Coraline Algae

ZachariahBeanz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I’ve heard some things about Coraline Algae. Is this stuff any good? I’m about to start up a tank and wanted to know if it’s worth buying a bottle of it.

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I’ve heard some things about Coraline Algae. Is this stuff any good? I’m about to start up a tank and wanted to know if it’s worth buying a bottle of it.
I hate the stuff but it’s pretty essential to a tanks health. That being said I would not buy any of the bottle BS. It will get introduced to your tank on rock, coral frags, etc. In a pinch even better than bottle nonsense would be ask a local store for some scrapings which they should give you for free if youre buying anything else.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
ZachariahBeanz

ZachariahBeanz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate the stuff but it’s pretty essential to a tanks health. That being said I would not buy any of the bottle BS. It will get introduced to your tank on rock, coral frags, etc. In a pinch even better than bottle nonsense would be ask a local store for some scrapings which they should give you for free if youre buying anything else.
Yeah, I’ve heard some people hate the stuff. Would you still recommend the scrapings from an LFS? Caroline algae just seems like it would help a bit with algae issue since I’m a new reefer.

Upvote 0

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you will get enough coraline to seed your tanks by buying coral with frag plugs at reputable lfs's.

I am also not a fan of liquid coraline additives, as i think its all marketing gimik, and will not speed up your coraline growth, as only time can do that when your tank is on its final legs at becoming mature.

Upvote 0

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there is no coralline algae on rocks, another algae will grow.
Coralline coverage is desirable for this reason.

yes but its not something u magically get by putting in a liquid seed.
Your tank still needs to be at the end of maturing out for coraline to grow.

I think the fastest ive seen coraline set was probably 2-3 months but that was with 100% liverock + 100% live sand.

Upvote 0

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
If there is no coralline algae on rocks, another algae will grow.
Coralline coverage is desirable for this reason.
until it starts growing on the edges/corners of your tank potentially compromising your seal :confused:

Upvote 0

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spend the money on a chunk of live rock with coralline on it and then you will get your moneys worth. What ever your tank may need is likely present on fresh ocean live rock. What you get from a bottle is not going to be the same unless you collect the bottle from off a submerged reef near the equator. Store shelves are dusty with dirt while reefs are dusted with plankton, microbes, “marine show” and plant and coral and fish propagules ( of many varieties) that have values that are helpful for keeping a captive reef tank.

Upvote 0

TheGrimReeferTx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, I agree with everyone here. I would say, save the cash it will happen naturally. Spend that on another coral instead :)

Upvote 0

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I’ve heard some people hate the stuff. Would you still recommend the scrapings from an LFS? Caroline algae just seems like it would help a bit with algae issue since I’m a new reefer.

While it does uptake some nutrients by far its most noticeable water chemistry effect is stripping calcium and alkalinity from the water. Get a scraping or pick up a single piece of live rock. Youre going to end up with it no matter what but you can speed the process up if you want. Just keep an eye on water chemistry once it starts to take off.

Upvote 0

Kfactor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i got lots in tank i have to keep scraping of the glass it grows fast but i cant keep corals alive for some reason lol

Upvote 0

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back