Coral rich and space poor

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have so many SPS frags/ colonies in my tank it’s absurd. So many in fact that when they grow bigger they’re gonna be all over each other. I even have frags glued to the back wall and on frag racks. Short of buying a bigger tank or buying another tank, do you guys have any suggestions? If I had a bare bottom, I would glue some there, but I keep sand. So ideas please?

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Understand your "pain." I will probably have to evict some corals soon as well. To combat/mitigate chemical warfare, I try to be very careful in their placement, study flow patterns to keep torches, etc. blowing away from other corals, and use a good quality carbon to remove toxins. And, I have found that sometimes the books are wrong; some corals identified as aggressive don't bother other corals within striking distance, and I've found some combinations that aren't supposed to work but do. Still, hard to predict behavior.
Might find this interesting: https://www.petcoach.co/article/mechanisms-of-coral-aggression-and-how-to-control-it/

Good luck.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have so many SPS frags/ colonies in my tank it’s absurd. So many in fact that when they grow bigger they’re gonna be all over each other. I even have frags glued to the back wall and on frag racks. Short of buying a bigger tank or buying another tank, do you guys have any suggestions? If I had a bare bottom, I would glue some there, but I keep sand. So ideas please?
Yea, stop buying frags, give us a chance to buy first.:)

OP
OP
BestMomEver

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, stop buying frags, give us a chance to buy first.:)
It’s an obsession really. I recently upgraded to a larger tank. I remember thinking how much more room my frags will have to spread out a bit. Nope! I just bought more. Recently I ordered some stylo frags and had to study the tank for days before I got them just to figure out where to place them. You are right about aggression being misunderstood sometimes. One thing I have found is that any coral from the family Pocilloporidae will sting anything, even each other. Stylos, pocillopora, and seriatopora are really in need of more space. All my LPS and softies are glued to rock either low down or placed on the sand bed. But I do have a duncan that is quickly getting huge. That might be a problem. Good thing it’s the only long tentacle thing I have attached to a rock! I can send you stuff if you want!
Understand your "pain." I will probably have to evict some corals soon as well. To combat/mitigate chemical warfare, I try to be very careful in their placement, study flow patterns to keep torches, etc. blowing away from other corals, and use a good quality carbon to remove toxins. And, I have found that sometimes the books are wrong; some corals identified as aggressive don't bother other corals within striking distance, and I've found some combinations that aren't supposed to work but do. Still, hard to predict behavior.
Might find this interesting: https://www.petcoach.co/article/mechanisms-of-coral-aggression-and-how-to-control-it/

Good luck.

I really don’t want to evict anything right now. I guess there are some things I can part with... corals that never colored up like I wanted. But, still I like them. Truth be told, I could have a tank dominated with stylos. They are way cool. I also like monti caps. And euphyllia. LOL. I guess I like lots of them.

Oh... what to do?

MissyTwitch

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
trim your corals back if you can. I have to do it. Sometimes I make frags of my larger colonies, if it becomes to big I donate it to someone or move it to a bigger tank and replace it with its smaller clone.

OP
OP
BestMomEver

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Duncan... abt 40 heads. Bought it last year and it had 4 heads.

88CFDD82-F82D-4C4B-B9A8-937D4E16904F.jpeg

Bad shot of a large stylo colony.

9D7AF99C-CE25-46BD-83BC-E1B6A4DB732D.jpeg

And you can see a purple and green Acro sandwiched between it and another olive green stylo. Geez...
I am willing to help! I recently had to restart my tank and have very few corals and you have too many so...
pm me and give me your address. I’ll work on sending them.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Step 1: get rid of anything other than SPS
Step 2: get rid of all Montis, Birdsnest, Stylophora and Pocillipora
Step 3: get rid of any acropora that are common and you can get back in an instant
Step 4: since now you only have nicer acropora, trim them and sell frags

OP
OP
BestMomEver

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Step 3: get rid of any acropora that are common and you can get back in an instant
But.... I love pocilloporadae family corals! And, all I have really is common stuff. If I did all that, I’d have nothing left. ;)

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a long-term progression that most people follow if they love sticks. We all loved Pocis and Stylos once... and now many people will not allow them in their tanks. Just wait until they spawn and you will be cussing them out. :)

OP
OP
BestMomEver

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a long-term progression that most people follow if they love sticks. We all loved Pocis and Stylos once... and now many people will not allow them in their tanks. Just wait until they spawn and you will be cussing them out. :)
I know... I’ve heard..... I’m not sure how I’ll feel about them then.

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cut and share has solved my problem with space for 15 plus years.. Of course you could buy another tank... LOL

ReefDemon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I know Pocillopora can become a bit of a pest when it start to spawn and pop up everywhere, but I didn’t know this could be the case for Stylophoras. Is it as common with Stylos and does it happen with Seriatoporas?

aquaman99

Live Sale Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I vote you post all the corals you have and we do a fun raffle/auction/givaway/sale of some frags. This way you get to keep everything but you also get to trim everything back and we all get to share in your tank’s glory by helping it live on in our own tanks while you make some funds for a bigger tank.

Oshengems

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Step 2 is golden! Lord Jesus these things grow so fast compared to acros

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 37 54.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 37 54.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • None.

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.8%

Back