Coral shopping spree - low tide activities

rockstarta78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is so cool. So if you are just collecting for your own tank, do you just break pieces of anything you like? Are their any laws on what you can frag and what not? I really need to visit a real reef.

OP
OP
Donovan Joannes

Donovan Joannes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is so cool. So if you are just collecting for your own tank, do you just break pieces of anything you like? Are their any laws on what you can frag and what not? I really need to visit a real reef.

Yes, but most of the time you will find pieces on the sand, fragged my mother nature, turtles, sharks, fishes etc. literally there are hundreds small pieces all over the place.

We have marine parks as well, and fully protected so no such activities allowed :D

Last edited:
OP
OP
Donovan Joannes

Donovan Joannes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow Just wow! Who needs a tank when you got that right there lol

Basically my state is surrounded by reefs. Just grab you snorkels and head out to the reef tanks, mother nature would love to show you around.

flo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which part of Borneo is the marine park at? My family lives in Malaysia and would love to visit the parks when I am home. Thanks

flo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where in Borneo are u in ? And where are most of the marine reef park?

Jckisko

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Low tide in the DC area... slim pickings.
326FF3A9-A897-4555-9C24-71F4053F4546.jpeg

OP
OP
Donovan Joannes

Donovan Joannes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which part of Borneo is the marine park at? My family lives in Malaysia and would love to visit the parks when I am home. Thanks

We have 3, millions square kilometres. Tunku Abdul Rahman (near capital city), Tun Sakaran (east coast) and Tun Mustapha (north of Sabah).

Sea MunnKey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just saw Donovan's pictures of wild corals and I didn't even know that there's so many of these corals flourishing locally ... but then I left my birth hometown of Borneo back in 1989. Thanks for the memories .... RIP Donovan Joannes

Last edited:

Sea MunnKey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are the Top 8 islands & popular famous dive sites ...
  • Tunku Abdul Rahman Park. ...
  • Sipadan. ... (Jacques Cousteau visited this specific island back in the '80's)
  • Layang-Layang. ...
  • Mabul Island. ...
  • Labuan Island. ...
  • Lankayan Island. ...
  • Pulau Tiga. ...
  • Mataking Island.

Sea MunnKey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sipadan, Malaysia
A Malaysian island located off Borneo’s east coast, Sipadan became famous following Cousteau’s early ‘80s film “Ghost of the Sea Turtles.” Cousteau himself said of the area, “I have seen other places like Sipadan 45 years ago, but now no more. Now we have found an untouched piece of art.” Since then it has often landed atop lists of the world’s best dive sites, with more than 3,000 marine species and corals; it’s particularly noted for its large number of turtles. Sipadan has been protected since 2002, so there are no resorts on the island and divers can only visit via day boat. Since 2013 only 120 divers are allowed on Sipadan daily between the hours of 8:00am and 3:00pm. Most dives here are drift dives, with some very strong currents in some places. An Advanced Open Water certification or minimum of 20 logged dives is required.

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 11 9.9%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 47 42.3%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 52 46.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%

Back