Coral Stocking Ideas

Bear Claw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 2.5-year-old 32.5-gallon reef tank. I have 2 clownfish, 1 yasha goby, 1 bangaii cardinal fish, and one royal gramma, as well as an assortment of inverts. I want to go all in on corals now and need some help planning out the rest of the tank. I currently have a frammer, 2 frogspawns (though I might be getting rid of one soon), a rasta leather, an acan coral, and a Duncan coral. My parameters are pretty good, but I am not sure how adequate my lighting and flow is for SPS corals. Any ideas on what I should put where? Thank you!

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 2.5-year-old 32.5-gallon reef tank. I have 2 clownfish, 1 yasha goby, 1 bangaii cardinal fish, and one royal gramma, as well as an assortment of inverts. I want to go all in on corals now and need some help planning out the rest of the tank. I currently have a frammer, 2 frogspawns (though I might be getting rid of one soon), a rasta leather, an acan coral, and a Duncan coral. My parameters are pretty good, but I am not sure how adequate my lighting and flow is for SPS corals. Any ideas on what I should put where? Thank you!
What lighting do you have? What are your actual parameters? How good are you at keeping them steady?

These are the pertinent questions before deciding on coral.

OP
OP
B

Bear Claw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What lighting do you have? What are your actual parameters? How good are you at keeping them steady?

These are the pertinent questions before deciding on coral.
Apologies, I forgot to add those. I have 2 AI Prime HD LEDs. My parameters are very stable. I am currently on vacation so I do not have the parameters, but they are almost exactly the Red Sea Coral Pro Salt recommended if that gives you any reference. When I get back Saturday I will do a full test. Just know they are very stable and more than adequate for all corals.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apologies, I forgot to add those. I have 2 AI Prime HD LEDs. My parameters are very stable. I am currently on vacation so I do not have the parameters, but they are almost exactly the Red Sea Coral Pro Salt recommended if that gives you any reference. When I get back Saturday I will do a full test. Just know they are very stable and more than adequate for all corals.

Seems like everything is in order then. As far as which you want, that'll be up to you. SPS will need to be higher up and once growing will require dosing rather than water changes to manage. Start slow, and don't buy the expensive ones out there. Generally SPS are kept around the 5 nitrate and .03 phosphate range.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could dip your toes in with some forgiving and easier sps. I have a birdsnest and monti cap in my 32g Biocube.
CA2A7FD5-FE8A-4BB4-903A-3DC4955941CA.jpeg
A87436A3-3342-4E5F-9107-B1C97FA15176.jpeg

OP
OP
B

Bear Claw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like everything is in order then. As far as which you want, that'll be up to you. SPS will need to be higher up and once growing will require dosing rather than water changes to manage. Start slow, and don't buy the expensive ones out there. Generally SPS are kept around the 5 nitrate and .03 phosphate range.
Thanks! I am in that range for parameters. My only worry is flow. How much flow is too much? I have a 256 gph powerhead pointed over where they would be placed. I have a jebao powerhead but have not got it working yet. Any good corals I could add for variety and to fill out the tank that you would recommend?

OP
OP
B

Bear Claw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you're saying not to do water changes unless the nitrates and phosphates go up too much?

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you're saying not to do water changes unless the nitrates and phosphates go up too much?
That's something that your own testing and dosing methods will dictate. Along with what inhabitants you want. Personally, I change water maybe 2 or 3 times a year.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.6%
Back