Coral only tank

LorenK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have a fishless tank? I am thinking to convert my 24g aqupod to a coral only tank. I'll have some cleanup crew, but no fish. Probably keep my big crocea in there as well.

I don't really feed my corals today...they get whatever is floating around. My tank runs a little dirty, I don't have a filter so things like xenia grow crazy.

But if I'm not feeding fish, I assume I'll need to put stuff in there...maybe some cyclopeze? Or phytoplanton?

Without the bioload of the fish, would I assume my weekly water changes would become less frequent?

Curious if anyone has a coral only tank and any words of wisdom.

surfn

I bleed orange and maroon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i wouldn't........IME corals and just the general health of the tank seems to do better with at least 1 or 2 fish in the tank.

granted, 0 nitrates is still pretty clean even with 1 or 2 fish.

R

reef-nut

View Badges
You said this is a 24 Gal. Aquapod? You also said you have no filter. The aquapod comes with a build in filter, what happen to it? Thanks!!

OP
OP
LorenK

LorenK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It comes with two sponges. I initially removed one. THen I cut the second one in half. Then I just got rid of the sponge because after I drilled the second return, the water could not flow through fast enough to keep up with two maxijet 900s. Plus, they were a pain to keep clean.

If I ever kickup a bunch of dust or over-feed, I put a wad of poly in the back then toss it.

I've been wanting a fu manchu lionfish...but figured he would eat my nanofish. Maybe I'll put one of those in there.

You said this is a 24 Gal. Aquapod? You also said you have no filter. The aquapod comes with a build in filter, what happen to it? Thanks!!

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 64 44.1%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 69 47.6%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 12 8.3%
Back