Coral rich and space poor

Discussion in 'General SPS Discussion' started by BestMomEver, May 10, 2019.

1. BestMomEver

BestMomEver Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 Build Thread Contributor

I have so many SPS frags/ colonies in my tank it’s absurd. So many in fact that when they grow bigger they’re gonna be all over each other. I even have frags glued to the back wall and on frag racks. Short of buying a bigger tank or buying another tank, do you guys have any suggestions? If I had a bare bottom, I would glue some there, but I keep sand. So ideas please?

Blackice615, nanoreefer562 and Jomama like this.

2. Mikedawg

Mikedawg Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award

Understand your "pain." I will probably have to evict some corals soon as well. To combat/mitigate chemical warfare, I try to be very careful in their placement, study flow patterns to keep torches, etc. blowing away from other corals, and use a good quality carbon to remove toxins. And, I have found that sometimes the books are wrong; some corals identified as aggressive don't bother other corals within striking distance, and I've found some combinations that aren't supposed to work but do. Still, hard to predict behavior.
    Might find this interesting: https://www.petcoach.co/article/mechanisms-of-coral-aggression-and-how-to-control-it/

Good luck.

Nailqueencat and BestMomEver like this.
  3. Jomama

Jomama Marine fish monthly R2R Supporter

Yea, stop buying frags, give us a chance to buy first.:)

T_BONE, Blackice615 and BestMomEver like this.
  4. BestMomEver

BestMomEver Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 Build Thread Contributor

It’s an obsession really. I recently upgraded to a larger tank. I remember thinking how much more room my frags will have to spread out a bit. Nope! I just bought more. Recently I ordered some stylo frags and had to study the tank for days before I got them just to figure out where to place them. You are right about aggression being misunderstood sometimes. One thing I have found is that any coral from the family Pocilloporidae will sting anything, even each other. Stylos, pocillopora, and seriatopora are really in need of more space. All my LPS and softies are glued to rock either low down or placed on the sand bed. But I do have a duncan that is quickly getting huge. That might be a problem. Good thing it’s the only long tentacle thing I have attached to a rock! I can send you stuff if you want!
    I really don’t want to evict anything right now. I guess there are some things I can part with... corals that never colored up like I wanted. But, still I like them. Truth be told, I could have a tank dominated with stylos. They are way cool. I also like monti caps. And euphyllia. LOL. I guess I like lots of them.

Oh... what to do?

mbmax likes this.
  5. MissyTwitch

MissyTwitch Member

trim your corals back if you can. I have to do it. Sometimes I make frags of my larger colonies, if it becomes to big I donate it to someone or move it to a bigger tank and replace it with its smaller clone.

BestMomEver likes this.
  6. VSVP bet

VSVP bet Well-Known Member R2R Secret Santa Build Thread Contributor

I have so many sps colonies, I just frequently frag them, they never get bigger than 4 inches across, I just combat growth that way, and make money at the same time.

7. Xanthurum

Xanthurum Active Member

I am willing to help! I recently had to restart my tank and have very few corals and you have too many so...

BestMomEver and TitanCi like this.
  8. Xanthurum

Xanthurum Active Member

I am willing to help! I recently had to restart so I have very few corals and you have too many so...

BestMomEver likes this.
  9. BestMomEver

Duncan... abt 40 heads. Bought it last year and it had 4 heads.

88CFDD82-F82D-4C4B-B9A8-937D4E16904F.jpeg

Bad shot of a large stylo colony.

9D7AF99C-CE25-46BD-83BC-E1B6A4DB732D.jpeg

And you can see a purple and green Acro sandwiched between it and another olive green stylo. Geez...
    pm me and give me your address. I’ll work on sending them.

Jomama and rstrann like this.
  10. jda

jda Valuable Member

Step 1: get rid of anything other than SPS
    Step 2: get rid of all Montis, Birdsnest, Stylophora and Pocillipora
    Step 3: get rid of any acropora that are common and you can get back in an instant
    Step 4: since now you only have nicer acropora, trim them and sell frags

Rooneski, Dsnakes and zack801 like this.
  11. BestMomEver

But.... I love pocilloporadae family corals! And, all I have really is common stuff. If I did all that, I’d have nothing left. ;)

Dsnakes likes this.
  12. jda

jda Valuable Member

This is a long-term progression that most people follow if they love sticks. We all loved Pocis and Stylos once... and now many people will not allow them in their tanks. Just wait until they spawn and you will be cussing them out. :)

Roberto Luo and BestMomEver like this.
  13. BestMomEver

I know... I’ve heard..... I’m not sure how I’ll feel about them then.

14. chicago

chicago Well-Known Member

cut and share has solved my problem with space for 15 plus years.. Of course you could buy another tank... LOL

15. Jon Fishman

Jon Fishman Valuable Member

It's a great time of the year temperature-wise to send some up to Cleveland.........

16. ReefDemon

ReefDemon Member

I know Pocillopora can become a bit of a pest when it start to spawn and pop up everywhere, but I didn’t know this could be the case for Stylophoras. Is it as common with Stylos and does it happen with Seriatoporas?

17. aquaman99

aquaman99 Well-Known Member

I vote you post all the corals you have and we do a fun raffle/auction/givaway/sale of some frags. This way you get to keep everything but you also get to trim everything back and we all get to share in your tank’s glory by helping it live on in our own tanks while you make some funds for a bigger tank.

18. AngryMike2016

AngryMike2016 Active Member

Hey Aqua, my dude! Any better luck with sticks recently?

aquaman99 likes this.
  19. Tyler Bullock

Tyler Bullock Active Member

lol If you want to get rid of some, I'll take some sps off your hand!!

20. Oshengems

Oshengems Valuable Member

Step 2 is golden! Lord Jesus these things grow so fast compared to acros

Draft saved Draft deleted