Coral reproduction

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reading coral magazine . Jan-feb edition regarding coral spawning .

so question ..... how can we artificially create “spawning “ conditions
Is it only meant to happen once per year ?
Is it only mature larger colonies that will reproduce or will growing and happy frags Also participate ?

does this mean if we were to create optimal conditions , every coral in our tank will reproduce at the same time ?

sculpin01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1) Sunrise/sunset, moonrise/moonset, temperature rise and fall, and light intensity rise and fall appropriate for where the coral would live (Apex supports all but light intensity).
2) Spawning times are species, population, and location specific. Some corals dribble spawn periodically, some spawn on only one night. Some will spawn for several days once a year.
3) Dr. Craggs indicated at Mini MACNA this year that even mini-colonies can spawn but there's probably a minimum size.
4) Coral spawning times have recently been tabulated into a database:

The best presentation I have seen on this was Rich Ross at MACNA 2019:

OP
OP
Rmckoy

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My question is did you read the articles?
Yes but there are still questions .

so the geographic location can be changed as it’s not really specific

So light intensity and photo period needs to change to match .
Raising lights and lessening photo period along with water temp ?

but does this also have to match the moon cycle outside or can we induce spawning at any time ?

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im trying a backyard greenhouse this summer to see if I can induce spawning with natural moonlight and artificial tides. Itll be interesting to mess around with when the builds started Ill post a thread.

sculpin01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You pick a place you want your reef to imitate in the tropics that you have sunrise/sunset, moonrise, and water temperature data for. Let's say you use St. Croix because there's a complete data set for it. Then you fill in the blanks in Apex.local:

Attachments

• moonrise.jpg
    moonrise.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 38
  • new moon.jpg
    new moon.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 38
  • temperature.jpg
    temperature.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 29
  • sunrise.jpg
    sunrise.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 20

sculpin01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're an overachiever, you create sunrise/sunset ramps (remembering that the sky brightens prior to the actual sunrise and after the sunset fro 70-odd minutes):

Attachments

• dawndusk.jpg
    dawndusk.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 23

sculpin01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And if you want, you create artificial tides:

Attachments

• lefttide.jpg
    lefttide.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 22
  • righttide.jpg
    righttide.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 32

sculpin01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my display imitating St. Croix conditions for 6 months. I don't expect a spawn this year as I had a setback in January due to an Ostreopsis red tide (for realsies) that nearly killed the system. The thing you need to be aware of is that you will need two of each species if you want to successfully spawn, so you need a "Noah's Arc" approach. Also, some corals have separate sexes (2/3's of them are hermaphrodites including all Acropora) which makes everything WAY more difficult.

OP
OP
Rmckoy

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my display imitating St. Croix conditions for 6 months. I don't expect a spawn this year as I had a setback in January due to an Ostreopsis red tide (for realsies) that nearly killed the system. The thing you need to be aware of is that you will need two of each species if you want to successfully spawn, so you need a "Noah's Arc" approach. Also, some corals have separate sexes (2/3's of them are hermaphrodites including all Acropora) which makes everything WAY more difficult.
Essentially .
if all acros are both sexes .
they could produce both sperm and egg ?

to get hybrids , you could use any 2 acros as long as they’re the same species ? Tenius etc ?
the only difference would be the time they spawn as tenius spawn earlier

so if I had 2 green slimer colonies .
and conditions were right . They could spawn ?

the huge tabling acro colony I have. .
I could frag it making 2 ?
Not that I want to . I’m not ready for that strict of a maintenance schedule

sculpin01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Green Slimers are Acropora yongei, which means you would need a DIFFERENT Acropora yongei (blue slimer?) in order to get fertilized eggs. Green Slimer sperm will not fertilize Green Slimer eggs but will fertilize a DIFFERENT A. yongei's eggs.

Hybrids are possible but not likely. Fusions/chimeras are way more likely.

Another example: if you had a pink Acropora millepora and a green Acropora millepora, they would successfully cross fertilize each other, but not themselves.

OP
OP
Rmckoy

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Green Slimers are Acropora yongei, which means you would need a DIFFERENT Acropora yongei (blue slimer?) in order to get fertilized eggs. Green Slimer sperm will not fertilize Green Slimer eggs but will fertilize a DIFFERENT A. yongei's eggs.

Hybrids are possible but not likely. Fusions/chimeras are way more likely.

Another example: if you had a pink Acropora millepora and a green Acropora millepora, they would successfully cross fertilize each other, but not themselves.
I was to the understanding 2 green slimer are the same and can spawn .
Crossing blue and green is hybrid .

sculpin01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. All of the Green Slimers in all tanks in the world are from ONE individual coral (kind of weird when you think about it that way). Like if it was cut into a million pieces. And it can't make babies with itself. To make babies you need a DIFFERENT Slimer (Blue or whatever).

A hybrid would be if a Green Slimer and a Pink Millepora had babies and would be a new species (does happen, see Acropora prolifera, which is the love child of Acropora cervicornis and Acropora palmata).

A chimera is when three Acropora millepora babies settle on the same rock, fuse together when tiny and grow up to be a Rainbow Splice:
rainbowsplice.jpg

OP
OP
Rmckoy

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. All of the Green Slimers in all tanks in the world are from ONE individual coral (kind of weird when you think about it that way). Like if it was cut into a million pieces. And it can't make babies with itself. To make babies you need a DIFFERENT Slimer (Blue or whatever).

A hybrid would be if a Green Slimer and a Pink Millepora had babies and would be a new species (does happen, see Acropora prolifera, which is the love child of Acropora cervicornis and Acropora palmata).

A chimera is when three Acropora millepora babies settle on the same rock, fuse together when tiny and grow up to be a Rainbow Splice:
rainbowsplice.jpg
That would be nice to grow out to a colony ....

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 40 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.4%
Back