OP
OP
Stephan Bitterwolf

Stephan Bitterwolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
VERY cool and welcome to R2R! Can't wait to read your results! It doesn't look like you have any fish in the tank. Are you're doing anything else for biological control of algae and/or providing a supplemental source of nitrogen/phosphorus to the corals?

I'm in Oakland, but Santa Cruz is one of our favorite places on the West Coast so my partner and I try to sneak down there as often as we can to explore the coastline and redwoods. It's certainly a beautiful place to do a PhD. Best of luck!

That's Awesome! Feel free to come check out the tank if you are ever around.

In the tank I have lots of snails, 3 urchins, a Mandarin Dragonett, plenty of amphipods, copepods (? haven't been seeing them lately), and emerald crabs. Then I have a 40 gal breeder as my sump/refugium with plenty of light and algae for nutrient uptake. So far so good.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Stephan Bitterwolf

Stephan Bitterwolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome,Thank you for showing off your system and your research.This can only help our reefing community.
Is this a totally self funded project or are you getting help from local fish stores and outside donations?I ask sense there are a lot of suppliers,vendors and others in this community I'm sure would like to donate to higher education.

Hi Mike, this is somewhat self funded. I wrote proposals for a few thousand. I contacted a lot of reef stores and got a whole sale account with premium aquatics, a free MarinePure block, a 40% discount from Kessil, and at cost LED supplies from LedSupply.com. I was surprised to find that my favorite stores didn't want to support my study. Even with the option of having it be a tax write off.
Either way I have been really fortunate to receive the support where I did :)

Stephan

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back