Coralife Biocube 32 Gallons - Nano-tank, I guess. My story so far...

JulianHuntToronto

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, Julian from Toronto, Canada - I have been meaning to write up something regarding my new Biocube 32G that has now officially hit 5 months and 5 days since being setup.

I was invited to write something by Owner/Admin @revhtree to detail the process of setting up my new tank. At first I thought that mine really was not that interesting. As a preamble, I had a 100 gallon "reef" tank from 1996-2005. Yes, I am really dating myself there, I was presented with an aquarium by my ex as a birthday present and he said I could set it up anyway I wanted. So after being that "nerd" in boarding school in the UK as a child, and having filled our school lab with aquariums and vivariums full of everything from stick insects to endangered slow worms, newts to grass snakes etc, I decided I wanted to try my dab hand as a wildlife enthusiast to fish from the sea. Living in the UK I used to love going rock pooling on the beaches and seeing all the creatures captured therein that would change from tide to tide. Then I met the sea anemone. In Europe it was the Red Beadlet Anemone (Actinia equina))
Beadlet anemone ©marknthomasimages.co_.uk_.jpg

Much like the Pacific inter-tidal anemones on the coast of Vancouver and Oregon, they open when the ride is in then contract to their little balls of mucous above the tideline until they can open again. I thought this was just so amazing. Now, back in the early 90's the reefing hobby was still quite new. I was and still am still learning all about the "new" advances in reef aquatics. Back then in my 100, with a skimmer, I suppose it was more of a FOWLR tank then, no one had ever told me that I needed to do water changes. What, I had my tank for nearly 10 years, and I never did a water change! The fish were fine, I had a great Tang Gang, 2 clowns that always laid eggs - but my pride and joy was the Bubble Tip Anemone - Any coral I tried in the tank died within days- I was never told to test parameters. But as Ian Malcolm says in Jurassic Park, Life finds a way. And it did. The fish were ding great, the anemone flourished, I even had a whole Porites rock full of Christmas Tree Worms. Then when I moved to Vancouver I broke down my tank and gave it away to friends in the hobby.

Now, 15 years later I have my new Biocube 32 by Coralife. I think it is going to be too small, but when I got back into the hobby. in March 2020, I wanted something small and compact for the apartment.

OK from the start, I used dry-rock. Corallife salt, Hydor Korallia wavemakers with wifi, Cobalt heaters etc - spared no expense... (again Jurassic Park) -
dry tank.jpeg

clowns .jpeg

So all was testing fine, again spared no expense, bout everything Hanna.

So this is an image I found on here that I am reposting - par levels for the Biocube 32.
Par levels.jpg

Then after a month the dreaded green hair algae set in. This has been my major concern for the past few months. I have been treating it daily with rock scrubbing, changing filter floss daily, lowering the light duration and treating with Vibrant. Vibrant works, but not in the 2-4 weeks that they want you to believe, more like 8-9 weeks. But we are now down to this and I am managing algae with a few turbo snails, hermits, emeralds and some nerite snails.

As of this morning - the tank looks like this...
today.jpeg

Still fighting algae, but the rockflowers and the mini-maxi and Bra are doing well as are the Zoas, It is still in the ugly phase but slowly getting better. I am an anemone fan as you know if you have read this far and will be filling this up with mini max carpets, rockflowers, I will keep the BTA to the top if I can, but they are such amazing creatures. Ask me about my carnivorous plant greenhouse ;) porites.jpeg mackerl.jpeg

Fishbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful tank I really enjoy my Biocube 32! One thing regarding the par results you found online, it is completely false. Not sure where you got it but if you look on Coralife sheet for it the max par is like 89 right below the waterline. Personally I would upgrade the lights but it depends on what coral you want to keep in it. Just a thought, but the par is definitely not that high assuming you have the leds.

OP
OP
JulianHuntToronto

JulianHuntToronto

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful tank I really enjoy my Biocube 32! One thing regarding the par results you found online, it is completely false. Not sure where you got it but if you look on Coralife sheet for it the max par is like 89 right below the waterline. Personally I would upgrade the lights but it depends on what coral you want to keep in it. Just a thought, but the par is definitely not that high assuming you have the leds.

Thanks Fishbro, currently still settling in, thanks for the insight, yes I always wonder about things I do not do myself. It is going to be primarily an anemone tank. the 1 RBTA, right now also 3 RFA's and 3 Mini Max Carpets. I have seen threads about upping the lights as well as some saying to take off the lid and add something like an AI Prime... Thoughts?

Fishbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Fishbro, currently still settling in, thanks for the insight, yes I always wonder about things I do not do myself. It is going to be primarily an anemone tank. the 1 RBTA, right now also 3 RFA's and 3 Mini Max Carpets. I have seen threads about upping the lights as well as some saying to take off the lid and add something like an AI Prime... Thoughts?
There’s tons of options for upgrading the light. Some people just add some actinic strips inside the hood if you’re more of a DIY person then that could be a way to go. There’s also the option of going with something like Steve’s Leds which keeps the lid and adds a while new led array with a controller. There’s also rapid led and nanobox which is similar to Steve’s Leds. Personally on my Biocube I added a Radion g4 xr-15 and love it. I had to slightly modify the rim of the tank for it to fit but it works. If going with AI I would go for something like a hydra 26/32 as a Prime just doesn’t have enough spread. It’ll be easier and cheaper just to remove the lid and add a light like a radion/AI but of course you have to worry about evaporation more if you don’t have a lid. Mostly it’s about personal preference and budget. There’s also a ton of threads on here you could search and see what other people have done.

OP
OP
JulianHuntToronto

JulianHuntToronto

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s tons of options for upgrading the light. Some people just add some actinic strips inside the hood if you’re more of a DIY person then that could be a way to go. There’s also the option of going with something like Steve’s Leds which keeps the lid and adds a while new led array with a controller. There’s also rapid led and nanobox which is similar to Steve’s Leds. Personally on my Biocube I added a Radion g4 xr-15 and love it. I had to slightly modify the rim of the tank for it to fit but it works. If going with AI I would go for something like a hydra 26/32 as a Prime just doesn’t have enough spread. It’ll be easier and cheaper just to remove the lid and add a light like a radion/AI but of course you have to worry about evaporation more if you don’t have a lid. Mostly it’s about personal preference and budget. There’s also a ton of threads on here you could search and see what other people have done.
Happy Canada Day from us here in the North! I assume most ppl are from the USA on these threads.

I would love to see how you modified the tank, yes, one of the reasons I bought it, other than I do not have room for a 100 gallon in my apartment, was the all in one and the hood, which helps with evaporation. I am not so much of a DIY person but like easy installs and the LFS owner 5 mins away is a great resource as he is just down the street, so lucky to have one so close.

But I agree with you for practical reasons such as evaporation as well as realistic lights for the anemone tank. Though Rockflowers and mini carpets don't seem to need a lot of light as I feed them but the BTA might like more? Though, he has settled in the middle of the tank.

I have some high-end Zoanthids coming in, but again their light needs seem modest. IDK, do you think brighter lights are better for Zoas and softies such as the newly growing neon GSP back-wall?

Fishbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy Canada Day from us here in the North! I assume most ppl are from the USA on these threads.

I would love to see how you modified the tank, yes, one of the reasons I bought it, other than I do not have room for a 100 gallon in my apartment, was the all in one and the hood, which helps with evaporation. I am not so much of a DIY person but like easy installs and the LFS owner 5 mins away is a great resource as he is just down the street, so lucky to have one so close.

But I agree with you for practical reasons such as evaporation as well as realistic lights for the anemone tank. Though Rockflowers and mini carpets don't seem to need a lot of light as I feed them but the BTA might like more? Though, he has settled in the middle of the tank.

I have some high-end Zoanthids coming in, but again their light needs seem modest. IDK, do you think brighter lights are better for Zoas and softies such as the newly growing neon GSP back-wall?
I’m currently on a vacation but I’ll be back tomorrow and I can post some pics of the modifications. It’s not necessarily about the “brighter” lights, more about the spectrum and par they put out. I found the Biocube lights plenty bright, but the thing was my corals started losing their colors because of the weak par and general output of the leds. Since you’re going to want to run the stock leds at full intensity since you’ll want to maximize the par, the tank will have a very white look until dusk when it ramps down. The colors you see on the high end zoas are under blue lighting, not whites usually so those colors won’t pop unless you have lighting somewhere around the 14-20k spectrum. The Biocube lights can certainly throw softies and some LPS, but it won’t show colors nice their colors may even start to fade. Again, it’s about personal preference and there are tons of lighting options.

OP
OP
JulianHuntToronto

JulianHuntToronto

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the comments, I am actually biting all my nails and going to grab an AI Prime from the LFS today - as it is Canada Day the LFS has an offer for zero tax. Next will be the screen cover. I want the best - again "spared no expense" from Jurassic Park :) for my Zoas and anemones! Hope you had a great vacation.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 64 31.8%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 53 26.4%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 41 20.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 41 20.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back