CORAL SPOTLIGHT: Stylocoeniella

Davesgt

Happy Happy Happy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figured id do a Spotlight on this unappreciated LPS/SPS coral. Ok I know some will be like HEY THATS A SPS!, Well maybe but after a lot of research on this coral a lot of reputable sources still associate this coral with LPS category. Some of you probably have never seen this coral because it get overlooked a lot because it resembles so many others until further inspection. I know the first time I saw this type of coral was at a frag show some time back at Jason fox's booth. We started a conversation about his piece which was called the JF Sunset, and I was intrigued. It almost looked like a monti with some wild polyp extension, all the while looking like a psammacora at the same time. I decided to purchase this piece and have fallen in love with this species ever since. I would love to have you guys/girls share your experience with this coral, post pics and share what you find to be their optimum care.

QUICK TIPS:

Placement: Bottom-Mid Tank

Care Level: Easy

Lighting: Low-Medium

Water Flow: Medium

Image Via: Jason Fox Signature Corals

sps-10-2.jpg

sty-05-2.jpg

OP
OP
Davesgt

Davesgt

Happy Happy Happy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Come on guys! I know someone has this coral out there lol

Psiber_Syn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got one also ganja from wwc mine was doa but should be getting a replacement very soon cant wait to see it grow out glad I got some info on them now

OP
OP
Davesgt

Davesgt

Happy Happy Happy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got one also ganja from wwc mine was doa but should be getting a replacement very soon cant wait to see it grow out glad I got some info on them now
Glad this could help you, the goal is to feed enough info about this to eventually one day see some nice colonies of this awesome coral.

OP
OP
Davesgt

Davesgt

Happy Happy Happy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure if it is just not as aesthetically pleasing as frag so they just dont offer it or if it is a harder coral to find in the wild. I just always assumed it was kinda like certain fish that look dull and ugly as babies but a few years down the road grow to have the most awesome colors. I know that Jason Fox for some reason seems to have had several variations over the years of this coral and hes just about the only one.

OP
OP
Davesgt

Davesgt

Happy Happy Happy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At our LFS they had a piece come in as a hitch hiker and it looks extremely similar to the Sunset variation, if I can get a pic of it I will post it.

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a few of these, I'll come back and edit some info in. I've had good luck with mine even after a near catastrophic failure in Feb.

OP
OP
Davesgt

Davesgt

Happy Happy Happy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome just got a piece that was a hitchhiker on a piece of live rock, it has a green and yellow base but lately has not had any polyp extension so trying to see what the problem is or if it's just trying to adjust to the tank

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry I missed this and thanks for putting it together! Would love to see more!

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I now have burnin bananas, sunset, and Looney tunes all from jf. I also have a red one from wwc I think it's called wwc blood red stylo. So far they all have behaved about the same so I'll just list parameters etc once...

My tank is alk 8, ca 420, mg around 1280. I dose triton elements to maintain. Mostly led lighting just began supplementing with a couple 18 inch t5 that do almost nothing. So reef breeders led over my display, and orphek Atlantic over my frag tank. Blues are full blast on everything and white at about half way.

I started all of these at about 100 to 120 par and haven't really moved them any higher than 150 par. They seemed to color right up at those values. I did notice that starting burnin bananas that I got through someone else right at 150 par caused it to lighten up immediately and I moved that one to lower lighting to let it recover.

For those without a par meter, reef breeders or Chinese black box led lighting with 3 watt Leds generally put about 100 par 18 to 20 inches under the surface at 100 percent blue and 50 percent white.

Flow in my opinion is moderate where detritus won't settle on the frag, but polyps aren't blown right over from flow either.

OP
OP
Davesgt

Davesgt

Happy Happy Happy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I now have burnin bananas, sunset, and Looney tunes all from jf. I also have a red one from wwc I think it's called wwc blood red stylo. So far they all have behaved about the same so I'll just list parameters etc once...

My tank is alk 8, ca 420, mg around 1280. I dose triton elements to maintain. Mostly led lighting just began supplementing with a couple 18 inch t5 that do almost nothing. So reef breeders led over my display, and orphek Atlantic over my frag tank. Blues are full blast on everything and white at about half way.

I started all of these at about 100 to 120 par and haven't really moved them any higher than 150 par. They seemed to color right up at those values. I did notice that starting burnin bananas that I got through someone else right at 150 par caused it to lighten up immediately and I moved that one to lower lighting to let it recover.

For those without a par meter, reef breeders or Chinese black box led lighting with 3 watt Leds generally put about 100 par 18 to 20 inches under the surface at 100 percent blue and 50 percent white.

Flow in my opinion is moderate where detritus won't settle on the frag, but polyps aren't blown right over from flow either.
Thanks for the info, every bit helps!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 28 60.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back