OP
OP
Impala67

Impala67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait a sec what are you dusting with!? The same thing happend to inappropriate reefer he was using canned air near his tank and everything started acting odd too.
I dust with caned air and pledge those are my main two that I use.

OP
OP
Impala67

Impala67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I'm trying to say the hair algae is surviving do to the nutrients in the water so you are getting a false reading algae is acting like a refugium so therefore your test is showing low numbers only because your algae is sucking up to many nutrients in the water. do larger water changes, add beneficial bacteria and your algae will go away and you corals will be fine. Its not the algae hurting your corals its the nutrients .I hope I'm explaining that right so you can understand
I did what you said a water change, good news is I’m moving into a tank with a refugium so that should help. In the mean time I heard that a coral called Xenia is supposed to be good a removing to much nutrients but it takes over should I try this to help with everything I know it’s a risk but what have I got to lose I’m moving here shortly anyways right I added carbon which should help….. hopefully!!!

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did what you said a water change, good news is I’m moving into a tank with a refugium so that should help. In the mean time I heard that a coral called Xenia is supposed to be good a removing to much nutrients but it takes over should I try this to help with everything I know it’s a risk but what have I got to lose I’m moving here shortly anyways right I added carbon which should help….. hopefully!!!
I have a xenia island so it can't take over. It feeds on nitrates.

austibella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had xenia in my 180 tank on it own island for probably 7 years,maybe 10 yrs cant remember ..it never spread i love it but the last few months I am finding it spreading in different areas it never did that before its becoming invasive it's probably because my fish are getting to big like 6 and 7 inches and they eat and poop alot making more nutrients..if you have the refugium with chaeto that will solve all your nutrient problems. Have a good clean up crew and your all set.. Like I said earlier when in doubt do a water change. I do a 70 gallon water change every month.i run carbon, & phosphate reactors & bio churn for bacteria and have a over size UV sterilizer. Oversized protein skimmer. And alot of clean up crew. Congrats on your new tank! Your corals should do fine. Look up Poly Lab Polyp booster i put several drops in every week and all my coral come alive. best I have ever used. Of course I feed them several other foods but I really see a difference with this. Good luck hope your coral are better.

Udest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah you might want to avoid spraying those near the tank it seems something in the areosol cans ticks corals off.

austibella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a USA current orbit marine light with two marineland power heads with only one setting. The 20 is in the same room but it’s by a window I also blocked off the light from there with a pice of foam board I don’t have a magnesium, alkaline, or calcium test kit yet and trust me it’s on my to do list. My phosphate is at .05 and hasn’t changed my temp is at 76.2f I normally use api test kits I bought the tidal 35 serchem for this tank it has whatever media it came with but I just added this
image.jpg
it’s carbon plus zeolite which should help with any chemicals. The impeller was sticking before the move and I need to buy a new one.
That is only one of the problems! Read the label it says for freshwater or ponds!!! Use Purit brighwell aquatics for marine its the best. I see so many people showing pics of products of what they use and it says for fresh water or ponds. Always use products that says for marine Saltwater and or for marine AND fresh water then it is safe for both!. That's like I see people complain about vibrant which is a great product then they show a pic of it complaining it killed corals or made them close up and I look at the pic and it says for fresh water. Read lables!!! And use products exactly how they say

austibella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is only one of the problems! Read the label it says for freshwater or ponds!!! Use Purit brighwell aquatics for marine its the best. I see so many people showing pics of products of what they use and it says for fresh water or ponds. Always use products that says for marine Saltwater and or for marine AND fresh water then it is safe for both!. That's like I see people complain about vibrant which is a great product then they show a pic of it complaining it killed corals or made them close up and I look at the pic and it says for fresh water. Read lables!!! And use products exactly how they say
P.s. Vibrant and many other products have 2 formulas ! one for Saltwater one for freshwater always read lables

OP
OP
Impala67

Impala67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually looked it up it can be used for both all it is is carbon and zeolite it will not hurt coral whatsoever and besides my tank is looking better already so it did it’s job!!!

OP
OP
Impala67

Impala67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand all of your concerns so to put you at ease I only used a tiny amount and I’m only using for a quarter of the time it’s recommended for I’ve heard great things about zeolite for reef aquariums in my opinion putting the “for marine tanks” sticker on this is just another way they charge you more money it’s all the same stuff

austibella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually looked it up it can be used for both all it is is carbon and zeolite it will not hurt coral whatsoever and besides my tank is looking better already so it did it’s job!!!
I tried to send you the article on this product but I couldn't send it to you .it says zeolite for fresh water should never be used in a salt water tank the water chemistry can be lethal to corals in saltwater aquariums salt can release the ammonia it has absorbed causing a sudden and potentially dangerous ammonia spikes it is made of ""Silica and aluminum":..I don't know where you read its ok..you do not want Silica in a reef tank!!. Any product that is **safe for Saltwater tanks will say ON the lables for Saltwater tanks.** just ask any seasoned reefer.....Its your tank , I'm just trying to educate you. Before you have a complete tank crash.when reading articles read from good sources of information. Not from something on the internet that they have no idea what they are talking about.the best of luck to you and your tank.. look up what can happen when Silica is in your reef tank water.. I rest my case.. that product is ONLY for fresh water or ponds. Good luck

OP
OP
Impala67

Impala67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried to send you the article on this product but I couldn't send it to you .it says zeolite for fresh water should never be used in a salt water tank the water chemistry can be lethal to corals in saltwater aquariums salt can release the ammonia it has absorbed causing a sudden and potentially dangerous ammonia spikes it is made of ""Silica and aluminum":..I don't know where you read its ok..you do not want Silica in a reef tank!!. Any product that is **safe for Saltwater tanks will say ON the lables for Saltwater tanks.** just ask any seasoned reefer.....Its your tank , I'm just trying to educate you. Before you have a complete tank crash.when reading articles read from good sources of information. Not from something on the internet that they have no idea what they are talking about.the best of luck to you and your tank.. look up what can happen when Silica is in your reef tank water.. I rest my case.. that product is ONLY for fresh water or ponds. Good luck
Whoa man I’m not trying to argue lol I’m just doing what I know I saw that article as well but look up if zeolite Is ok for reef tanks and never look at just the one you think is right look at the ones you think are wrong as well there’s a bunch of websites that say it can be very beneficial to your reef tank!!! I guess this is another one of those discussions that just have two different opinions I’ll show you what i found http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2652315 this is one of the websites it has both points of view

OP
OP
Impala67

Impala67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also not to argue it doesn’t say to never ever use it it says never use it for a long periods of time because it can release all the ammonia it absorbed at once causing a spike!!

austibella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also not to argue it doesn’t say to never ever use it it says never use it for a long periods of time because it can release all the ammonia it absorbed at once causing

Whoa man I’m not trying to argue lol I’m just doing what I know I saw that article as well but look up if zeolite Is ok for reef tanks and never look at just the one you think is right look at the ones you think are wrong as well there’s a bunch of websites that say it can be very beneficial to your reef tank!!! I guess this is another one of those discussions that just have two different opinions I’ll show you what i found http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2652315 this is one of the websites it has bo

austibella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I wasn't arguing you are getting information from threads like the one you sent me. Those are people's 'opinions' read articles from scientific articles from people that actually know the answer not an opinion . Or from bulk reef supply, Mel's reef, or aquarium Saltwater. They have videos you can watch for education on any subject Like I said it is made from Silica and aluminum .you do not want that in your tank at all. Not even for a minute. We spend hundreds of dollars on R/O systems to make r/o water to take "OUT" Silica and other metals that's how bad it is. Your using a product that it is made with Silica and aluminum do you see what I'm getting at? You made a comment that advertising saying for marine use is just to make more money off of everyone. It's not true. It says for marine use because it is safe for Saltwater. When you get into chemistry you will see about Saltwater and chemicals and metals and how corals and fish cannot survive with it in the water. Also Carbon comes in different grades you get what you pay for. I only use medical grade for most of my products. After spending thousands and thousands of dollars on my 180. Its worth the price to only put in the purest ingredients. But the choice is yours.

OP
OP
Impala67

Impala67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I wasn't arguing you are getting information from threads like the one you sent me. Those are people's 'opinions' read articles from scientific articles from people that actually know the answer not an opinion . Or from bulk reef supply, Mel's reef, or aquarium Saltwater. They have videos you can watch for education on any subject Like I said it is made from Silica and aluminum .you do not want that in your tank at all. Not even for a minute. We spend hundreds of dollars on R/O systems to make r/o water to take "OUT" Silica and other metals that's how bad it is. Your using a product that it is made with Silica and aluminum do you see what I'm getting at? You made a comment that advertising saying for marine use is just to make more money off of everyone. It's not true. It says for marine use because it is safe for Saltwater. When you get into chemistry you will see about Saltwater and chemicals and metals and how corals and fish cannot survive with it in the water. Also Carbon comes in different grades you get what you pay for. I only use medical grade for most of my products. After spending thousands and thousands of dollars on my 180. Its worth the price to only put in the purest ingredients. But the choice is yours.
I do appreciate what your saying I do understand what you getting at and I was only trying this for a couple days do you think if I pick out just the carbon it will be ok?

OP
OP
Impala67

Impala67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well guys I think I found the problem!!!!
40D5212D-3E6C-499A-84C4-DDD77E7C6D58.jpeg
he was holding onto my zoa coralI don’t know what it is or how it got in there but what should I do??

Udest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question is how many are there it's only going to bother corals it can touch.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 14 77.8%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back