Coral Spotlight | Turbinaria

  • Thread starter Thread starter mikejrice
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

mikejrice

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 15, 2011
Messages
511
Reaction score
746
Location
Denver, Colorado
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Common names: pagoda cup coral, turban coral, vase coral

Difficulty Level: Turbinaria are generally very tolerant to most conditions.

Feeding: These corals have very good prey capture ability with their medium sized, quick moving polyps. Meaty foods of most sizes are acceptable food for them.

Lighting (Level 4 to 8): Turbinaria will thrive in a wide range of lighting. As with most hard corals, bleaching is a concern, so always acclimate by starting them lower in the tank and slowly move them up to your desired location.

Water flow: Higher flow should be provided to keep the horizontal flat surfaces of these corals clean.

Placement: Turbinaria are not overly aggressive corals. They may be placed on their side in some cases to keep debris from being caught in the cup. Lower light will yield a flatter cup; higher light will yield a more closed cup.

General: These corals feed during the day

https://reefaquariumfish.com/cup-coral-enhancing-the-beauty-reef-tank/
 
Last edited:
What does a lighting level of 4-8 correspond to in regard to PAR?
 
What does a lighting level of 4-8 correspond to in regard to PAR?
The guy at the reef shop I stopped in at told me they can go in high light and high flow.

I made a rookie mistake and went a little tall with my rock work so was looking for some corals for the upper part of my tank. I'm running medium light and have it very high in the tank in some very strong flow and the polyps are fully extended. They seem to like the strong turbulent flow
 
The guy at the reef shop I stopped in at told me they can go in high light and high flow.

I made a rookie mistake and went a little tall with my rock work so was looking for some corals for the upper part of my tank. I'm running medium light and have it very high in the tank in some very strong flow and the polyps are fully extended. They seem to like the strong turbulent flow

If it isn't too late, I'd suggest moving it to the outside of your rock structure and down low so it doesnt mask light from the rest of your corals as it grows out.

Was about 1.5" wide and 2.5" long May of '17. 105 PAR.
33738126034_1bb52d44e2_b.jpg


Almost 5" in diameter now. 210 PAR.
44275878150_c079cf0728_b.jpg
 
Last edited:
If it isn't too late, I'd suggest moving it to the outside of your rock structure and down low so it doesnt mask light from the rest of your corals as it grows out.

Was about 1.5" wide and 2.5" long May of '17. 105 PAR.
33738126034_1bb52d44e2_b.jpg


Almost 5" in diameter now. 210 PAR.
44275878150_c079cf0728_b.jpg
Wow that's nice. It sitting on a large "table" so its got lots of room to grow
 
I have two of these that are purple with green polyps! very pretty and cheap. I wasnt going to buy the other but couldnt resist at 7.50 on ebay auction. The pic they showed was not what i recieved because I expected it to look different, like the round ones I see. They are both squares. I am assuming as the grow they round out? How do you get them to form the swirling plates I have seen or is that a different type?
 
Some of the Turbinaria you've shown are actually Duncanopsammia peltata.
 
Very interesting I hadn't heard about that taxonomy change yet. Thank you for letting me know :)
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.1%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 6.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 21 21.6%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 29 29.9%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 9.3%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 8 8.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 12 12.4%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 7.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new