Coral returning from live rock?

OopsAllPicos

New Member
View Badges
Joined
May 27, 2026
Messages
2
Reaction score
1
Location
Halifax
What state or country do you live in
Canada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all! I have what may be a silly question, but how likely is it that my coral skeleton live rock is coming back to life?

I purchased this live rock from my LFS two months ago, and today noticed the inner branches seem to have coral tissue on them. It looks like it may have previously been pocillopora. I’m wondering if this is in fact living coral and what are the chances it actually returns? Can I do anything to support it if so?
 

Attachments

  • IMG_5283.mov
    62.1 MB
I see that! Very nice. I can't say that it is coral, but perhaps a bryzoan or something similar that is growing over the old coral skeleton? It might be coral, but I think its something else, some life that grows in the ocean as part of the succession community?
 
I see that! Very nice. I can't say that it is coral, but perhaps a bryzoan or something similar that is growing over the old coral skeleton? It might be coral, but I think its something else, some life that grows in the ocean as part of the succession community?
looks to be an old Pocillopora skeleton IMO


To answer OP's question, Usually if there's no tissue the coral won't be able to come back.
 
looks to be an old Pocillopora skeleton IMO


To answer OP's question, Usually if there's no tissue the coral won't be able to come back.
Do you think the pink substance on the skeleton looks like pocillopora coral tissue? It’s easiest to see the contrast between the old coral skeleton and part covered in pink in the final few seconds of the video.
 
happens all the time, in my tank. Had a crash last summer, and lost a lot....a lot is coming back that I thought I lost forever!
 
looks to be an old Pocillopora skeleton IMO


To answer OP's question, Usually if there's no tissue the coral won't be able to come back.
Do you think the pink substance on the skeleton looks like pocillopora coral tissue? It’s easiest to see the contrast between the old coral skeleton and part covered in pink in the final few seconds of the video.
Doesn't look like it, if it was you would see a clear contrast/boundary between the tissue and the surrounding skeleton, not a smooth gradient between the two like here
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new