I really hope they’re the easier kind . Yeah, they’re pretty much only on the glass (with just a little on the sand as well).
So here’s how I ended up in this situation: I had a huge outbreak of hair algae—probably that ugly phase every new tank goes through. They were everywhere, and the strands got super long. After a while, I was pretty disappointed with how it looked, so I started scrubbing them off the rocks almost every day and siphoning them out during water changes. Eventually, they completely disappeared, and everything was fine for a while.
Then, in December, I went on vacation and didn’t do much maintenance or cleaning for about 15 days. When I came back, I had cyano (some kind of purple mat) and this stringy stuff—which I now know are dinos. They started to build up on the zoas and GSP bothering them. I completely got rid of the cyano by consistently scraping it off the rocks and siphoning it out during water changes. But I still haven’t fully solved the dino problem. They’re much less than they were a few weeks ago, the situation is kinda stable but I just can’t seem to get rid of them completely. I clean the glass, and within five minutes, they’re already back. If I don’t clean the glass every day, they start to build up throughout the week.
My plan for now is:
- Raise PO4 by dosing it daily and add beneficial bacteria like Microbacter —hopefully, this will be enough to fix the problem and make the dinos disappear.
- If raising PO4 doesn’t solve the issue, I’ll do a 3-day blackout and see if that’s enough to get rid of them.
I hope you also win this battle—rooting for you! :star-struck: