Coral

fancy_fish101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a radion G6 XR15 blue back in September. The corals seem to be opening. But I haven’t seen growth from many if them. I dose 2ML of AB+ a day.

not sure what this coral is anyone can help.

any help or advice is helpful. TIA

PS: the tank is running for about a 11 months now. The rock looks new because I added more. All the old rock is in the sump.

A43546BB-4DF3-432B-A97C-C0726E9AA20E.jpeg

Last edited:

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank looks brand new which will hinder growth. What are you parameters?

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like a leptastrea to me and looks healthy from what I can see. Hard to say with certainty if that is a correct ID based off the pic.... but if so it often takes some time for them to get established, but then often grow fairly fast. They do fine in moderate light and even lower so I doubt lighting would be an issue. While not generally required they can grow much faster with targeted feeding of small foods (though surprisingly they will even nab bigger chunks of food as well that seem way to big for them).

OP
OP
F

fancy_fish101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like a leptastrea to me and looks healthy from what I can see. Hard to say with certainty if that is a correct ID based off the pic.... but if so it often takes some time for them to get established, but then often grow fairly fast. They do fine in moderate light and even lower so I doubt lighting would be an issue. While not generally required they can grow much faster with targeted feeding of small foods (though surprisingly they will even nab bigger chunks of food as well that seem way to big for them).
Well I only broadcast feed Ab+ rn. What would you recommend?

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I only broadcast feed Ab+ rn. What would you recommend?

It can be hard to say without knowledge of your system, nutrient levels, etc. In my case I mix up various powders, pellets, and frozen and target feed frequently, but I have systems loaded with coral and no nutrient issues from doing so.

In your case I would probably suggest the smallest sinking pellet food you can find. Ideally lps pellets but I find generally fish pellets work well also. Soak it very well so it is not boyount at all and use a small dropper to try to get just a few pellets to land on the coral with the pumps off. Can also mix in any fine powder coral food(reef blizzard powder, reef roids, reef chili, etc) and do the same thing. However in a tank with limited coral and/or not enough nutrient export this can be a recipe for spiking your nutrients so u have to use a tiny amount and ensure not to overfeed.

Again target feeding is not generally a requirement, but it can definitely increase growth.

OP
OP
F

fancy_fish101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can be hard to say without knowledge of your system, nutrient levels, etc. In my case I mix up various powders, pellets, and frozen and target feed frequently, but I have systems loaded with coral and no nutrient issues from doing so.

In your case I would probably suggest the smallest sinking pellet food you can find. Ideally lps pellets but I find generally fish pellets work well also. Soak it very well so it is not boyount at all and use a small dropper to try to get just a few pellets to land on the coral with the pumps off. Can also mix in any fine powder coral food(reef blizzard powder, reef roids, reef chili, etc) and do the same thing. However in a tank with limited coral and/or not enough nutrient export this can be a recipe for spiking your nutrients so u have to use a tiny amount and ensure not to overfeed.

Again target feeding is not generally a requirement, but it can definitely increase growth.
D4995AB1-284A-455B-9BD5-78CBE52DF86E.jpeg

This is the powder I have. I also got frozen food. Not sure what’s best. But advice will help!!
F03A340F-F4F0-450C-B1D0-4EDCF28FE8E7.jpeg

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
D4995AB1-284A-455B-9BD5-78CBE52DF86E.jpeg

This is the powder I have. I also got frozen food. Not sure what’s best. But advice will help!!
F03A340F-F4F0-450C-B1D0-4EDCF28FE8E7.jpeg

I would mix it up- maybe every 3 days do one or the other dry or frozen. Again especially with the dry use a tiny amount and mix in water. I usually do a couple squirts on the coral and wait about 10 minutes and do a couple more. usually the second time they are more receptive to accepting food as they often open up once food is in the water.

OP
OP
F

fancy_fish101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would mix it up- maybe every 3 days do one or the other dry or frozen. Again especially with the dry use a tiny amount and mix in water. I usually do a couple squirts on the coral and wait about 10 minutes and do a couple more. usually the second time they are more receptive to accepting food as they often open up once food is in the water.
Ok, cool. Would you suggest mixing the ab+ with the dry? My LFS said I could do that whenever I bought.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't use AB specifically but a few other things. I just try to use enough to soak the food. In your case I think you have pretty minimal coral at this point? If so I would use very very little of it.

OP
OP
F

fancy_fish101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't use AB specifically but a few other things. I just try to use enough to soak the food. In your case I think you have pretty minimal coral at this point? If so I would use very very little of it.
Sorry for late response. I have quit a few frags.
when I feed the mixture to them. When should I do it? During when light is on or when it is on the night mode?

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 44 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%
Back