more than I would have imagined.

The small plate looking on seems to be recovering but looks like it needs help and I don't know how best to take care of it. The first one with the algae growing around it.

If y'all could drop your suggestions on what all of these are it would be great!

IMG_20231009_122244410.jpg IMG_20231009_122228885.jpg IMG_20231009_132857645.jpg IMG_20231009_122217404.jpg IMG_20231009_122222760.jpg
90% sure the giant one is a lobo or scoly but can't figure out what the difference is. And I think the purple green a favia but like I said I'm new to this I don't know the names like I would freshwater plants. Its a litte infuriating but learning about these unique animals is also really awesome they do such wild things for an animal.

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1 montipora
2 favia
3 torch?
4 trachyphyllia
5 need a top down

OP
OP
N

novajoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
90% sure the giant one is a lobo or scoly but can't figure out what the difference is. And I think the purple green a favia but like I said I'm new to this I don't know the names like I would freshwater plants. Its a litte infuriating but learning about these unique animals is also really awesome they do such wild things for an animal.
Since we're here imma post a picture of the whole tank. Let those suggestions fly. I tried making sure everything and enough room
Ignore the hermit stuck to the urchin

Attachments

• IMG_20231011_152019558.jpg
    IMG_20231011_152019558.jpg
    255 KB · Views: 65
OP
OP
N

novajoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 and 5 are the same one and who I was definitely not close with that one your awesome!
I got one more for ya. It act different than the other mushrooms I got but having a feeling its a type of mushroom

Attachments

• IMG_20231011_152028613.jpg
    IMG_20231011_152028613.jpg
    303.5 KB · Views: 62

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 and 5 are the same one and who I was definitely not close with that one your awesome!
Wait, sorry. I think I got one wrong, if 5 is 4 from the bottom than I think it might be lobophyllia rowleyensis, formerly australomussa. And 3 might be a smaller hairy mushroom frag

Edit: does #4 have a small cone shaped skeleton? Is that overhanging part flesh or skeleton, if the overhanging part is tissue then it is a trachyphyllia, if it's skeleton it's probably australomussa

OP
OP
N

novajoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait, sorry. I think I got one wrong, if 5 is 4 from the bottom than I think it might be lobophyllia rowleyensis, formerly australomussa. And 3 might be a smaller hairy mushroom frag

Edit: does #4 have a small cone shaped skeleton? Is that overhanging part flesh or skeleton, if the overhanging part is tissue then it is a trachyphyllia, if it's skeleton it's probably australomussa
It has a large cone skeleton on the bottom up top on the orange bit it's definitely soft and fleshy

OP
OP
N

novajoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I just gotta add in here y'all are awesome I didn't expect to get answers on this stuff so fast!

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has a large cone skeleton on the bottom up top on the orange bit it's definitely soft and fleshy
Then yep, looks like a trachy, and a really nice one as well, they are low light low flow sandbed corals so I'd recommend putting him in a spot like that

OP
OP
N

novajoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I had a green one like that it's awesome!! I feel like I got a lot of orange going on but I'm too stubborn to find them a new home. Mines definitely a good 5 inches across when it's open maybe more and the skeleton I would say is right about 2 inches at the top. Its quite large.
My trachyphyllia
20231010_161654.jpg

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I had a green one like that it's awesome!! I feel like I got a lot of orange going on but I'm too stubborn to find them a new home. Mines definitely a good 5 inches across when it's open maybe more and the skeleton I would say is right about 2 inches at the top. Its quite large.
I wish I had that color! Green tends to be really common among trachys, though I'm not willing to spend a fortune on a massive red one. Do you have any photos of it at night? Definitely has a unique polyp shape among trachys, though I don't know if it can be anything else. Maybe @encrustingacro could verify if im correct? The shape sort of looks like a lobo rowleyensis but the skeleton isn't one of that, too flat to be an acantho, though my bet is on trachy.

encrustingacro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Montipora
2. Dipsastraea, not Favia
3. Galaxea
4. Trachyphyllia
I wish I had that color! Green tends to be really common among trachys, though I'm not willing to spend a fortune on a massive red one. Do you have any photos of it at night? Definitely has a unique polyp shape among trachys, though I don't know if it can be anything else. Maybe @encrustingacro could verify if im correct? The shape sort of looks like a lobo rowleyensis but the skeleton isn't one of that, too flat to be an acantho, though my bet is on trachy.
Yeah, that's a trachyphyllia.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 138 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.2%
Back