Coral Selling Etiquette?

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I have a number of frags I wanted to trade to my LFS, unfortunately they just got a huge (for them) shipment of corals and wont be taking any trades for the foreseeable future. I have another LFS but they only take corals on certain days, don't give much credit, and don't have much reefing gear to spend credit on. . . There was a reef specific store locally but they shutdown their store front. . .

Is it in poor taste to post on craigslist/facebook (I don't have facebook so that's probably out haha)? Should I just wait for my LFS to sell through there corals and trade in then (likely months. . . )

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've met some really nice people posting on here and some really interesting people on Craigslist, Tinder, etc.

I would post on here to keep your profile on the up and up.

Jasonak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
https://maps.app.goo.gl/m8dA7ejkn7hk7CWZ8
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I kinda feel bad cause my preferred LFS is pretty good to me haha
My LFS is good to me also but they dont buy coral/fish etc so you are on your own to sell it. They will take it off your hands for free and occasionally give you something if the right person is working.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be honest, be fair and it is all good.

Take quality photos in both white and blue light (if needed) and put prices out there in advance. You will get too many inquiries if you do not price things. You can say that you offer discounts for multiple purchase, or just put in the post what the discount is... like $10 each or 7 for $50, or whatever.

This is not a forever thing. The market will saturate with your corals and while is is easy to sell a few frags of bubblegum chalice, eventually everybody that wants some will have it from you.

Shipping is easy. Just get an account for discount shipping and use good boxes. You can pass that cost along to the buyer.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use platforms like kijiji and facebook market all the time. It depends what you are selling though.

95% are selling the same low end weed corals, a few sell nice acro frags but ask the same price as the LFS.

I look for the guy thats just trimming corals back and only asking $5-$10 per frag. I love these guys, they are usually more sociable and usually invite me in to see their tanks.

Of course, there is a difference between selling everything to the LFS at one time, compared to dealing with people one at a time, dealing with low ballers, people that say they are coming but never come.....

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I kinda feel bad cause my preferred LFS is pretty good to me haha
There is something to be said for brick and mortar loyalty. I go to my LFS all the time just for fun (even when I don't need anything). Bunch of kids work there, and we talk about all kinds of stuff, cars, houses, life in general. I like that connection and relationship building. Otherwise, as long as you are ethical in your business dealings, it does not matter the platform.

mattdg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is there a club, or R2R forum associated with the area you live? They are great places to donate and sell coral. Set up a local swap. Maybe even involve your LFS. Even fish stores need to be creative and many are not adverse to hobbyists selling coral. The good will reflects positively on the LFS and establishes new relationships and clients. Far as selling on craigslist and FB. I say, go for it! You may have to deal with a few schmucks showing up at your home, unless you set a meeting place. Either way, this is an expensive hobby. Selling and swapping coral is part of maintaining a reef system.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So I have a number of frags I wanted to trade to my LFS, unfortunately they just got a huge (for them) shipment of corals and wont be taking any trades for the foreseeable future. I have another LFS but they only take corals on certain days, don't give much credit, and don't have much reefing gear to spend credit on. . . There was a reef specific store locally but they shutdown their store front. . .

Is it in poor taste to post on craigslist/facebook (I don't have facebook so that's probably out haha)? Should I just wait for my LFS to sell through there corals and trade in then (likely months. . . )
By me, many coral on facebook groups and craigslist

Boehmtown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try to sell it on a local reef forum, then reef2reef, at that point I just give an LFS what's left for Free

Falc!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to trade to lfs but now I just post on Fb market and fb local reef groups and do sell quite a bit. Just be sure to post pics in both lighting, white and blue. And don’t charge what lfs do either. I’ve given hammers and frogs for like 15-20 a head and stick frags for like 10-20. People love them and keep coming back for more. A freebie here and there help a lot too

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 118 58.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.5%
Back