Coral Transport over multiple days

joe-ejs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I am going to be traveling over the course of a few days. I have transported corals with same day destination but never over the course of 2-3 days. Is there a easy way to do this with a low mortality rate or is this a high risk situation? Just curious...this would be a car transport in containers, etc. I assume this is not a good idea, but thought I would ask the group.

Thanks

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There can be a big difference between 2 or 3 days. An insulated container is definitely a must. Is this a move, are you purchasing corals and returning them home?

Reffetsevla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've not done full days but I've done long drives with coral for 12+ hours.

I use a large igloo cooler. In that I put a little powerhead and a preset 100w heater. The heater is preset so it cannot change on me during travel, vibration, etc. They're usually set at 78*

Now I usually just use tap water since the coral are in bags, however, if you were to use tank water instead with some surface agitation and opening the top when you stop for the night. I think you would be essentially running a mobile tank then. In my car I have a 110v outlet, if you don't you can buy power inverters pretty cheap nowadays. I believe the igloo coolers are BPA free too so should be good short term I think. Might be worth verifying but I don't think anything would leach in a couple days.

I do this with a large cooler that has a drain (super helpful once done) or a smaller one with no drain. Both have worked amazingly. Just start your cooler warming up the night before if you do a larger one.

Back