Coral Only Tank - Maintenance of?

  • Thread starter Thread starter RaymondL
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

RaymondL

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 3, 2022
Messages
989
Reaction score
354
Location
Miami
What state or country do you live in
Kansas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm setting up a soft only coral tank to be as simplistic as possible such that I don't need to dose any supplements - ie. Ca, Mg.

As noted, this is a fishless tank - I never had one before, so this is new territory for me. How does this impact the Nitrogen cycle? Would I still need to seed bacteria, and since there's no fish or fish food, nitrates and phosphates would be 0, and I would need to just supplement NO3 and PO4 to keep it above 0 to curb out Dinos.

Seeking advice here - as I noted, a fishless tank is a first for me, so hoping folks can assist me on what I need to do, and not do.

Thanks!
 
Might want to look into ammonium chloride, food grade. There are also posts about it on the forums somewhere.
 
I'm setting up a soft only coral tank to be as simplistic as possible such that I don't need to dose any supplements - ie. Ca, Mg.

As noted, this is a fishless tank - I never had one before, so this is new territory for me. How does this impact the Nitrogen cycle? Would I still need to seed bacteria, and since there's no fish or fish food, nitrates and phosphates would be 0, and I would need to just supplement NO3 and PO4 to keep it above 0 to curb out Dinos.

Seeking advice here - as I noted, a fishless tank is a first for me, so hoping folks can assist me on what I need to do, and not do.

Thanks!
In a fishless tank, you will probably need to dose ammonia to keep the cycle going and provide nutrients for the zooxanthellae in the coral. Fish aren’t there just as a decoration, they are part of the ecosystem which sustains coral.
 
Do you have another system with fish in it? I didn’t have fish in my 40 gallon breeder for months but did water changes with some water from my main display and my corals thrived. I did end up adding some fish later on but the tank never went through a full on ugly period.
 
Do you have another system with fish in it? I didn’t have fish in my 40 gallon breeder for months but did water changes with some water from my main display and my corals thrived. I did end up adding some fish later on but the tank never went through a full on ugly period.
I have 2 other tanks with fish yes. Maybe then when I do a water change I can exchange a few gallons of water from the tank that has fish with the one that doesn't. Is that what you're suggesting?
 
Soft corals like the water a little dirtier, I would try to keep phosphates at .05-.1 and nitrates at 10-15. They would definitely like it a little higher than lower.
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 7 36.8%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 6 31.6%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 4 21.1%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 26.3%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 47.4%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 26.3%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 15.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new