Coral issue

oconn21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My corals don’t seems to be be thriving and now seem like they are struggling. My torch especially. Starting to get a little algae growth too.

ammonia 0.2
Nitrates 5
Ph8.2
Phosphate0.1
Kh-8
Ca 440
Mg 1380
00A10121-98AD-484B-A6AB-C05201C381B3.jpeg
39046D84-450E-4D78-9CC7-45E85E939C3D.jpeg
FCA1353B-F13A-4668-9A47-80314E453760.jpeg
547A4456-2E0D-48AC-A082-B467BECF1ADE.jpeg
DC8DBD17-4248-4CE8-93AD-FE45F1F9A3E3.jpeg

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is the tank. What test kits are you using. What type of light and do you have a PAR reading. What temp for the tank. You can’t give us too much info, so tell us as much as you can.

OP
OP
O

oconn21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is the tank. What test kits are you using. What type of light and do you have a PAR reading. What temp for the tank. You can’t give us too much info, so tell us as much as you can.
3 months old. Red Sea test kit, temp is 78. I don’t have a PAR reader. Use a kessil 160 tuna blue light. Also have a Nero 3 wave maker

Patryk1982

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the ammonia and phosphates are too high. I mean ammonia should be 0 and the phosphate value of 0.1 is way too high. you should be around 0.050

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the others, ammonia should be 0 ppm.

We really do need more info on your tank. If you make us ask for every detail, you are going to get a variety of answers, all of which may or may not help.

I have no idea what size we are talking about as well as other set up. I would be glad to help, but you need to give us all of the detail about your system.

OP
OP
O

oconn21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the others, ammonia should be 0 ppm.

We really do need more info on your tank. If you make us ask for every detail, you are going to get a variety of answers, all of which may or may not help.

I have no idea what size we are talking about as well as other set up. I would be glad to help, but you need to give us all of the detail about your system.
Sorry I thought it was all there it’s a waterbox penn 15. Stock filtration comes with sock and carbon. I have a Nero3 wave maker in there. I run a kessil 160 tuna blue light. Live sand and rock. Have 2 clown, 5 turbo,5 nassarius, and an emerald crab. Feed pellet twice a day and some mysis shrimp once a day. Twice a week reef roid direct feeding. I change filter sock 3x a week.

Perthegallon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It seems like the age of the tank may be the issue it sucks but for unknown reason it seems to be it even if you've done everything correct

OP
OP
O

oconn21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems like the age of the tank may be the issue it sucks but for unknown reason it seems to be it even if you've done everything correct
It does suck. Cycled it for 2 months with nothing in it and had the spike in ammonia and decline with nitrates going up felt like it was textbook. Had living things for 3 months

Perthegallon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It does suck. Cycled it for 2 months with nothing in it and had the spike in ammonia and decline with nitrates going up felt like it was textbook. Had living things for 3 months
I just started a new tank over a year ago got Coraline growing all over the tank even had a Neptune trident constantly checking my parameters I thought I was ready for corals they all died but 2 mushrooms and Kenya tree and xenea

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I thought it was all there it’s a waterbox penn 15. Stock filtration comes with sock and carbon. I have a Nero3 wave maker in there. I run a kessil 160 tuna blue light. Live sand and rock. Have 2 clown, 5 turbo,5 nassarius, and an emerald crab. Feed pellet twice a day and some mysis shrimp once a day. Twice a week reef roid direct feeding. I change filter sock 3x a week.
Ok. That is not a big tank. Smaller tanks are harder to keep stable. Do you run a heater in the tank? What is the Kessil set at?

I am a little concerned with the ammonia. If the tank is that old, you shouldn’t have any ammonia in the tank.

You may be over feeding the tank. Two clowns shouldn’t need a lot of food. Feeding once a day should be enough. I would try reducing your feeding to once very other day for a week and see if the ammonia comes down.

You could also try adding prime to the water to detoxify the ammonia along with the reduced feeding. I would wait at least two weeks if you go that route before testing for ammonia again.

The coral may still recover. Just take it easy with the feeding.

I would also suggest an immediate 3 gallon water change to help get clean water to the corals.

I still have the corals I added immediately after my cycle, so it can be done. I added a frogspawn and a mushroom coral to start with.

OP
OP
O

oconn21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. That is not a big tank. Smaller tanks are harder to keep stable. Do you run a heater in the tank? What is the Kessil set at?

I am a little concerned with the ammonia. If the tank is that old, you shouldn’t have any ammonia in the tank.

You may be over feeding the tank. Two clowns shouldn’t need a lot of food. Feeding once a day should be enough. I would try reducing your feeding to once very other day for a week and see if the ammonia comes down.

You could also try adding prime to the water to detoxify the ammonia along with the reduced feeding. I would wait at least two weeks if you go that route before testing for ammonia again.

The coral may still recover. Just take it easy with the feeding.

I would also suggest an immediate 3 gallon water change to help get clean water to the corals.

I still have the corals I added immediately after my cycle, so it can be done. I added a frogspawn and a mushroom coral to start with.
I did a 5 gallon change yesterday and added more dr tims.
Light settings are
9am 0 color /15 intensity
11am 20/30
1pm 50/35
3pm 55/50
5pm 40/30
6pm 5/5

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a 5 gallon change yesterday and added more dr tims.
Light settings are
9am 0 color /15 intensity
11am 20/30
1pm 50/35
3pm 55/50
5pm 40/30
6pm 5/5
Ok, you may need to raise the intensity of the light. That light isn’t really that powerful. I would try to get intensity to a minimum of 100 for 4 hours and 70 for another 2 hours. With that intensity, you should be able to provide enough light. How high do you have it mounted above your tank? Rent a PAR meter if you want to be sure. A lack of light will starve your corals. To be safe, I would keep that torch in about 200 PAR. If you do raise the intensity, I would start with a 20% increase, and then slowly increase it to the numbers above over the next 3-4 weeks.

You never stated whether you have a heater in the tank or not. Smaller tanks can be subject to larger temp swings based on the swings in the house temp. The tank should stay at 77-79 degrees IME.

Last edited:
OP
OP
O

oconn21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, you may need to raise the intensity of the light. That light isn’t really that powerful. I would try to get intensity to a minimum of 100 for 4 hours and 70 for another 2 hours. With that intensity, you should be able to provide enough light. How high do you have it mounted above your tank? Rent a PAR meter if you want to be sure. A lack of light will starve your corals. To be safe, I would keep that torch in about 200 PAR. If you do raise the intensity, I would start with a 20% increase, and then slowly increase it to the numbers above over the next 3-4 weeks.

You never stated whether you have a heater in the tank or not. Smaller tanks can be subject to larger temp swings based on the swings in the house temp. The tank should stay at 77-79 degrees IME.
Yes there is a heater in the first chamber

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 18 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 66 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.8%

Back