Coral Spotlight | Duncans

mikejrice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Unleashing the Underwater Marvel: Dive into the World of Duncan Corals​

Dive Deep into the World of Duncan Corals: Unraveling the Secrets of the Ocean's Whisker Wonders​

Hey there, coral enthusiasts! Today, we're plunging into the vibrant and fascinating universe of Duncan corals, known by the aliases of whisker coral and daisy coral. Buckle up as we explore the ins and outs of these marine marvels that can add an explosion of life and color to your aquatic haven.

Meet the Duncans: More Than Just a Pretty Face​

Duncans, also going by the monikers of whisker coral and daisy coral, are your go-to LPS (Large Polyp Stony) buddies. These sea gems boast a solid resilience, taking on the aquatic world with a cool demeanor. Yet, like any diva, they have their preferences.

The Duncan Diet: Feast Fit for the Fierce​

Picture this: aggressive eaters with tentacles that mean business. Duncans are the kings of the coral dining scene, gobbling up everything from frozen delights to liquid treats and even pellets. However, a word of caution – their feeding frenzy might spill over onto their coral neighbors. It's a coral-eat-coral world out there!

Lighting Lessons: Bright Ideas for Happy Duncans​

When it comes to lighting, Duncans are the versatile show-offs of the reef. They thrive in a spectrum of light levels, but like any A-lister, they fear the dreaded coral bleaching. To keep them shining, start low in the tank and gradually elevate them to their star-studded position.

Flowing with the Waves: The Water Dance of Duncans​

Moderate to strong water flow is the rhythm that makes Duncans sway. As these colonies grow, they morph themselves according to the aquatic beats you provide. Higher flow equals a tighter formation, while a more relaxed flow lets them spread their polyps with a bit more flair.

Where to Place Your Duncan: Respect the Coral Celebrity​

Attention, fellow aquarists! Duncans are the rockstars of the reef, and they know it. Approach with caution, giving these divas the space they deserve. They're not shy about throwing some coral shade if their territory is encroached upon.

General Gossip: Duncan Drama and Growth Secrets​

Here's the backstage pass – Duncans love to grow fast, and they adore regular feedings. Treat them well, and they'll flourish. Need to do some coral surgery? No worries! Just break their heads off at the branch base, and voila – watch those polyps pop out like paparazzi flashes.

Final Dive: Duncan Corals – Your Reef's Red Carpet Stars​

So, there you have it, underwater explorers! Duncan corals, the daisy corals, the whisker wonders – call them what you will, but one thing's for sure: they're the VIPs of your aquatic kingdom. Treat them right, and your reef will be lit up with the dazzling beauty of these oceanic celebrities. Happy reef-keeping!

Last edited:
OP
OP
mikejrice

mikejrice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feast yours eyes on this huge #duncanopsammia #polyp! This is the first #coral I can honestly remember costing a ton for a small #frag. Remember the days when these were $150 to $200 per polyp? I do, but I still love them just the same. Probably one of the easiest corals on the planet to feed and they always reward food with growth!
b28c49b86f7876a5994848c1db559955.jpg

Coral Seeds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Random facts about Duncans:
1) the skeletons are much stronger than many other LPS with branching stalks like euphylia or candy canes.
2) I think new heads form primarily form by sprouting from surrounding tissue (like acans) and not by the head splitting (like euphylia).

Jonathan Troutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cannot figure out how to save my Duncan. It started loosing tissue at the bottom and has slowly moved up. I can’t seem to stop it. Sad to because it is one of my favorite corals.

OP
OP
mikejrice

mikejrice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cannot figure out how to save my Duncan. It started loosing tissue at the bottom and has slowly moved up. I can’t seem to stop it. Sad to because it is one of my favorite corals.
Do you monitor your alkalinity?

rogersb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Common names:duncans, whisker coral, daisy coral

General: Duncans grow much faster with frequent feedings. They can be easily fragged like most euphyllia species by breaking heads off at the base of branches. When fragging, keep all flesh covered branch scrap and watch polyps pop right out of it.

I did not know this and had never seen it until somewhat recently on another site. Someone chopped off all the heads to sell as frags and just kept the large base. After a week or maybe even less the base sprouted new heads and was on it's way to becoming a new colony. Very cool.

Esage

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never known Duncans to be aggressive. Have you had issues with Duncans stinging other corals ?

OP
OP
mikejrice

mikejrice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never known Duncans to be aggressive. Have you had issues with Duncans stinging other corals ?
Yeah, but most corals will sting what they can reach. Duncans just have a bit more aggressive sting than most.

OP
OP
mikejrice

mikejrice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Closest photo I’ve managed to get of a Duncan yet!

7047ce7eddf105a688ed030f1c0bbaaa.jpg

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Bought mine from wwc in October. It was 3 small heads and now I stopped counting at 13. It seems to sprout out new heads weekly. By far my favorite coral!
20190301_164403.jpeg
20190301_164411.jpeg

OP
OP
mikejrice

mikejrice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought mine from wwc in October. It was 3 small heads and now I stopped counting at 13. It seems to sprout out new heads weekly. By far my favorite coral!
20190301_164403.jpeg
20190301_164411.jpeg

It blows my mind how fast they can grow. Do you feed it a lot?

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Everytime I feed the fish it grabs food. I feed mostly natural fresh food with a little pellets and selcon added.

smiley28

Hectorj
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So first a pic or my current Duncan beginning to sprout heads all around the original 2. The following pics (are of pics) of one of my first corals ever which started out as 2 heads like my current Duncan. My old colony was grown under 4 t5 ati bulbs in probably around 5-6 mo.. but it took off very quickly and I definitely can’t compare my current frag growth wise.

1FEC4D10-0D3A-411E-8038-D89A9E7CF289.jpeg
C8A63F7C-AB5D-4879-885F-AB899DC507DB.jpeg
1BB4B301-14CD-44E1-A171-58A4C2465C52.jpeg

OP
OP
mikejrice

mikejrice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These polyps always stand at the ready to grab anything made of meat right out of the water and drag it into its mouth. Duncan’s are truly amazing to watch while they eat.

e4e65a3973380d62601d19ef21876aad.jpg

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still have frags and small colonies in all of my tanks from years and years ago when they were expensive, but again I remember when Kenya trees and LTAs were the best things since sliced bread, as well as anything with a different color outside of brown and dark green was a prized possession. Below is a quick pic of the small colonies in my 10g AIO at work.
upload_2019-4-10_16-21-9.png

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 31 29.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 28 26.7%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 22.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 22 21.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back