The red turf algae battle

Heabel7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Struggling with this again myself. First round Mexican turbos ate away. This time they are not touching it and I cannot buy new ones because they are out of stock everywhere. Maybe microbacter is my next go too.

TankYou

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a similar battle a few years ago, a scribbled rabbit fish knocked dense red turf algae out and it has never came back.

1602338500128.jpeg

raultsu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you give a quick run down on how you dosed?

Anecdotal, but I fought red turf algae for months. I tried scrubbing, pulling, nothing helped. I'm not much for snake oils, but I used Brightwell Aquatics Razor concurrently with MicroBacter Clean (check their website). You build up dosing, adding a little more each day over a 10-14 day period. Within three weeks of starting I had zero red turf algae. I found using a filter sock helped as the algae broke down. No losses of coral, fish, or invertebrates. I dose the MicroBacter Clean weekly, and it has kept any algae in check.

Cal_stir

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys!
Lunella Coronata and ninja star snails will eat all the red turf in a week or two. I had a real severe growt of red turf in my 200 gallon tank. I've got 10 Lunella Coronata and they eat it all in 10 days. All gone for 2 years now
Could you tell where you got the snails please.

carmodpg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you tell where you got the snails please.
Live aquaira has them. Most other online vendors will as well. The common names used for those are the turban snail (although I didnt have much success with them) and spiny star astraea.

Javier Rivera

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I nuked my rocks in hydrogen peroxide and then bleach for weeks then I cured them with one and only and after one month back in my tank the RTA is coming back, I’m about to give up! I will give brightwell a try.

raultsu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been using kalk paste. I basically cover the affected areas and let the paste sit there for 10 minutes then I siphon the paste out. It seems to turn the algae white then it dies. Before and after shots.
3E8A31F2-2729-478C-804E-C112DE65DE9E.jpeg
AA039D6D-2C8E-4E9E-ADEE-1CC1FAF98263.jpeg

Last edited:

Javier Rivera

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nuked my tank with caustic soda and did a re-start. Do sussspect the red turf terror is on its way back... If so, it spreads by spores. If it didn't manage to survive the soda bath?
PSX_20190122_193914.jpg
I took all my rocks out and nuke them with 50 bottles of hydrogen peroxide for a month and it kill all the bristle worms and the red turf too, but now after another month in the tank is coming back!

Hugster78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took all my rocks out and nuke them with 50 bottles of hydrogen peroxide for a month and it kill all the bristle worms and the red turf too, but now after another month in the tank is coming back!
Dealing with this crap now. Anyone get a sure fix yet???

OP
OP
X

xCry0x

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol - I did the same thing as Javier and had the same outcome.

I put my rocks in an acid bath.

Everything was fine for a while, then after the tank re-stablized and matured again since I effectively killed all my live rock -- back came the red turf.

My experience is that none of my snails really eat it -- its always there. I had up to 6 turbos in my tank and they let it grow back.

Emerson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out my Oct 2020 Post on the previous page also, but a little more detail:

I can't say it's a sure fix, but this solved my Red Turf Algae (RTA) problem.

I was overrun by RTA. What started as a small "interesting" patch went on to cover most of my rock over a period of months. In my research on how to fight it, I ended up talking to Dr Jack Kent (founder/President of Kent Marine and the founder/CEO of Brightwell Aquatics/Continuum Aquatics. I had submitted several questions through the Brightwell Aquatics website asking about MicroBacter Clean and Razor products along with my contact information. Dr Kent actually took the time and personally called me. We had a 30+ minute discussion; understandably he wouldn't tell me all the company's "secret" details and he couldn't guarantee it specifically for Red Turf Algae (RTA). He explained how he thought it would work, and how he would use it. All that to say he recommended Brightwell Razor in conjunction with Brightwell MicroBacter Clean. He also suggested "painting" the algae affected areas with Razor with a brush directly on the algae if possible. It wasn't practical in my case, so to start with, I mixed the dose with some tank water and used a turkey baster with powerheads and return off so as to get the Razor good and on. While doing this, I ran filter socks (filled with red something) that I cleaned and changed out ever one or two days. I was also (and still do) running UV. Read the instructions for dosing and how long it takes, but I used the Razor and MB Clean regimen for about four weeks. I noticed it working at about the 7 day point. The RTA gradually receded and disappeared to almost nothing within 3 weeks, and at the 1 month point it was completely gone! I've stated before, I'm not a snake oil guy, but this stuff worked for me. I had no fish/coral mortalities or stresses. I have only used the Razor a few times since then, when I had some algae start to beat me. I still dose MicroBacter Clean weekly two years later as part of my regimen. I can definitely tell if I skip a week or two.

The way Dr Kent explained it to me was this: the Razor "loosens" the algae making it sort of slough off, and making it easier for the bacteria in the MB Clean do their thing. The MicroBacter Clean contains a "proprietary" mix of bacteria that don't replicate in the aquarium (unlike MicroBacter 7 bacteria which set up the Nitrogen Cycle), but while they are alive consume/fight/win against what we consider bad algaes and bacteria (red turf, cyano, diatoms, etc. (don't quote me on the specific varieties). Because they don't effectively replicate, I add the dose of MB Clean weekly to keep their numbers up.

All this is going on at the microscopic level in a virtual Bacteria and Algae Battle Royale, so it could be like the "Sea Monkeys" they used to sell in the comic books. They probably don't have castles and crowns, but what I can say, is this: it worked for me, and I'm a believer. As with most things, if you're overrun with RTA, it took a while to get there. It will take a while to get out. For me, there was no scrubbing or pulling. Run a filter sock(s) while you're dosing this if you can. Consider running UV, and maybe up your water change regimen for the time you're dosing Razor. Links to product description below, as well as a filtered photo of my tank from a couple months ago. I regret I didn't take "before" pictures, it was just so ugly... Imagine 80% of the rock covered in RTA, but now not a shred of that stuff in sight. Follow the recommended instructions for dosing amounts. Consider adding the recommended maintenance dose of MB Clean as part of your regimen after you win your battle.

I have also found that urchins will sometimes eat RTA off my powerheads and back glass if it develops at all.

Good luck!

20210109_183102.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
X

xCry0x

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I could give multiple thumbs up I would.

I actually completely lost track of this thread after I started it in 2018.

Eager to give this a try - especially given all the research you did on this.

Will likely order the items then give it a go starting in a few weeks.

Excited to see what it does. I was super disappointed when the stuff started growing back after I went completely nuclear on my tank.

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had this stuff for a long long time, then broke down my tank for a move, took longer than I thought to set back up my main tank so most of my rock stayed in a 20g long with a 20g long sump for about 6 months and my nitrates went up pretty high (~20ish) and all my RTA died. its been about a year and a half and I can find a little stand here or there in the tank but doesn't seem to be spreading. I would really have to get close and look if I can find it.

fingers crossed.

OP
OP
X

xCry0x

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ordered the two products. Going to be tied up the next few weeks so will probably start the process in ~2 weeks.

Interested to see how it goes.

I will say, my snails/etc do EAT the algae. But they have always failed to really remove it. The algae ends up spreading like a well mowed lawn.

So I'm jealous of the people who simply had snails that fully ate it off the rockwork.

Emerson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ordered the two products. Going to be tied up the next few weeks so will probably start the process in ~2 weeks.

Interested to see how it goes.

I will say, my snails/etc do EAT the algae. But they have always failed to really remove it. The algae ends up spreading like a well mowed lawn.

So I'm jealous of the people who simply had snails that fully ate it off the rockwork.
Good luck! Please come back and post when you're done. Also, would be interested to see before and after pictures if you can stand to post them.

OP
OP
X

xCry0x

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will get some photos uploaded later, but I started the process on this 2 days ago. Will update as things progress.

ggNoRe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got this stuff too:

But I'm starting to have pretty good success getting rid of it. Turned off all my red green and white lights so only running blues. Bought a crapload of snails. Half the turbos I got died the other half is working slowly. Have had the best luck with big trochus and astreas. I also am stripping the tank if all nutrients. Filter floss, filter socks, strong skimming, and carbon. On top of that I regularly take the silencers of my overflow and toothbrush my rocks and blast them with a turkey baster.

Doing all this about 50% is gone. Got another giant army of snails otw from reefcleaners. Hoping that will help me beat the rest.

MBruun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had my entire aquascape completely covered in different kind of turf algeas, bryopsis and GHA, the turf algeas for more than 7 months, and now i've had 4 months with less than 1% :) in a RS reefer 750.
Having a large box of algeas in the livingroom for many months takes a very patience wife ...
My aquascape is very porous 100% ceramic also covering the backwall, the bottom, meaning the algeas had a very good grip.
I tried Vibrant, the combination of Brightwell, fish, snails urchins, siphon and brushing, everything recommended, but the algeas was like a self-fuling machine.

What maked it for me, and I'm aware that every tank is different, was heavy dosing of live phyto (ramping up to 650ml pr day on a 680 liter system) and using phosphate remover, having P almost 0 for a while - and I'm still dosing phyto, but a little less.
The phyto are super efficient nutrient remover, but it required heavy skimming (empty skimmer every day) and a lot of filtersock cleaning to out compete and remove the turf algeas.
Remember good things happen over time, bad things happen over night - it takes long time to remove what have been build up over long time

Good luck getting gid of turf algeas.

OP
OP
X

xCry0x

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck! Please come back and post when you're done. Also, would be interested to see before and after pictures if you can stand to post them.
@Emerson

Did you keep up the full dose treatment for the entire time?

Right around the two week mark I started to see a noted impact on corals.

I happened to frag a zoa colony and afterwards it started getting some sort of bacterial build up on polyps.

Some sps polyp extension started to lessen also.

I threw in carbon and quit all extra dosing at this point.

That was with continuing 10ml/day of clean plus 5ml razor. 65g tank.

I saw no impact on the algae over those two weeks. Planned to run it long term but I think the extra bacteria load was causing issues on coral weakened from fragging.

Back