Coral Photography Editing Tips

Tim Olson

Love to Learn!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might also look into focus stacking. If there is no coral movement (pumps off) you can focus on the back of the subject coral and take multiple images as you move the focus point forward. You can end up with 10-20 images that are then combined with software like Photoshop or Helicon Focus.
It gives amazing definition.
This is a 16 image stack of a flower. You can see sharp focus front to back.
Haven't tried it in my tank but after my usual Sunday cleaning, I will give it a try and get back.

2018-10-23 16-15-41 (B,Radius10,Smoothing5).jpg

Thanks for sharing ... Beautiful!!! I'm going to have to figure out how to do Image Stacking in Photoshop CC. Also, were you able to automate changing the focal length or did you manually change using the lens?

SMB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing ... Beautiful!!! I'm going to have to figure out how to do Image Stacking in Photoshop CC. Also, were you able to automate changing the focal length or did you manually change using the lens?

It is pretty straightforward to do it manually (on manual focus) with a small progression of the focus ring for each image . If you are going to do this big time it can be automated:

Also the software Helicon Focus is a simple way to process your images and is worth the purchase, again if this is going to be something you would like to do routinely.

Tim Olson

Love to Learn!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is pretty straightforward to do it manually (on manual focus) with a small progression of the focus ring for each image . If you are going to do this big time it can be automated:

Also the software Helicon Focus is a simple way to process your images and is worth the purchase, again if this is going to be something you would like to do routinely.

Thank you! I'll take a look at the Helicon Focus software and do some experimenting. All the best!

Tim Olson

Love to Learn!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@SMB ... I gave focus stacking a try today. It took a little while, but the next one's will hopefully be much quicker. I ended up using Photoshop CC, since I already had it, and it was fairly straightforward. I looked at the Helicon software too and it looks better than Photoshop, but I'll wait to see how much of this I do before I would purchase it. Thanks much!

Test of Focus Stacking 1b.jpg

SMB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@SMB ... I gave focus stacking a try today. It took a little while, but the next one's will hopefully be much quicker. I ended up using Photoshop CC, since I already had it, and it was fairly straightforward. I looked at the Helicon software too and it looks better than Photoshop, but I'll wait to see how much of this I do before I would purchase it. Thanks much!

Test of Focus Stacking 1b.jpg

Looks good. I would get closer so there is no background.
If you look at the center of the coral you can see out of focus areas. That means you need to make even smaller focus moves.
Should be stacking ~12-20 images.
I do a lot in LR an have only modest PS skills. So Helicon works well for me.

Tim Olson

Love to Learn!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks ... I was only able to take 5 shots. So it looks like I have to figure out take more. This time I just moved the focal point on the camera, of which there were only 5 vertical available (Nikon D7000). So would I have to move the tripod, kind of like that device you mentioned? Or is another way?

SMB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The camera needs to be stationary, and you can't change the aperture.
Get your exposure set with a few test shots. Put the camera on manual focus. Using the focus ring on the barrel of the lens focus on the back of the coral.
That is your first shot. Turn the focus ring ever so slightly so the focus is on coral just a bit closer and repeat until you get to the front of the coral with a shot at each point on the way.
Generally once I have the first shot I stop looking in the viewfinder and concentrate on moving the focus ring and shooting. That is why a cable release is so handy.

Tim Olson

Love to Learn!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The camera needs to be stationary, and you can't change the aperture.
Get your exposure set with a few test shots. Put the camera on manual focus. Using the focus ring on the barrel of the lens focus on the back of the coral.
That is your first shot. Turn the focus ring ever so slightly so the focus is on coral just a bit closer and repeat until you get to the front of the coral with a shot at each point on the way.
Generally once I have the first shot I stop looking in the viewfinder and concentrate on moving the focus ring and shooting. That is why a cable release is so handy.

Very good explanation, which sounds like it will work perfectly. Luckily I have a wireless remote release. I'll give it a try soon.

I really appreciate you taking the time to help. :)

All the best!

chrishet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought Helicon Remote the other day and love it. Very easy to use...here is my very first test shot and my first coral shot. Shot with a Canon 5DMIII and Canon 100 f2.8L...I think ISO was 200 for both. Gonna love using it for taking shots of my new build!

35d2821cc3143c33386a1a6ef4fd9acb.jpg

e62edaf5b3a0701d82dc6a258ddfedb4.jpg

SMB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice. It is a pretty easy piece of software. I think we will see some more focus stacking here with folks looking at that first attempt!

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the Focus Stacking tip @SMB I had been wondering how to get a better depth of field.

Using Nikon D5300 w/ 18-55mm lens w/ orange filter then using the Focus Stack (no other editing) from 13 original photos my wife (@dogshowgrl) took
Acan 1.jpg

Last edited:

Act1n1c_L1fe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s up reefers,
I recently purchased a cannon 100mm f/2.8 macro lens to go with my cannon rebel t3i I’ve had for many years, but never used. Over that last month I’ve been dabbling with a few editing trick I thought some might find useful. So here goes!
This is the original photo shot in RAW, post editing. You can see there is a ton of dead space and if you ask me the standard angle is a bit boring.
9EDC947E-EC99-4EAF-A9E4-A1A80FE37A40.jpeg

I then rotate the photo through the cropping tool to create a more interesting angle, while also zooming in on the image.
C0D0F08F-071E-48B9-9E1F-8757AB3D7047.jpeg

Boom! You not have an interesting photo with very little dead space and nice leading lines coming from the top left corner that draw your eye to the focused area!
69E7A401-1712-4155-B031-828E80A72F11.jpeg

Here we have a pretty nice shot as is. It’s a little soft, and has a lot of wasted space that cause you eye to wander.
C8D3FDC3-3861-43DC-922E-6397A7D7AA77.jpeg

Next you’re going to bust out the tilted crop and zoom with an added twist! The flip horizontally tool!
20919D9A-3D03-4EA3-A575-4825AB583825.jpeg

Now you have a more interesting angle, no distractions and focus that draws your eye in from left to right.
4494BB73-D4E3-41F8-98C8-BE6300D69AEE.jpeg

Here is another photo that is filled with dead space, but has a lot of potential! Let’s implement what we learned! Rotation crop and horizontal flip to take our image to the next level!
Edited image pre crop
E9577AAD-CEF6-4D29-B0D5-2C59E9C8E440.jpeg

Rotation crop
44692F4D-7AA8-4EE3-B62D-4EDA63AF3C91.jpeg

Horizontal flip
1C238B8E-EA4A-4120-B0F0-81565F1FAC18.jpeg

Editing is all personal preference, with one exception. As a hobbyist your goal is to represent the beauty of the coral and make it look as close to what the coral looks like to the naked eye as possible. Most importantly have fun and appreciate the journey! Let me know if you have any questions!
Stay hooked guys!
-HookedReefer
however, when you crop pictures cutting over 25% of the original picture off and blow up the new, your new image quality wont be nearly as good. it becomes fuzzy and pixilated, not sharp and clear. easy fix to dead space is running a lower aperture on your lenses to block out anything beyond focus....

SMB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the Focus Stacking tip @SMB I had been wondering how to get a better depth of field.

Using Nikon D5300 w/ 18-55mm lens w/ orange filter then using the Focus Stack (no other editing) from 13 original photos my wife (@dogshowgrl) took
Acan 1.jpg

Looks really nice.
If you do other post processing, it is very easy to take a brush, say in LR and darken al the background above the coral. this will make it pop.

OP
OP
Joshua Warne

Joshua Warne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks really nice.
If you do other post processing, it is very easy to take a brush, say in LR and darken al the background above the coral. this will make it pop.

That’s a really good idea! Create more separation from the background providing more pop of the Acan!

OP
OP
Joshua Warne

Joshua Warne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have any recommendations for an orange screw on filter for a cannon macro lens? Something like this. Not sure if there’s a specific one someone has experience using.
124CB4CC-5B24-4908-9E60-E51BF9529A57.jpeg

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back