OP
Donovan Joannes

Donovan Joannes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man I’m jealous the $$$$$ i could save living next to you! Keep the pics coming! So are clams easy to spot and a lot around?? Where do you live if I missed that? Thanks for sharing

Giant clam is quite common in this area, but very seldom you can see one exposed during low tide. This guy is sitting patiently waiting for incoming tide. He is lucky half of its shell is under water.

JakeK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have blue only setting, but here is my tank with all LED channels are on

Sight_2017_11_18_184238_348.jpg

Sight_2017_11_18_183035_119.jpg

Cool pictures and nice tank. what is the purple/pink softie on the left side of your tank here?

Maddlesrain

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! Great pictures and beautiful tank! How many of your corals have you collected yourself?

OP
OP
Donovan Joannes

Donovan Joannes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool pictures and nice tank. what is the purple/pink softie on the left side of your tank here?

It's a pink kenya tree. This is the third generation, previous colony were sold off (too big).

azreeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I was in your shoes I would need a bigger home and I would get a massive tank. No way I could put back a large clam like that I would be grabbing and taking Home anything I got my hands on! Beautiful tank and colors, is everything in your tank collected on your own?

OP
OP
Donovan Joannes

Donovan Joannes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! Great pictures and beautiful tank! How many of your corals have you collected yourself?

I can't recall how many. I just started keeping acros last year, some were bought locally, a few I collected during low tide. 95% are wild specimen.

OP
OP
Donovan Joannes

Donovan Joannes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I was in your shoes I would need a bigger home and I would get a massive tank. No way I could put back a large clam like that I would be grabbing and taking Home anything I got my hands on! Beautiful tank and colors, is everything in your tank collected on your own?

Me too, but wild clams are protected. We can buy tank raised clams quite cheaply. We have a few clam hatchling facilities, all new babies are released back into the wild. All 7 giant clams types are successfully spawned, this guy must be one of them :)

OP
OP
Donovan Joannes

Donovan Joannes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow I'm ready to move now! My dad is from Malaysia. Where I live now in Canada there isn't even any reef shops near me, never mind reefs.

Hehe. 75% of known corals are found here, mostly protected in marine parks. This reefs is next to a public beach, can you believe that?

teller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the photos they seem all green, brown....is it true?
Have you ever tested for nitrates and phosphates in these waters?
Thanks.

OP
OP
Donovan Joannes

Donovan Joannes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the photos they seem all green, brown....is it true?
Have you ever tested for nitrates and phosphates in these waters?
Thanks.

Most corals are brown or green looking under sunlights, more colorful under midday sun. Here are some specimen we have collected on today "shopping" :). Nicely colored for a reef system very close to a city.

IMG-20171206-WA0006.jpg

teller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes definitely several colors!;)
@Donovan Joannes I have been changing my black boxes LEDs to introduce other frequencies like violet 410-420nm and less "white" ones.
Could you shortly describe your LEDs choice in terms of number of each spectrum colors LEDs?
Or if you already done that the link ti that post?
I love your tank visual!
Thanks.

OP
OP
Donovan Joannes

Donovan Joannes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes definitely several colors!;)
@Donovan Joannes I have been changing my black boxes LEDs to introduce other frequencies like violet 410-420nm and less "white" ones.
Could you shortly describe your LEDs choice in terms of number of each spectrum colors LEDs?
Or if you already done that the link ti that post?
I love your tank visual!
Thanks.

Haha. Thanks for the compliments. I can't remember the exact combi, tank is dark now. I will let you know once I have visually inspect the combination tomorrow.

OP
OP
Donovan Joannes

Donovan Joannes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is awesome. I would be shopping every day.
Make a frag tank and only take 1" pieces of EVERYTHING!

Year end shopping spree :D. If I have a boat, I surely visits some isolated reef islands that is visible this time around. There must be some rainbow acros waiting to be discovered somewhere :)

OP
OP
Donovan Joannes

Donovan Joannes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is frazzling awesome. I have a couple weeks off of work coming up here shortly.
Mind a couple having a couple new house guests for a couple days?

Are you limited to a daily/seasonal take or is there no limit?

You have 2 days left :). There are thousands of hotel rooms around here, from 6 stars private resort all the way to backpackers. Just grab your sleeping bag and sleep under the stars. You can collect frags, but you need permit to bring it out. Too bad it might end up in my tank, sorry :D

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 14 9.7%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 63 43.4%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 67 46.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.7%
Back