OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It won't be on the glass first. It covers plastic parts like powerheads first then rocks. Then glass.
I hear ya. But I have 3 very plastic, coralline attracting powerheads. Zero purple. :oops:

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had to totally rip clean a tank due to coralline growth. It seems to grow completely out of control in my tanks. Anytime I start a new tank, I use existing rock that's got my rock star strain on it.
Maybe a coralline algae business in your future. “Rock Star Strain”!$$$$$$$$$

Hypnotoad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have strong feelings about this.

I think coralline gets way too much credit for having anything to do with anything.

A few months back, I insta-tanked a 10 gallon in my basement guest room/WFH office with dry rock and a bag of Matrix from my sump. Added a bunch of frags day one and more since and everything is doing really well. If I had waited for coralline to tell me the tank was ready I’d still be waiting.

My main display has very little. I think the tiny starfish the hobby misidentifies as Asterinas are eating it because it only grows on the ends of my Vortech wet sides at this point, and that’s pretty much the only place the stars can’t get to.

Sometimes it bums me out, but it’s also nice to be able to clean the background and glass gently instead of aggressively.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is new. A year and a half old. 180g. And yes on purpleup and scrapings.
My tank is a year. I've had coraline on the powerheads for 4 months but only recently started spreading on the rocks as my parameters stabilized. I think you are right in the window of opportunity now with your larger tank. As others mentioned, calcium and magnesium along with good lights. I think you will purple up soon.

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really wish there was a way to irradiate coralline for good .

once upon a time at the beginning we all prey for one day to have a little .
Even better! A strain that would not attach to glass or plastic. :eek:

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is a year. I've had coraline on the powerheads for 4 months but only recently started spreading on the rocks as my parameters stabilized. I think you are right in the window of opportunity now with your larger tank. As others mentioned, calcium and magnesium along with good lights. I think you will purple up soon.
I hope you’re right. Have added coralline snail shells and chunks of live rock with it covering. We’ll see.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really wish there was a way to irradiate coralline for good .

once upon a time at the beginning we all prey for one day to have a little .
You can keep it down, under control? I use 2 urchins in my 120. Recently one died and its comming back quickly. Need to get another. If I waIt a week to clean the front glass their are dots of it everywhere.
Good encrusted live rock has always worked for me. That and water stability.

I recently set up a nano cube, its almost 8 weeks old now with quality live rock from my other systems. Coralline is already on the back and going strong.

It will grow in low light and high light and almost always on any plastic surface first.

This pic is 8 months in on my 120.
Urchins were added after this pic and they destroyed the bottom. Its comming back now that one is left.
20200214_191723.jpg

20211231_145737.jpg

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe a coralline algae business in your future. “Rock Star Strain”!$$$$$$$$$
Once I get the bigger tank up and running I may start shipping out vials of the "secret sauce", we'll see. I've given some to local reefers and they've had good success with it jamming their pumps and caking on equipment. BET YA WANT CORRALINE NOW EH?

Season 2 Shrug GIF by The Office

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once I get the bigger tank up and running I may start shipping out vials of the "secret sauce", we'll see. I've given some to local reefers and they've had good success with it jamming their pumps and caking on equipment. BET YA WANT CORRALINE NOW EH?

Season 2 Shrug GIF by The Office
Purple cake and jam is all I want!!! Lol

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It won't be on the glass first. It covers plastic parts like powerheads first then rocks. Then glass.
The odd thing about this is that a lot of people observe this. It’s like it loves black plastic…
I used to think it was just a contrast thing and black made it easier to see, but that’s not the case…
Agreed

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back