The red turf algae battle

xCry0x

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wanted to post about this in the event others start looking for ways to battle this crap -- I found it hard to find a lot of meaningful content anywhere.

What my rock work looks like:
koeBXTQl.jpg

My tank is more or less completely overrun with red turf algae. I have always operated under the assumption that algae = nutrients and that you can beat back algae by aggressive nutrient export.

As such, I have run GFO forever and was always diligent to not feed in excess.

That didn't solve anything.

My water was nutrient stripped; ~0.03 po4 and salifert nitrate test would always return without any coloration.

I used a full bottle of Vibrant in an effort to knock out the red turf as well as eliminate bubble algae. The Vibrant knocked out the bubble algae but didn't do anything at all to the red turf.

Now I know people always like to say, "Oh your nutrients test low because the algae consumes it." Say what you want - but I could easily go over a month without cleaning my glass. SPS coloration was muted; my zoas completely stopped growing, my gonipora died and my acan was receding/dying. My tank was nutrient starved and the algae didn't care.

I have an army of trochus snails, hermit crabs and 2 huge turbos in my 65g tank. They kept the algae trimmed as you can see in the picture, but never fully removed it.

I read a few times that the best way to fight it back was with urchins, however, I also read people insist turbos would strip it from the rocks as well and that has not been the case with me. I had nothing to lose though, so this past weekend I bought two tuxedo urchins.

It looks like what people said was true - one of them got right to down and is making progress ripping out patches of the algae.

IEvlQ6Dl.jpg

That is another angle of the same rock from the first picture - all the bald spots are where the urchin has been eating away over the past few days.

I understand that the urchins don't get into all the nooks in the rock work - but if the two of them can make progress like that, I am hoping it cuts back the algae enough that the snails become more aggressive at stripping the algae instead of just trimming.

Hopefully they continue and things start to look better over the next few weeks!

greg 45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just went through the same issue with the dreaded red slime. I followed advice and added biodigest to add some good bacteria to the system. As you stated snails do nothing to help for my system . I did purchase some short spine urchins. They eat almost whatever is in there path. They aren't stripping the coralline algae as most state they do. The other thing I notice the urchins aren't leaving a poop trail when they eat like snail do.

Tallison

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a similar issue a couple weeks back. I bought at least 7 Mexican turbos 5 Margaritas and 5 red legged hermits and it was gone in a week and hasn't came back since

OP
OP
X

xCry0x

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get 6 hungry Mexican turbo snails, it'll be gone in 2 weeks.

How big of a tank? I had 2, added 2 more to have 4 turbos plus a giant breeding population of trochus snails - they keep it trimmed but generally leave a nice course velvet over everything. The urchin is the first for me to eat it down to the rock - maybe they are different strains of turf?

I just went through the same issue with the dreaded red slime. I followed advice and added biodigest to add some good bacteria to the system. As you stated snails do nothing to help for my system . I did purchase some short spine urchins. They eat almost whatever is in there path. They aren't stripping the coralline algae as most state they do. The other thing I notice the urchins aren't leaving a poop trail when they eat like snail do.

Red slime is generally another name for cyano -- which is completely different.

My understanding is the urchins eat coralline if nothing else is left.

Funny enough, I had a tuxedo urchin for years in my nano prior to upgrading to my larger tank. The urchin was the only thing that didn't survive the move -- probably because I didn't acclimate it at all I just threw it in the new tank. Within months the new tank was blowing up with the red turf. It makes me wonder if I had it all along but the urchin in the smaller tank kept it in check.

OP
OP
X

xCry0x

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Close up of what it looks like -- it is a super dense red mat of algae. It looks like wine colored velvet.

zDUH2EDl.jpg

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big of a tank? I had 2, added 2 more to have 4 turbos plus a giant breeding population of trochus snails - they keep it trimmed but generally leave a nice course velvet over everything. The urchin is the first for me to eat it down to the rock - maybe they are different strains of turf?

Red slime is generally another name for cyano -- which is completely different.

My understanding is the urchins eat coralline if nothing else is left.

Funny enough, I had a tuxedo urchin for years in my nano prior to upgrading to my larger tank. The urchin was the only thing that didn't survive the move -- probably because I didn't acclimate it at all I just threw it in the new tank. Within months the new tank was blowing up with the red turf. It makes me wonder if I had it all along but the urchin in the smaller tank kept it in check.
215 gallons. My mat was just as thick in some areas of the tank but most areas were thinner.

OP
OP
X

xCry0x

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Intesting how experiences vary then. I have had 2 golf ball sized turbos for a while and they haven't put much of a dent in it. A few weeks ago I added 2 more still noticed no difference.

Added the two urchins on Saturday and at least one of them is making a visible dent in it -- the other appears to be working on the back side of some of the rocks so I can't get a good view of what it has done.

I am hoping that as the urchins strip it off the rocks, the other snails will have less to eat and will become more aggressive in stripping it too instead of just lightly grazing off the top =)

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Intesting how experiences vary then. I have had 2 golf ball sized turbos for a while and they haven't put much of a dent in it. A few weeks ago I added 2 more still noticed no difference.

Added the two urchins on Saturday and at least one of them is making a visible dent in it -- the other appears to be working on the back side of some of the rocks so I can't get a good view of what it has done.

I am hoping that as the urchins strip it off the rocks, the other snails will have less to eat and will become more aggressive in stripping it too instead of just lightly grazing off the top =)
Mexican turbos? Or zebra turbos?

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mexican turbos.
Interesting indeed. I remember my LFS saying that there are a handful of similar types of snails all sold as Mexican turbos. I wonder if maybe I have a variety that loves them and you are ending up with one that doesn't? Or perhaps your red turf algae may be a different variety?

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had it only grow on 2 rocks I received from a really really nutrient rich tank (to put it nicely). The rocks looked clean until they get in the very nice water of my tank and stuff started popping up on them. I ended up tossing those rocks, but I still have it here and there. I had some that was fluffy, short but thick along with the creeping variety that grew longer grass like leaves. I have 2 mexican turbos who could be keeping it in check, but something that works wonders is spot treating w/ peroxide. I use the 1ml syringe that comes with salifert kits and will put 1ml on a 2' diameter area, and within a few days it turns orange and goes away. I was spot treating enough to add 30ml in a 60g system and that might have been enough to pale out my acros. at smaller amounts, 3-4 ml a day, there was no effect on anything other than the spot treated.

So maybe try this in areas the urchins cannot get to.

OP
OP
X

xCry0x

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup - when I started reading about methods of getting rid of it that didn't involve low nutrients, turbo snails were one of the first things I read. Went for them initially because I had them before when my tank was new and had hair algae issues and they worked great.

Not so much for this though.

That urchin in the pictures is doing work - keeps moving and leaving bald spots behind.

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ditto on the cuc

i'm battling red turf as well, i can't scientifically vouch for this but i think it's like cyano in that can thrive with zero nitrates when scant amounts of phosphates are present (I know that cyano and certain algae can pull N from other sources when NO3 isn't present out-competing corals ) . That's why i have decided to focus more on healthy corals as a means to battle nuisance algae/bacteria and since my no3 has risen, cyano is virtually gone and red turf is thinning. in addition adding astrea snails and an emerald crab that appear to mow my red lawn, I added a coral beauty dwarf angel that picks at it all day.

i didn't have turd when i had a turbo - but i can't bring myself to replace it, as I would need to go back in and expoxy my rocks together - those suckers are like bull dozers when they eat

OP
OP
X

xCry0x

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ditto on the cuc

i'm battling red turf as well, i can't scientifically vouch for this but i think it's like cyano in that can thrive with zero nitrates when scant amounts of phosphates are present (I know that cyano and certain algae can pull N from other sources when NO3 isn't present out-competing corals ) . That's why i have decided to focus more on healthy corals as a means to battle nuisance algae/bacteria and since my no3 has risen, cyano is virtually gone and red turf is thinning. in addition adding astrea snails and an emerald crab that appear to mow my red lawn, I added a coral beauty dwarf angel that picks at it all day.

i didn't have turd when i had a turbo - but i can't bring myself to replace it, as I would need to go back in and expoxy my rocks together - those suckers are like bull dozers when they eat

Yea - I actually just started raising my nutrients also. Doing a VERY mild dose of potassium nitrate + liberal use of acropower and reef roids.

I spent the past year thinking I had to keep 0 nutrients to get this crap to go away - so figured f' it might as well at least make my coral happy since the nutrient export didn't do anything. =)

OP
OP
X

xCry0x

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update - the urchins are making progress -- slow progress but progress. Every morning there is another smallish area that is more or less cleared off.

The idea that they only eat coralline algae when there is no other algae is a myth though. One of them spent the night on my back glass and removed about 2 square inches of coralline -- which I don't care about, but thought it was interesting given that there is PLENTY of red algae to eat.

OP
OP
X

xCry0x

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another update - progress has stalled. Urchins and turbos all alive and eating away but the urchins keep getting distracted with the coralline.

Since I quit using GFO I converted my phosban 150 into a chaeto reactor. That was about two weeks ago.

Nitrates checking out at a consistent 2.5 - phosphates checking around 15-18 on the Hannah ULR phosphorous checker.

Chaeto is growing fairly fast - will have to probably dump some next weekend.

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, I had green turf algae. Dosed fluconazole per instruction and it was gone and never came back.

OP
OP
X

xCry0x

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It isn't supposed to have any effect on red algae. I may try it anyway just because there seems to be no negative aspect of it.

However - I am on sort of a multi-month reef roller coaster right now and need to stop touching things. It is giving me a headache.

Was running heavy GFO and stripping nutrients like crazy for past few years- 0 nitrate, 3-4 phosphorous on Hanna.

Then realized that was bad and modern thinking seems to be that you should keep some trace amounts of nitrate to get better coloration. Took GFO offline - phosphate has been slightly higher but maybe 0.04 instead of 0.03 (error margins on hanna make it hard to say). Nitrates started creeping up to and have been consistent at 2.5

During that period I also started having stress signs in coral - I lost essentially my entire starburst monti in a few days and a trumpet coral I have had for 4-5 years started losing tissue. I believe the issue was that my refractometer had gotten off due to bad calibration fluid.

Either way, everything is stable again:

Salinity at 35ppt
Alk 8.5 (Dose 6x a day)
Ca 420
MG 1300
N 2.5
P 0.04 (ish)

Temp maintained at 80-81* - have a chiller.

SPS all seem semi ticked still, but I'd assume it takes a bit of time for everything to get back to happy places. And that stupid red turf is still giving me the finger :mad:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 78 86.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back