Coral Spawning Poll

Have you gotten coral to spawn? If so, did your tank have any of the below attributes?

• Haven't gotten coral to spawn

Votes: 12 85.7%
  • Moonlights

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seasonal temperature change

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Coral Feeding

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Natural lighting/windows, allowing moonlight spill from outside

Votes: 1 7.1%

• Total voters

Charlie the Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

The topic of coral spawning fascinates me.

If you have gotten coral to spawn ever, I'm curious as to anything special you did with the tank? Or was it more random.

What are your guys experience with it? I have read much of the research by Jamie Craggs and joined the FB groups. Potentially it's something I would like to pursue in my own tanks.

Thanks all, really looking forward to the responses.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need a "Unknown or Nothing Special" box. ;) I've had yellow stone polyps spawn repeatedly in a system for years. Nothing special and what I found interesting was it was always about 2 hours before the lights turned on and when timers were changed spawning time changed accordingly. I've caught Rodactis, Sinularia and Euphylia spawning also and it seemed to be associated with water changes but not always so it may just have been when the corals were ready and I guess I should point out it was when lights were on.

Here's pics of the yellow stone polyps spawning:

Yellow Zooanthid Spawning A.JPG

YellowZooanthidRepro-12.JPG

OP
OP
Charlie the Reefer

Charlie the Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need a "Unknown or Nothing Special" box. ;) I've had yellow stone polyps spawn repeatedly in a system for years. Nothing special and what I found interesting was it was always about 2 hours before the lights turned on and when timers were changed spawning time changed accordingly. I've caught Rodactis, Sinularia and Euphylia spawning also and it seemed to be associated with water changes but not always so it may just have been when the corals were ready and I guess I should point out it was when lights were on.

Here's pics of the yellow stone polyps spawning:

Yellow Zooanthid Spawning A.JPG

YellowZooanthidRepro-12.JPG
Thank you for your response :)

Bah. Looks like I can't edit the poll anymore but agreed. Much of hobbyist coral spawning appears to be more random/incidental.

Thanks for the data point. I'm really excited to experiment with this. Need more reading material.... :p

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Video of gsp spawning,not sure if missed part where lets the red balls go into water column or this just how it does it.
Gsp was only in tank couple of days and found lots off sea slugs eating it ( think pulled off 30 odd sea slugs over next few weeks ) and gsp opened for few weeks then slowly pulled polyps in and now 3 months after its nearly disintegrated and no polyps so unsure of sea slugs damaged it to much or because was on sandbed and my silver belly wrasse always dive bombs sand around it nearly every hour and sand always on it,but just recently moved it higher but think it's a goner tbh,second time tried gsp and 2nd time failed lol

Last edited:

flagg37

Custom stair builder - TreeofLifeStairs.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral spawning in home aquariums is like seeing a UFO. People say they’ve seen it and the pictures all look like they could be faked but there’s enough people that insist that it happens that people believe it could happen to them too. :)

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral spawning in home aquariums is like seeing a UFO. People say they’ve seen it and the pictures all look like they could be faked but there’s enough people that insist that it happens that people believe it could happen to them too. :)
Ha ha made me belly tickle ^_^
So this either means ufo are real or them little red balls in my gsp,I planted there and really are my 5 year olds pom poms from her arts and craft set .
Ha ha love it

Smoke-Town

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just had some coral spawning last night. Couldn't tell which had done it. Never happened before. Nothing in the poll really except natural light from a bunch of windows on other side of room that would let moonlight in... but... tonight is a full moon... and last night was a huge full blood moon. Also did about a 50 percent water change 30 hours beforehand. Few more pics in the build thread for anyone interested.
20221106_205311.jpg

OP
OP
Charlie the Reefer

Charlie the Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just had some coral spawning last night. Couldn't tell which had done it. Never happened before. Nothing in the poll really except natural light from a bunch of windows on other side of room that would let moonlight in... but... tonight is a full moon... and last night was a huge full blood moon. Also did about a 50 percent water change 30 hours beforehand. Few more pics in the build thread for anyone interested.
20221106_205311.jpg
That’s fascinating. Thanks for the data point :)

Ancient Mariner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a spawning event last month a couple of days after a full moon. Got some video!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Charlie the Reefer

Charlie the Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a spawning event last month a couple of days after a full moon. Got some video!

That's really fascinating! Thanks for your response / reporting in :)

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 133 59.9%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 64 28.8%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 79 35.6%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 39 17.6%
  • Other

Votes: 63 28.4%
Back