Coral only tank (acans)

Rugggs3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I was just wondering I have a 10g tank hob filter (aquaclear70) i had it for 2months i want to just add acans to it no fish.

Is this possible?

bsr2430

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes! target feeding will work the best!

but you brought me to a good question!

You should target feed half the tank, I’m sure left over will go to the others.
wonder how growth comparison would look!

OP
OP
R

Rugggs3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes! target feeding will work the best!

but you brought me to a good question!

You should target feed half the tank, I’m sure left over will go to the others.
wonder how growth comparison would look!
I heard reefroids are good what do you think?

Gw2kpro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I heard reefroids are good what do you think?

Look into getting a can of cyclopeze as well. They're a lot smaller than mysis, etc but a lot larger than the particulates in reef roids.

Get the below can for 8 bucks and pair it with a mini silicone ice cube tray. Spread the cyclopeze paste on the ice cube tray and freeze and you'll have food forever. I mix mine with reef roids and tank water and they go nuts for it.

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a seven gallon tank with mainly acans on my desk. No fish, just a few snails and a conch. I feed them directly maybe 2-3 times a month and just toss in four or five pellets once or twice a week. Change a liter of water every second day or so. Pretty simple.

OP
OP
R

Rugggs3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a seven gallon tank with mainly acans on my desk. No fish, just a few snails and a conch. I feed them directly maybe 2-3 times a month and just toss in four or five pellets once or twice a week. Change a liter of water every second day or so. Pretty simple.
How often should i change the water? 10g tank

OP
OP
R

Rugggs3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How
Look into getting a can of cyclopeze as well. They're a lot smaller than mysis, etc but a lot larger than the particulates in reef roids.

Get the below can for 8 bucks and pair it with a mini silicone ice cube tray. Spread the cyclopeze paste on the ice cube tray and freeze and you'll have food forever. I mix mine with reef roids and tank water and they go nuts for it.

How often should i feed them? I only want acans maybe a blastomussa aswell

Gw2kpro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How

How often should i feed them? I only want acans maybe a blastomussa aswell
You will get differing opinions on this. I target feed weekly. I don't think it's good for them to be fed every day.

Rilo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey!

I have acans as well. All mine love flow (enough that you can tell flow is hitting it while the coral is still extended) and love being fed.

I feed my coral reef roids and target feed them it. I'm going to feed every other day to promote growth. But twice a week was my original schedule.

I haven't heard of cycopleze but based on this thread I'm going to add it to the mix to promote a diverse mix of food and growth.

I do weekly 5g water changes on my 10g. It all depends on how much you feed.

What lights do you plan on getting for the 10g?

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oyster Feast gets the best feeding response from my acans. I could see the cyclopeze being a great choice as well but I haven’t tried that.

plankton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates on your acan tank? As others have said, acan's love being feed especially at night with pumps turned low or even off the feeding polyps come out and will attach to and eat whatever they can put into their mouth part. They will expell brown zozantheli (spelling) a few days later. Watch your Alk/Cal, etc because once they start growing the demand on said will be great (like a clam).

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 9 90.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

• I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Back