Coral placement help

BristleWormHater

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 4, 2024
Messages
5,149
Reaction score
7,845
Location
Roswell, GA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got my corals today. I placed them in the center on the sanded and turned my lights down to 50% how long should I keep them there? All the corals seem happy except this goni that hasn't fully extended since I turned the lights down to 50%.
Here's where I'm planning to place them
Blastomussa (red)
Goniapora (black)
Yuma riccordea (yellow)
Rhodactus(orange)
Dipsastraea(purple)
20240808_142305.jpg

When should I move them to their spots?
Should I change their spots?
Thanks
 
I'd do Blastos on orange and Rhodactis on red personally but either should be fine.

Goni yellow and Ricordea right below that.

Leave black for some nice torches and the top of the arch for a nice SPS or two and up above and between blue and red for hammers and frogs.

But it also depends on flow.

As far as when to move them, they may not need a ton of acclimation depending on the settings from where they were kept originally.
 
I'd do Blastos on orange and Rhodactis on red personally but either should be fine.

Goni yellow and Ricordea right below that.

Leave black for some nice torches and the top of the arch for a nice SPS or two and up above and between blue and red for hammers and frogs.

But it also depends on flow.

As far as when to move them, they may not need a ton of acclimation depending on the settings from where they were kept originally.
Do you think it would be okay to move them today?
 
I'd do Blastos on orange and Rhodactis on red personally but either should be fine.

Goni yellow and Ricordea right below that.

Leave black for some nice torches and the top of the arch for a nice SPS or two and up above and between blue and red for hammers and frogs.

But it also depends on flow.

As far as when to move them, they may not need a ton of acclimation depending on the settings from where they were kept originally.
I love the placement plan you made, but it seems that there is only a few inches of space between the top of the arch and the water line. There may not be space for any acros there. Thats just my 2cents.
 
I love the placement plan you made, but it seems that there is only a few inches of space between the top of the arch and the water line. There may not be space for any acros there. Thats just my 2cents.
I usually try to mount Acros horizontally. I do agree though that it could cause problems long term. However, I wouldn't recommend Acros yet anyway. I was thinking more like a Montipora Cap or a Digitata. Something easy with a lot of color.
 
Last edited:
For mounting the coral would it be fine to mount with super glue only or should I go out and buy epoxy?
I use super glue only but it does tend to weaken over time. If you have a coral that encrusts, it'll be fine once it's grown over. For skeletal corals, sometimes it will weaker to the point that the coral can fall off. If you're glueing a frag plug to the rocks, really squish it into the rock pores to help hold it in place, but remember it can still fall off eventually.
 
Mounted a few here's pics. I decided to move the goniopora down a little
 

Attachments

  • 20240809_131456.jpg
    20240809_131456.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 31
  • 20240809_131447.jpg
    20240809_131447.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 38
  • 20240809_131439.jpg
    20240809_131439.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 32
What is your flow like? 20x, 30x, 50x? Just curious......
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 8 5.0%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 6.9%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 17.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 56 35.2%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 6.9%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.3%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 24 15.1%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 10 6.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new