Walking around the reef at low tide

MaccaPopEye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasn't sure which forum would be best to post this in so mods please move it if there is a better place :)

Where I live in the sea level usually ranges from around 2-7m however at certain times of the year tides can range from 8m highs to 0.1m lows.

Usually the water is so dirty you probably wouldn't be able to see more than a meter if you went snorkelling or diving (not to mention tiger sharks and crocodiles are everywhere) but the lows less than 1m reveal some local coral reefs where you are able to walk right out and have a look at all the marine life while staying on dry land (and some shallow tide pools).

There are half a dozen extreme tides around midday towards the end of each year however there is also half a dozen extreme tides that happen around midnight in the first half of the year.

I've been out during the day on my own many times before and seen some very interesting things however I have always wanted to go and have a look at night too. So this time I spoke to a couple of local reefers and got some people to come out with me for some night time reef walks!

The below photo dump is just some of the things we saw over two 1am reef walks. I'm not that great of a photographer, let alone in pitch black while trying to hold a torch and take photos so here are some of the decent ones :p.

If you know the ID's of anything I didn't title (or if I got it wrong) feel free to let me know!

At these extreme low tides some of the coral ends up in tide pools but most of it is left exposed to the air for about 2+ hours. At night time this isn’t so bad, but during those midday lows the temp can be in the mid 30’s (Celsius). So next time you do a WC and some of your coral is exposed for a few min there is no need to freak out as some people do :p
Coral%204_zpsdhjp308z.jpg

The vast majority of coral out there is green or brown. But there is some pretty awesome turquoise and bluish corals as well as the occasional extreme toxic green and I have even seen some reds here and there.
Coral%203_zps7a7gjihu.jpg

It is mostly soft or LPS coral down there but we saw a few colonies of this acro. This colony was quite large and unfortunately the photo makes it look more brown than the green it actually is.
Acro_zpswkpsbptr.jpg

This monti (I think) was a colour pattern that I haven’t seen out there before, it looked purple and green.
Monti%202_zpsatcop86e.jpg

Monti%201_zpsvsipoklo.jpg

There is a lot of fungia plate and tongue corals out there. Most of the plate corals are brown or green but this one had a cool blue tinge to it. There are a lot of tongue corals out there that are more of a blue or purple shade too.
Blue%20Fungia_zpsyd1lzyrx.jpg

These moon corals (moseleya latistellata) are everywhere and there are some very cool different shades of green which would likely colour up even better in clean water. In my first tank I had one from out here that was as brown as they come and 6 months later was toxic green with some thin bright orange stripes.
Blue%20moon%20coral_zps9jjbehct.jpg

There are lots of different anemones out here, carpets (I’ve seen yellow, green and brown ones), bubble tips (mostly green) and then there is rock flower anemones. This one was particularly pretty, and it was fully out of the water and still open, usually they close up when they are out of the water.
Anemone_zpshhuqqudk.jpg

These two are of another rock flower anemone, the first pic was just with the cameras flash and the second was the anemone under UV light and it really glowed! (It was really hard to get pics with the UV light on though, it washed out the camera and almost all didn’t turn out any good).
Rock%20flower_zpswbcta6tk.jpg

Rock%20flower%20UV_zps3wqablmh.jpg

This was a very cool purple/blue Duncan coral. I’ve only ever seen green ones and once a bleached white one out there before.
Duncan_zpsopkme7pl.jpg

One thing that is crazy common out there is goniopora. There is green, red and purple gonis everywhere. I see them there all the time though so I didn’t take any photos of them this time (my bad :p). But this cool blue coral looks similar to a goni (I actually thought it was at first), but turns out it is called blue anthelia (Sarcothelia sp.).
Blue%20Goni_zpsjngz0nde.jpg

A couple of cool looking LPS with contrasting blotchy colours.
Coral%201_zpsqpg6cf5v.jpg

Coral%202_zpstwvbcgmr.jpg

This one was a bit weird, I’ve never seen it out there before and have no idea what it is. It wasn’t quite as hard as I would expect an LPS to be but it was certainly harder than a sponge. Maybe some kind of soft coral?
Unknown%20coral%20or%20sponge_zpsiejvifsp.jpg

I have heard of these white and black nudibranchs being common here but haven’t seen any until now.
Nudi%20macro_zps0oerxwhd.jpg

Nudi_zpsqip8gdnf.jpg

Blue ringed octopus are apparently very common around here but I have yet to see one in person, possibly because I am lucky or maybe I’m just blind :p. However we did spot this long tentacle octopus on the first night. It made its way under a rock before I could get the camera out though.
Octopus%20legs_zpssb6wl4kb.jpg

I’m not sure what kind they are but we saw quite a few of these little shrimp. They were mostly buried in the sand but their eyes really lit up bright red in the torch light.
Shrimp_zpsbnbwmm8d.jpg

Red%20shrimp_zpstv6xqbj9.jpg

I’m not sure what kind of snail this is, but they are about the size of my hand and there is quite a few of them out there.
Snail_zpslcuw5avq.jpg

This was a really interesting chiton. I’ve never seen them during the day before but during the night they were everywhere. I’ve also never seen a spikey chiton before but what I found the most interesting is that I didn’t find any in the water but they were everywhere on rocks about 2-3m above the water line.
Chiton_zpsgflmllkq.jpg

This crab thought I was trying to take his dinner. These crabs are everywhere out there and are very aggressive. They will run from you but if they feel cornered they will charge snipping away.
Crab_zpspm44texy.jpg

We saw two of these bright red crabs. One walking around and the other hiding in a rock.
red%20crab_zpskmhyxsp7.jpg

Red%20Crab_zpsqljjpflo.jpg

This decorator crab was HUGE. It’s body was about 30cm.
Decorator%20crab_zpsknpdwalm.jpg

OP
OP
MaccaPopEye

MaccaPopEye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve seen one epaulette shark during the day before hiding from the heat under a large rock and the first night out we didn’t see any. But the second night we saw heaps of them! We also saw a zebra shark but it swam away and hid under a rock before I could get a photo.
epaulette%20shark%203_zpspztlh2ve.jpg

epaulette%20shark%201_zpsv2gbaetw.jpg

I have heard that there are quite a few different tangs around in the harbour but this is the first time I have seen one out here at low tide and we found 2 of these. I am pretty sure it is an eyestripe surgeon fish (Acanthurus dussumieri), both of the ones we saw were around 40cm big!
Eyestripe%20Tang%203_zpstka5ufdv.jpg

Eyestripe%20Tang%202_zpsszaxfbhz.jpg

Eyestripe%20Tang%201_zpsmzqnbaxr.jpg

Large scribbled angelfish are actually very common out here. There was two of them in this pool but the water was very stirred up which made it very difficult to get a decent photo. They are a really stunning fish in person though!
Angel_zpsms2fuibc.jpg

There is quite a lot of these Muelleri butterflies around. During the day they are very fast and duck under rocks well before you see them but at night time they are sleeping out in open pools just floating around.
Mulleri%20Butterfly%202_zpsqadsmjoe.jpg

Mulleri%20Butterfly%201_zpsvmrqotj5.jpg

Copper%20Band_zpsltlqekjo.jpg

There were quite a few of these fish out on the first night but none on the second night. They freaked out when the torch light shone on them and they were very fast. I think they are some kind of scat.
Fish%204_zpspynbwnvn.jpg

The next few fish are an assortment of very well camouflaged fish. I wouldn't have a clue what most of them are.
Jaw%20fish_zpsbr0hlzdm.jpg

Unknown%20Fish%202_zpsbsxht9bw.jpg

Unknown%20Fish%201_zpsfo7tnlac.jpg

Fish%205_zpsytuf9pwi.jpg

Fish%203_zpsixpik5hy.jpg

Fish%202_zpsn8f2htuy.jpg

Fish%201_zpsio8fzw0z.jpg

And saving the best for last! On the first night there was a bunch of marine biologists also out looking for a rare sponge and they called us over to a large tide pool to show us this turtle! The photos aren’t great as the poor thing had stirred up the water a bit by swimming around in circles in the tide pool. In spite of the poor photos a herpetologist friend of mine was able to identify it as a hawksbill sea turtle.
Turtle%202_zpsas8gzln6.jpg

Turtle_zps89dqjuus.jpg

Well that’s all for now folks. I’ve got some photos somewhere from a few of the daytime trips I could post if there is any interest and if people want I can update this thread with pics the next time I go out (that probably won’t be until the end of the year though).

Cheers,

Macca

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh there is definitely some interest.

From one low tide rambler to another thank you so much for sharing.

Every day I looked forward to walking the reef at low tide in California, Hawaii, Tonga and Samoa. Yup it's a thing. :)

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm so jealous! I hate being land locked, even working at a public aquarium. Those are some fantastic photos thank you for sharing. Also I'll throw an ID out on the one you mentioned you thought could be a soft coral or large polyp. It's Palythoa tuberculosa, a "sea mat". Probably best not to touch or handle that one they're quite toxic, just have to put the warning out there :) thanks again for sharing all those!

OP
OP
MaccaPopEye

MaccaPopEye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone :) I'll see if I can find some of the decent pics from some of the day time trips last year and I'll post them up. Due to shift work I am working on the next (the last this year) night time low tides. But I plan to go back out again during the day time lows in a few months.

Also I'll throw an ID out on the one you mentioned you thought could be a soft coral or large polyp. It's Palythoa tuberculosa, a "sea mat". Probably best not to touch or handle that one they're quite toxic, just have to put the warning out there :) thanks again for sharing all those!
Awesome that's it, thanks for the ID!
And it never hurts to remind people how toxic some marine life can be no matter how often they have heard it :) when I go out I have rubber gardening gloves for if I touch anything, but in general I try not to touch things for that reason.

Jenna Bearden

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How cool! I would love to go looking like that! BTW thanks for sharing!!!! It's nice to be so close to nature liked that. I would thoroughly enjoy seeing new corals and critters.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 66 85.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.9%
Back