Coral Propagation from Home - advice/tips

Brian Goldstein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Reefers-

Just some quick background information: I am a recent Biology graduate currently in the process of applying to the clinical laboratory scientist program. I have only been a reefer for 3 years , but have been passionate about it since day 1. Though I love having a show tank, I have found that I am even more fascinated with the technicalities behind aqua-culturing/propagation and everything that it entails.

I first need to highlight the fact that I am NOT getting into propagation to make money , however, getting into propagation inevitably begs the question: "how much money could one make with a simple propagation set up?" Also, I don't think there's anything wrong with wanting to make money doing something you love, especially if both parties can benefit.

One of the reasons I am asking this question is because I find it rather odd that a majority of people who answer this question on forums are quick to tell you to "leave it to the big guys" or "it could possibly cover the expense of the hobby, but nothing more". I know the harsh realities and risks of operating a business, but I wonder how many of those who answered the question were the ones who were just never really committed/passionate enough. Surely the ones who succeeded and made propagating a profitable business didn't have that mindset, right? Even if propagating only amounts to covering my hobby expenses (which it already has with somewhat little effort), I will continue to grow and share my coral with reefers for a long time.

This is vaguely my plan:

-focusing on quality specimens over quantity (my space is limited right now)

-focusing on higher-end/harder to find corals.. (these are just the corals that I've already acquired over the years, so its the better option given my situation)

-in total I have 24 individual colonies of high-end coral + anemones.. All my pieces are decent sized colonies and ready to be fragged.

my new setup:

- 2x4 deep flood table (40 gal) --- +sump

-T5 lighting

-25 gallon lagoon (strictly for anemones)

I would greatly appreciate any comments or advice you have! ... even criticisms
clip_image001.png

Thanks all,

-Brian G.

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like any other commodity, selling the more rare, high end products will have a better profit margin then average products.

If stability is a concern there are plenty of soft/lps corals that are not common but easy to care for. And have decent profit margins. (Just ask my bank account)

The nursery Plant Delights in North Carolina did a thriving business this way. (And wrote several books about it)
Tony Avent and his wife introduced many new plants.
Lol, as the years went on, they even discontinued some plants that were easy to propagate and Lowes/Home Depot eventually sold for a much smaller profit margin.

I would recommend his books for an interesting perspective on any small, high value growing project.
Lol, not talking about cannabis. That is moving into just another tobacco farm status.

Perspective depends on you.

If this is something you do to relax then you have just turned it into another financial responsibility.

If you gain joy from doing something fun and profitable then don't worry about the naysayers. [emoji846]

OP
OP
Brian Goldstein

Brian Goldstein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like any other commodity, selling the more rare, high end products will have a better profit margin then average products.

If stability is a concern there are plenty of soft/lps corals that are not common but easy to care for. And have decent profit margins. (Just ask my bank account)

The nursery Plant Delights in North Carolina did a thriving business this way. (And wrote several books about it)
Tony Avent and his wife introduced many new plants.
Lol, as the years went on, they even discontinued some plants that were easy to propagate and Lowes/Home Depot eventually sold for a much smaller profit margin.

I would recommend his books for an interesting perspective on any small, high value growing project.
Lol, not talking about cannabis. That is moving into just another tobacco farm status.

Perspective depends on you.

If this is something you do to relax then you have just turned it into another financial responsibility.

If you gain joy from doing something fun and profitable then don't worry about the naysayers. [emoji846]

Thank you very much for the advice. I really do appreciate that. Definitely going to look up Plant Delights. I just finished Anthony Calfos book on Coral Gardening and loved it, so the more info the merrier.

Thanks again,

Brian

PDR

<°)))>{
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I was busy selling some coral ;)

I can only speak from my experience, and this probably has to do more with the market I’m in than anything else, but I have a really hard time moving anything “high end” locally. If you plan to ship then it’s not much of an issue. Without trying much at all I’ve made about $500~ a month the past 3 months selling mainly $5-$20 frags.

I have also found that most people buy a variety of coral. So for me at least, it is better to provide a variety vs specializing in a specific coral.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Brian Goldstein

Brian Goldstein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I was busy selling some coral ;)

I can only speak from experience, and this probably has to do more with the market I’m in than anything else, but I have a really hard time moving anything “high end” locally. If you plan to ship then it’s not much of an issue. Without trying much at all I’ve made about $500~ a month the past 3 months selling mainly $5-$20 frags.

I have also found that most people buy a variety of coral. So for me at least, it is better to provide a variety vs specializing in a specific coral.

Thanks for sharing your experience :)

High-end probably wasn't the best description.. I mean high end in the sense that they will generally carry a higher price tag than your average morph, but they will still be affordable for the average reefer. For me, I have no problem with paying a slightly higher price for an aqua cultured/quality /sought after piece. However, I do have some colonies that fit the "high end" description completely. I plan on shipping soon in the western U.S. , but there is a huge obstacle of shipping costs east of the rockies. Still working out a deal with my local UPS store, but living near a big city like LA could work in my favor.

I'm not specializing in a single type of coral, but I also realize mixing SPS with LPS and softies isn't the best way to go in terms of optimization, so I cant just chuck anything I want in my system. Given that 90% of my investments are in LPS and softies, I am going to focus on those, with a few lower light SPS as well.

-Brian G.

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Given that 90% of my investments are in LPS and softies, I am going to focus on those"
Lol, and you ship!

Think I am going to need a stock list and price list please. [emoji23]

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 47 35.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back