The red turf algae battle

xabo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Trying a aggressive approach. This piece was completely covered with RTA. Used a cordless drill with a wire brush:
20210930_120757.jpg

Rinse with tank water and placed back into tank:
20210930_122128.jpg

These two pieces were treated with 35% peroxide a few weeks ago but it appears that something's coming back:
20210930_122216.jpg

20210930_122235.jpg

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
stuff is powerful agreed. well anchored, margarita snails have helped as growback preventative in some cases as well when the mass is kept low like above, looks great

xabo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
stuff is powerful agreed. well anchored, margarita snails have helped as growback preventative in some cases as well when the mass is kept low like above, looks great
Hoping that the Turbos and Urchins will keep it in check.

xabo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Something I discovered by accident.........had a container of salt sitting atop of the tank and somehow it overturned dumping the salt into the tank. Next day I noticed that on the rock with patches of algae, the algae had turned an orange-brownish color. Over the next couple of days the algae had died and the snails took care of the rest.

Emerson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Emerson

Did you keep up the full dose treatment for the entire time?

Right around the two week mark I started to see a noted impact on corals.

I happened to frag a zoa colony and afterwards it started getting some sort of bacterial build up on polyps.

Some sps polyp extension started to lessen also.

I threw in carbon and quit all extra dosing at this point.

That was with continuing 10ml/day of clean plus 5ml razor. 65g tank.

I saw no impact on the algae over those two weeks. Planned to run it long term but I think the extra bacteria load was causing issues on coral weakened from fragging.
Sorry for the late answer.

I followed the instructions exactly as on the package which ramp up over the treatment period of 14 days. I also kept a filter sock running the entire time, and had to change out every 1-2 days filled with red/pink material. Ran skimmer entire time. Stopped using carbon while dosing.

Once I got to the end of the two week period the RTA was all but gone. I still dose MicroBacter Clean weekly at 20 ml/25 gal. I have had no RTA in my tank since then, ~ Dec 2019.

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so has anyone found a solution to this ?
my snails only mow it down .
a peroxide dip or using a cordless drill isn't an option .

Will_WhatIsThis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so has anyone found a solution to this ?
my snails only mow it down .
a peroxide dip or using a cordless drill isn't an option .
Once I added a bunch of hermits all of mine slowly went away. I can’t prove it was the hermits but my rocks used to be covered and now there’s none so I think the answer is lots of hermits. I used red legs and I think white claw hermits

Hugster78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once I added a bunch of hermits all of mine slowly went away. I can’t prove it was the hermits but my rocks used to be covered and now there’s none so I think the answer is lots of hermits. I used red legs and I think white claw hermits
I have red scarlets and they don’t touch it. I gave up the battle and just enjoy my reef.

rc1626

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates? Just received the the Razor and Microbactor Clean today. I will start the regimine tomorrow. Hoping for good things.

rc1626

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm holding off at the moment due to a surge in brown algae on my sand bed and some cyano. Not sure if the brown is diatoms or dinos. I've been dosing algaefix marine for the past few weeks and im not sure but i think it messed up my tanks equilibrium. Just hit it with Chemiclean. After 48hrs. will do 20% water change then will do a 15% blue light only while dosing some hydrogen peroxide(night) and MB7(day) for next 5 days. That cured me of this the last time it happened. From there I will reassess and see if i want to move forward with the Razor and Clean. All sps, nems, maxima clam and lps are looking fine at the moment.

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm holding off at the moment due to a surge in brown algae on my sand bed and some cyano. Not sure if the brown is diatoms or dinos. I've been dosing algaefix marine for the past few weeks and im not sure but i think it messed up my tanks equilibrium. Just hit it with Chemiclean. After 48hrs. will do 20% water change then will do a 15% blue light only while dosing some hydrogen peroxide(night) and MB7(day) for next 5 days. That cured me of this the last time it happened. From there I will reassess and see if i want to move forward with the Razor and Clean. All sps, nems, maxima clam and lps are looking fine at the moment.
Sorry that you are running through these issues. However, don’t you think that you are dosing way too many chemicals to your tank that could potentially stress everything out? Not to mention that you will also be dosing the razor and clean in the near future.

rc1626

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry that you are running through these issues. However, don’t you think that you are dosing way too many chemicals to your tank that could potentially stress everything out? Not to mention that you will also be dosing the razor and clean in the near future.
Good thought but Razor and clean are on hold for the near future. This other method of peroxide, MB7 and adjusting lights worked very well for me about a year ago (for dinos, not turf). I didn't have all that much red turf back then. If I do the Razor and Clean it will depend on where the tank is at in the next month or two with the red turf after everything settles out.
Which I'm assuming is turf. It's almost velvety to the touch.

1642451257336415564312755059392.jpg

Last edited:

carmodpg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just upgraded and used some rocks from old tank where I had gotten my turf algae problem largely under control. I have noticed some small spots of red turf popping up in the new tank. Obviously, knowing what I know now, I have been aggressive in ensuring it doesn’t grow out of control like it did before (including growing on my sticks and irritating them).

Therefore, I have gone to the method which worked for me (with smaller spots in the past), Aiptasia-X. For smaller, newer spots, 1 treatment usually works. For older spots, it’ll take a couple. I usually try to hit it multiple days in a row. If I notice the color change immediately, I will hit it again in the same day because my belief is that it’s weaker so hit it while it’s hurting. I fully cover it work Aiptasia-X.

Further as has been documented above, I have noticed my turbos and crabs normally go to the area I just treated quickly and start chipping away at what is left.

I think the main take away for those who aren’t struggling with a massive outbreak is to intervene asap to ensure it doesn’t spread.

For those with major outbreaks, it takes (IMO) covering with Aiptasia-X (or other solutions people have found that work), scrapping it once it changes color, and a some good old turbos and crabs.

LOVEROCK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying a aggressive approach. This piece was completely covered with RTA. Used a cordless drill with a wire brush:
20210930_120757.jpg

Rinse with tank water and placed back into tank:
20210930_122128.jpg

These two pieces were treated with 35% peroxide a few weeks ago but it appears that something's coming back:
20210930_122216.jpg

20210930_122235.jpg
any links to a wire brush that can attach to a drill? not so tool savy !

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back