Coral issue... I need some hep with the cause, Please!

Jeff_H

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had this coral in my tank for over a year now, and it's been doing great until about a month ago. The tank parameters are all in the normal range and stable. The only issue I've had was a high tin level on my latest ICP test, but I believe I found a cause and have done two large water changes (70-80%) a couple of weeks ago. The tank is mixed with both SPS and LPS and I run carbon 24X7 and change it every two weeks. I can't seem to ID this issue or tell if it's a disease, chemical warfare, or something else. it almost looks like a fungus that is slowly spreading over the coral. I even tried to frag part of it, but that frag developed it too and is now dead.

Has anyone seen anything like this?

IMG_1654.jpg

Sidewyz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm here to search for answers for a coral issue and I'm seeing multiple recommendations to not run carbon continuously. Like you, I run carbon 24x7 and am having issues with coral dieback.

OP
OP
Jeff_H

Jeff_H

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you both for the feedback. I would consider dipping the coral, but it's encrusted to the rock and would be impossible to remove. I guess I could frag it again and do the frag and see if that makes a difference. Regarding the continuous Carbon, I've been running 24x7 for over a year with no issue. I guess I could try shutting it down for a while, and see if it makes a difference.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always ran carbon 24/7 for 30+years but recently stopped using it. I never noticed a difference between using it and the last couple months of not using it, if your having problems with just one coral I doubt it’s the carbon use. Frag the good spots, give the frags an iodine dip and mount them away from the location they originally were and see what happens,if you get multiple frags spread them around the tank. Sometimes one coral out of fifty in your tank will decide to just succumb to some unexplained reason. Just part of the deal.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

• I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 96 80.7%
  • Other.

Back