Coralline Algae or Cyanobacteria, Both or Neither?

RickLRMS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The photos are from my ten-month-active invertebrate quarantine tank. I've been assuming the dark red stuff on the rocks (and snail shells and return nozzle) is coralline algae; it's been increasing for awhile now. The pink stuff on the frag plug and the shell is new. Is the pink stuff cyano? Am I correct on the red stuff being coralline algae? I've started moving critters from my quarantine tank to my display tank and would rather not move anything evil. Thanks!

Question.jpg
Question2.jpg

LiveFreeAndReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pink is coralline, does the red feel soft or hard? May be cyano but usually it's not as patchy. Might be a red turf algae. If it is coralline, that deep red is awesome and I want some lol

Upvote 0
OP
OP
RickLRMS

RickLRMS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The red stuff is like a thin layer of tough rubber: you can poke it in but it has firm resistance. I have photos through a microscope below, plus I'll add some I took with my Nikon once I have a chance to transfer them from the camera.

Stuff from the rocks:

Rocks1.jpg
Rocks2.jpg

Stuff from the plug:

Plug1.jpg
Plug2.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
RickLRMS

RickLRMS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice pics that distinguish this from classic coralline algae.
may be decent match for peyssonnelia. (maybe)
Thanks for the reply. Most of the non-microscope photos I find of peyssonnelia show it having "free edges" lifted up from the rock. Mine doesn't really have that. In the bottom photo here:

https://www.marinelifephotography.com/marine/seaweeds/peyssonnelia.htm

it does look similar to the third photo on the site. I can't really make heads or tails out of the photos through a microscope.

Upvote 0

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had something like that during the ugly stage. I ended up thinking it was an encrusting sponge. It was dark red, tough, and kind of leathery. It only grew on rock pand the plastic onumps and overflows. It was photosynthetic. I added GFO to reduce free silicates and did a week long lights out. It went away but came back a little. Another round of GFO and lights out and it was gone and hasn't returned. It did seem like it grew more when the full spectrum lights were on. Running just the blues after the black-out the second time seems to have helped.

Upvote 0

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back