Red Turf algae battle

1fishkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been battling red turf algae for 6 plus month now. Everything I have tired so far really hasn’t put a dent in it. I read on here turbo snails will clear it out. No luck but they do keep it nice and trim down to a even size. Then I got a Blue pin cushion urchin. He mows it down to nothing but in a matter of days where he ate it it’s back. I’m now starting to debate on a chemical route or maybe a algae scrubber. My question with the scrubber is will it just get over grown with red turf or will the green hair out complete it? Others have also said reef flux and vibrant will do it. I’m about at my wits end because it has over grown most of my corals and killed off a bunch. So what does everyone that has had it done to remove it?

OP
OP
1fishkeeper

1fishkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg
image.jpg

2una

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's this one i can report Vibrant did nothing to it over several months of dosing (2 large bottles in a 160G)

RAlgae3.JPG

I don't think the "Intricata" part of the name for that one is actually correct.
Peroxide out of tank was the most luck i had with it.
I have a couple of rocks that had it on that i threw in my unlit sump & that curse algae is still somewhat on months later. Its a tough customer

OP
OP
1fishkeeper

1fishkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's this one i can report Vibrant did nothing to it over several months of dosing (2 large bottles in a 160G)

RAlgae3.JPG

I don't think the "Intricata" part of the name for that one is actually correct.
Peroxide out of tank was the most luck i had with it.
I have a couple of rocks that had it on that i threw in my unlit sump & that curse algae is still somewhat on months later. Its a tough customer
I’m seeing that it’s one tough no-fo. So pull the rock and spray peroxide on it?

2una

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m seeing that it’s one tough no-fo. So pull the rock and spray peroxide on it?

That seemed to do the trick if getting it out of the tank is possible.
I've hit it before with some kalk paste on a colony it was growing on & seen it bounce back from that.
So far i don't see it growing back on what i hit with peroxide.

xabo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
May be helpful as I just battled this monster.

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two things will help the most. Banded trochus snails, and a UV sterilizer. That’s how I beat it in my tank after a year long battle. The UV helps the most

OP
OP
1fishkeeper

1fishkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May be helpful as I just battled this monster.

I done everything from the first thread you posted. That is where I got most of my ideas to try to beat it from.

Last edited:

xabo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What worked for me was the cordless drill w/wire brush. Added some Turbo and Ninja Star snails.........so far so good.

Hugster78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tried all the snails. Hydrogen peroxide works. But it grows back quickly. Hot water and turkey baster works instantly. It always come back though.

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am battling it myself, nothing is working for me tried vibrant, flucanzole, turbo snails etc… simply taking out the rocks or rebooting the tank is not an option. I also run a ULN system. It amazes me that not many people encounter it (might be wrong) and how much the results vary from one person to another.

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A double dose of fluconazole took it out for me, along with about six other types of algae. It took about four weeks. The Valonia is still hanging on but less everyday.

Hugster78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am battling it myself, nothing is working for me tried vibrant, flucanzole, turbo snails etc… simply taking out the rocks or rebooting the tank is not an option. I also run a ULN system. It amazes me that not many people encounter it (might be wrong) and how much the results vary from one person to another.
Both my LFS have it. I believe more people have it. They just don’t talk about it. It’s been in my tank for the last 5 years.

OP
OP
1fishkeeper

1fishkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both my LFS have it. I believe more people have it. They just don’t talk about it. It’s been in my tank for the last 5 years.
I’m right there with you. I think more people have it but it is in the back where they can’t see it and it hasn’t exploded and taken off.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have to give so cool hyped up name like Red Ironman fuzzy or something like that.
I would like a clump of it but it might not survive the mail in the current weather.

Hugster78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m right there with you. I think more people have it but it is in the back where they can’t see it and it hasn’t exploded and taken off.
If it’s not red turf it’s something else “vermitted” nuisance in these reefs I swear

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 37 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back