Algae Identification

Gator_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we sure have used this work example a lot lately :) hows updates
Looking good, clean rocks and 100% algae free still.

Corals still look a little irritated but unsure if related to the cleaning job. Im hopeful they’ll get better PE as they get settled in.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok perfect sounds great, they should emerge stronger than normal based on prior patterns, you were able to lower light intensity a bit down from norm is that right

Gator_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok perfect sounds great, they should emerge stronger than normal based on prior patterns, you were able to lower light intensity a bit down from norm is that right
Yes, took it down to 20% for several days, from previous 45% intensity

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Team

Look at Gator's rocks, for a monthslong outcome track as of July 2021

rip cleans are powerful tools to undo reef tank eutrophication.

Last edited:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use this thread to show others the power of rip cleaning but at 5 pages we want to only feature the best of the best here

we dont want a ten page thread it scares off new readers, even 5 pages is pushing it.

not halfway cleans, true rip cleans from someone so resolved they're not playing around, and last nite another was made here

thats a flagship example of kicking cyano out with the dishwater. well done

UKR33f3r

Frostynipps

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is standard eutrophication you'd be amazed at what test rocks, and some peroxide detailing would do for the rocks above. the sandbed having its waste removed, removes the cause too/resets your params back to what the bag of salt you use would be. here's work examples:

if you apply whats in that thread, you have no more algae. Resist the temptation to dose stuff to the water :) and begin the one thing missing this whole time: surgical disallowance of the target and not storing up detritus in rocks, and on sand. Dont think this has to do with params, uglies, or anything else. its pure allowance caused, and pure disallowance fixed. every inkling will drive you away from actual work, and into more waiting plus adjusting something, but that wont do

the opening line above is that fully invaded reefs are a matter of choice, not biology. lets test that tenet

unchoose this/easy. getting clean is just about resolve

the prevention of growback is all the detail steps and param changes and clean up crew balancing etc.

do not use fluconazole here, it will rob you of your will.
"do not use fluconazole here, it will rob you of your will." what do you mean?

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frosty it means dosing fluconazole is the opposite of the dedicated work we do here, we are removing waste which is often a causative of plant invasions. Dosing fluc adds to the waste mass by killing plants that are left to degrade in rocks and sand. There are some exceptional jobs I would endorse use of fluconazole such as the 17 thousand gallon home reef, imagine rip cleaning that lol. for this thread we will never see fluconazole applied to the before rip clean condition. If someone wants to use it as growback prevention, in a rip cleaned reef, that’s fine.

When someone does a rip clean once they never forget how well it works, they have a new ability, a new will to command the tank as a whole vs just buy things and add to the water and hope/cross fingers and wait. Here in this thread, tanks have been commanded to comply, they’re not coaxed or asked to.

Shadow_k

You have created a complete rip clean guide start to finish, and your after pic is 1000% clean, zero cloud skip cycle reassembly we'd like to feature your recent rip clean done in chat here, well done.

you absolutely did not hesitate to rinse effectively, you used no bottled bacteria in your rip clean after assembly, a perfect skip cycle was earned here and if others copy your work their reef cleaning will go smoothly.

This thread is for the best of the best; we want one simple read, in this case a mere five pages so that anyone wanting to run a rip clean can have a guide that matches multiple tank presentations. Yours is another control against cyano and maybe dinos mixed in...not sure but the matted growth shows the hallmarks of both. We dont focus much on identification here because identifying the organism isn't going to alter our course of action, all rip cleans run the same way.

JBJ 20 gallon AIO dealing with a bad cyano/Dino back and forth for 4 months.I’ve tried chemicals, natural ways could not get rid of it.

008582E1-DD1E-4558-AC3A-84DED8ED0AA2.jpeg.jpg

here is my journey for my easy rip clean

BB47DFF9-9F28-4206-BEE1-CAB45E3C462B.jpeg.jpg

Draining the tank after removing all the inverts , fish and corals.

F3493AF5-63AB-4A00-A986-84854C306E34.jpeg.jpg

Put my rocks in a bucket to swish around/scrub I did not take a picture of the scrubbing of the rock.

C8D10C76-4D33-4366-8295-4E74A652025F.jpeg.jpg

tank cleaned out and rinsed with RODI water

20210919_103323.jpg

Now I tackled the sand this is My sand after 1 rinse

20210919_103252.jpg

rinse number 75 and yes I counted haha :)
24574CAC-2F97-4D1A-92CB-58D2F77CFA4D.jpeg.jpg

Rinse 120 crystal clear water mixed it with my hand and water stayed clear.

E5D34171-C11E-4029-9DD3-D6AE337C4B1D.jpeg.jpg

My camera doesn’t do this tank justice it’s crystal clear !

(adding in an all white shot, the most revealing shot in reefing, hides nothing, shows complete skip cycle clarity here)

A7787470-5443-4C3D-8A08-55F583A91010.jpeg.jpg

Last edited:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shadow’s reef prognosis is this:

90% chance the sandbed issues stay gone a long time, 10% chance they come back and topical light hand guiding is needed. Typical algae and at times cyano might attach to rocks, they’re new and working on taking on coralline so that’s expected. But as of now, future gardening jobs here will not send cloud and waste flying around the tank, being rip cleaned means expected future hand guiding runs smoother. A new rip clean has been added above in our ultra exclusive cherry picked rip clean work thread. If I’m adding a work example to this particular thread it’s because they did exceptional work. Shadow has for the first time counted the number of rinses it takes a common sandbed to become compliant. 120 rinses? I wish I had a way to move that to page one first read lol even though this isn’t my thread. 120 rinses is dedication, that’s specifically what I’m talking about regarding human resolve, that's complete command with procedural steps clearly shown. detritus and invasion was forcefully removed from the substrate here. Adding no bottle bac shines light back on updated cycling science that says live rock bacteria is all any reef needs, we specifically did not buy or add bottled bacteria in any job we do in this thread.

old cycling science is specifically causing the loss of thousands of reefs that are months/years beyond cycling because old cycling science says any loss of systemic bacteria is harmful and causes mini cycles, and the takeaway would be that rip cleaning would kill tanks vs fix them for an upcoming fifty pages. Rip cleans save reefs that are eutrophic and heading for loss.

Old cycling science harms the hobby and keeps folks into buying repeated doses of bacteria out of fear and doubt, new cycling science helps the hobby and never the two will meet or agree on any aspect of cycling a reef tank that's for sure.

Last edited:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I give my word Shadow_k’s picture succession above has generated the most rip clean requests ive seen in direct requests. That succession pic set has saved twenty tanks and I’m waiting a while to see who was the most thorough. Unless someone wants to golden buzzer it, go right ahead, dude above rinsed 129 times lol

great job

this thread in its ideal state can’t be anything but the sheerest example of rip cleaning that humans can do. Instead of fifty pages of dang good A grade rip cleans, available, we got five pages of the genetic double expression A++ sorry it’s 1% of the population included. Among rip cleans there has to be a gradient

here would be the golden buzzer ones.

weeks after rip clean update from today on Shadow's tank
r3.jpeg

Last edited:

Jonas Bergkvist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is algae that should be easily reduced with liquid vibrant.
Other option would be a combo of : Conch snails, turbo snails, astrea snails and trochus snails. Also a sea Hare should mow this right down

I guess Vibrant would help, but then i think the Aquarium will be super cloudy afterwards? It would take some real effort to get rid of all the algae floating around = nutrients.

Had an acquaintance do that and the tank looked like **** for like three weeks. It got stuck everywhere and was a complete pea-soup-mess.

I like the more natural approach with a sea hare. And manual removal of the algae.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Team of recent posts here

read this thread start to finish

it’s not for vibrant or anyone’s doser

these are the top rip cleans in the world in this post, it’s not for anyones doser or vibrant or fluconazole etc, I’m asking/ begging folks please don’t take a rip clean work thread, solely results pics driven, and sub in non rip clean options

We need threads that are exclusive rip cleans that way we have contrast to the commoner methods

we link this to help people clearly define a rip clean from the fifty other methods they could choose. This is an assembly of the best rip cleans in the world, the only thing we add here is rip cleans done so well they can be associated with the best in the world. We want a short, concise non thirty page thread any reader can scan in five minutes

Anyone who uses vibrant risks killing their reef. Anyone who rip cleans will save their reef, there isn’t a ‘rip clean killed my tank’ thread for that reason.

@shadow_k
thank you for providing the latest example of a world class rip clean with no hesitation, fuss, or distraction you simply ripped the tank into compliance and that’s what we do here. I’ve completed ten rip cleans on file since yours and they’re updated in the sand rinse thread last pages

they weren’t added here because I saw one speck of sand in the water in their after pics heh.

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I guess Vibrant would help, but then i think the Aquarium will be super cloudy afterwards? It would take some real effort to get rid of all the algae floating around = nutrients.

Had an acquaintance do that and the tank looked like **** for like three weeks. It got stuck everywhere and was a complete pea-soup-mess.

I like the more natural approach with a sea hare. And manual removal of the algae.
I havent had much of cloudiness with use of vibrant. I always recommend to dose 80% of recommended dosage

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@shadow_k

can you help get our rip clean thread back on solid ground by posting a full tank shot of your post rip reef today in the afternoon after lights have brought out those wonderful corals

I can depend on you to support our method and I appreciate that.

Recent posters remember I’m not being mean or argumentative don’t take it that way. Most algae works threads are indeed a mix of recommends and the owner picks a best suggestion

but that’s all other threads, this one is to set the highest bar possible for reef tank surgery and compare results and consistency here to other common methods

Last edited:

shadow_k

I have a kickable face
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
B2D7F0C6-A9BD-47BF-8BD8-1F84BB4F1D44.jpeg
CC7F5276-69AA-4FD5-823C-C11342B70D5C.jpeg
Sure no problem! Here are my pictures I took last night after my rip clean in September as you can see no algae on sand or corals all corals are growing no issuesso far with tank health .

i 100% back the rip clean process it saved my tank and my investment I’ll do it again if I had too no hesitation.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other than gemlike quality pics that appear to be of an empty reef :) (hovering fish need no water now that’s clarity) the other standout character is we didn’t need a second rip.

one job done right stopped the entire eutrophication process dead in its tracks.

xabo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I needed to see this thread a week ago. This was the condition of practically all of the rock in the tank:
20210124_180915.jpg
IMG_1562.jpg

Got rid of the corals and fish and went to work on the rock with:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that'll certainly remove it :) but yes I'd have used the dentist / targeting approach plus the peroxide simply because it leaves less of a swath of cleared space/ is more precision working around coralline areas

but it wont harm anything for that to be the original pass above, those cleared areas will be bright and reflective and may want to take on algae so keep 'em guided clean until you plant corals on them or coralline takes over.

that was truly some thick invader I have no idea what the growth is. reefs are amazing in the diversity they present, somewhere in the universe a grazer is matched to that stuff. I wanted this thread to be force first, chemicals second, water dosers none, and heck that does qualify above. nice run

xabo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is the rock today:
IMG_1568.JPG
IMG_1569.JPG
IMG_1570.JPG
IMG_1571.JPG
IMG_1572.JPG
IMG_1573.JPG
IMG_1574.JPG

What I didn't do;
1. Mist/spray the rock with peroxide......I have 35% peroxide but read that it will kill the bacteria.

2. Rinse the sand.......Tank is a 225 gal. and sand is infested with aptasia. I figure it's better to just replace the sand.

Thoughts....................

Attachments

• IMG_1575.JPG
    IMG_1575.JPG
    223 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_1576.JPG
    IMG_1576.JPG
    213.7 KB · Views: 42

xabo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
that'll certainly remove it :) but yes I'd have used the dentist / targeting approach plus the peroxide simply because it leaves less of a swath of cleared space/ is more precision working around coralline areas

but it wont harm anything for that to be the original pass above, those cleared areas will be bright and reflective and may want to take on algae so keep 'em guided clean until you plant corals on them or coralline takes over.

that was truly some thick invader I have no idea what the growth is. reefs are amazing in the diversity they present, somewhere in the universe a grazer is matched to that stuff. I wanted this thread to be force first, chemicals second, water dosers none, and heck that does qualify above. nice run
I've been told it's Red Turf Algae....there's thread on it here on R2R:

I've tried everything suggested in the thread, Turbo Snails, Urchins etc. and nothing worked.

Question, did I kill off all of the bacteria?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back