Coral placement help

jneal

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 7, 2026
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Location
england
What state or country do you live in
United Kingdom
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very new to all this so apologies if I say anything stupid!

My tmc first wave 78l has been cycled for around 2 months now current live stock load is:
2 clowns
2 cleaner shrimp
1 conch
2 red legged hermit
2 cerith snails
1 torch coral
1 hammer
1 goniopora
1 toadstool

Parameters are fairly stable these days at: (touch wood)
Ph 8.1
Dkh 9
Phosphate 0.1
Calcium 430 salifert (this is a contested one as my salifert test religiously tests it at around 80 above the lfs spin test so I’m conflicted on further dosing)
Magnesium 1350
Nitrate showing 0-1
Light - ai 21 blade grow on 70/70/8 for 1.8.1

So problem number one the corals have all been in for around 1-2 weeks now depending on which we’re talking about and I’m not sure I’ve got placements right… my torch seems to have stalled at about 50% extension based on how open I saw it in the lfs, I moved my toadstool after it didn’t open for a week and it’s been nice and extended ever since. The hammer is normally more extended like the second photo but I think maybe the flow is too high where it is and maybe too low where the torch is so wondering if I need to swap them round?

I’ve probably got it all muddled up so any observations or suggestions are more than welcome!

From what I’ve gathered my nitrate is too low but my lfs keeps saying it’s fine so any confirmation on that too would be very helpful along with wether I should be trusting my salifert or not 🤣

Running with skimmer on, and filter floss, carbon and bio balls in the filtration section. IMG_3291.jpeg
 

Attachments

  • IMG_3711.mov
    40.3 MB
Last edited:
Check out Tidal gardens website. They have care guidelines for the specific corals including par, flow feeding etc. it is very helpful.
 
Upvote 0
To me the flow looks fine the corals look fine. Give it time, the corals need to acclimate to your tank, it could take days or week, some corals even take months or longer to acclimate. Keep your tank as steady as possible and they will acclimate faster.
 
Upvote 0
Check out Tidal gardens website. They have care guidelines for the specific corals including par, flow feeding etc. it is very helpful.
That's always my go-to when I need quick information on corals!
 
Upvote 0

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 4 13.3%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 6.7%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 6.7%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 6.7%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 6 20.0%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new